May 2013 Moms

UPDATE: First bottle hesitation

Alright, so I may be overreacting...
Cross posted in Breastfeeding.

I've been "planning" on introducing a bottle for about a week now. LO is 6 weeks.

Am I crazy for not wanting to do the introduction? I'm very nervous it will have a negative effect on our latch. I also honestly don't want to share the time we have together.

We have a few weddings that i have to attend in August that LO will not be attending. So grandma will need to feed him. I was told by the LC that a bottle should be introduced by 6w.

I'm thinking I'm the one who needs the umbilical cord cut :mobile smiley:

Any advice? Any thoughts? Am I the only one who feels this way?? Thanks to all in advance!

Btw: he hates the pacifier...

EDIT: so we tried a bottle successfully. Was hesitant at first but saw that it produced milk and downed it. He took two ounces like a champ. He is finishing his meal nursing. Thank you for your stories and suggestions! It's great to know he will take it if needed!

Re: UPDATE: First bottle hesitation

• I feel exactly the same way!! I love our bonding time. We introduced a bottle this last week he was 6 weeks Tuesday. He would not take it, I will admit I got a little satisfaction out of this. He screamed and cried. I notice the flow on a lot of the nipples are really fast and he did not like that at all. I found a new bottle online that aren't for sale until end of this month, but it supposed to compare and feel like a breast to babies. The nipple extends upon suction to emulate the mechanics of breastfeeding to minimize nipple confusion.They are called BARE bottles. Bittylab.com sorry no clicky, check them out they look pretty awesome. I preordered a couple.
  • We intro'ed a bottle a lot sooner than we planned on, I think at 2 weeks, and she hasn't had any problem switching between bottle and breast. If anything, it has just reinforced how much she prefers the breast! She doesn't get a bottle every day, but maybe a couple times a week, like when I had a dentist appt the other day. She sometimes has a hard time latching on to the bottle nipple and gets really frustrated. Also, the bottle flows a lot faster and she usually coughs. Plan on taking several breaks at first just to let him catch his breath. And burp him frequently! Keep at it though, so that the bottle continues to become familiar. Good luck!

ETA my LO rarely takes a pacifier.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our m hated the paci at first, but figured it out, and the bottle was similar. We introduced around 3.5 weeks and she screamed the first two and now is pretty happy. We do one bottle every other day, to keep her familiar, but no question, she prefers the breast, so I would say, don't be afraid, at this point they know the real deal, and won't prefer the bottle, no matter what nipple.

The bonding is amazing, but having the freedom to occasionally go out to dinner or a wedding without fear baby will starve, is also key!

Good luck!

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• Good luck. We've been trying a bottle every day since she was 2wks and now at 8wks she has taken maybe 4... Not consistent at all. Hates the paci too. Was supposed to go back to work part time this week but have now postponed til August in hopes that she will take it. Doctor says if its not taken before 6wks it probably won't happen. I'm hopeful and hope your little one does well. I think that by this time you bond should be established and don't think that if the bottle is taken it will be harmed.
  • We started the bottle at 4 weeks and she has done well. We made sure she was really calm the first time we tried, and it was successful. H feeds her every bedtime now, and I'm glad they can have some time together. She has not lost any ground on the breast at all now at 6 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MAK06MAK06 member
    What you're feeling is totally normal! I cried the entire time I was pumping and when LO 1 got his first bottle. And while I held back the tears this time, I felt the same way. And we need to try again but I also keep postponing. As far as latch she's been breast feeding successfully for 6 weeks. She won't forget how to do it after one bottle :

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LO got a bottle before I was out of surgery because his glucose stores were low. I also had to supplement for a few days until my milk came in due to weight loss.

After a week and half old I didn't give bottles. The LC also said to introduce a bottle a few times a week so LO will take it. So far I only gave one and he did fine. No issues at all! He was slow to take it but then did fine. No prob with nipple confusion.

I also hate him not being on the breast but it is definitely for the best doing so a few times a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Thank you all! It's great to hear others feel the same and great to hear success stories. We are going to try tomorrow. Last night he was super fussy. Figured it would be a bad time to try a first go at the bottle. All the input is appreciated!! Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly for the both of us!
  • I agree with PP. You need to introduce it soon or she may not take it and you will be stuck. We introduced one at 4 weeks and LO still doesn't like them. I got him some of the tommee tippee bottles and he is taking them better but I was worried for a while because I do have to go back to work in sept. he definitely prefers breast though. Make
    Sure to start with a slow flow nipple. I used the dr browns preemie nipple. But switched to Tommee tippee level one because he didn't care for the dr brown bottle
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNJAZgirl:
    I agree with PP. You need to introduce it soon or she may not take it and you will be stuck. We introduced one at 4 weeks and LO still doesn't like them. I got him some of the tommee tippee bottles and he is taking them better but I was worried for a while because I do have to go back to work in sept. he definitely prefers breast though. Make
    Sure to start with a slow flow nipple. I used the dr browns preemie nipple. But switched to Tommee tippee level one because he didn't care for the dr brown bottle

The tommee tippee is what I have all boiled and ready. 0 slow flow. We are trying this afternoon. I know we need to do it just apprehensive! He is 6 weeks today. :mobile smile: Thank you for the advice!
  • We started at 4 weeks and I was more worried she wouldn't take the bottle than anything.
  • be888be888 member
    We introduced a bottle at 1 week, even though we were planning to wait the recommended amount of time to do so. I continued putting him on the breast at every feeding and then complemented with a bottle. Our son never had trouble going back and forth between the two, and now feeds on the breast 95% of the time. My husband likes the bonding time, and he spends so much time on my breast that I get plenty of bonding. GL! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"