Babies: 0 - 3 Months

extremely raw bottom...

My son is only a few days old we had a really rough delivery as well as some other complications that had, had him on a IV with a glucose drip as well as antibiotics and then having to have 2oz at least every two hours...which has led to him having a lot of diarrhea and then kind of seedy stools...unfortunately the combination has left his little bottom so raw it's starting to break skin..(this started happening this morning...calling doc in a bit)  i've tried desitin and baby powder but neither seem  to help much any suggestions what can I do to make it better?

Re: extremely raw bottom...

• AandD has one called Treat. Its different than their regular one. Cleared up my LOs bottom in a day.
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been using A and D and it's working really well. I hope you hear back from your doctor as he/she could offer more advice. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard some of the other ladies mention aquaphor cream. I just use burts bees diaper ointment and it's great but I'm not sure if it can be used when the skin is broken.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use a and d brand ointment. They have one called "treat" and one called "prevent". Try that. My mom also recommended to me for my baby to use a hair dryer on cool on her bottom after diapering to get her bottom really dry before putting on a new diaper. Plus my lo likes the sound.

New Mommy!!!

• MrsRKJMrsRKJ member

DS had the same thing when he was in the NICU.  While he was there they did a mixture of desitin & a&d ointment.  That helped clear it up a bit.  When he came home we started using Aquaphor, and it worked like a charm.  We still use it, and (knock on wood) DS hasn't diaper rash since.

Good luck! 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• Desitin worked really well for my first two, but did nothing to help DS. I use Aquaphor or A&D. They cleared it up very quickly and seemed to provide immediate relief. Plus they're good for all sorts of other issues. I put it in my little guys rolls to keep him from getting red there too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Aquafor. I would also ditch the baby powder.
  • Go for the A&D treat. You can put it on and then put a layer of vaseline on top of it. That way when you change his diaper again the poop is easier to wipe off and you don't wipe his skin as much. 

Skip the baby powder. Baby can inhale it and its a suffocation hazard. 

I hope it heals quickly. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• be888be888 member
    I agree with suggestions from PPs. Try going diaper less as much as possible. It's messy sometimes, but it helped clear a rash my son had really quickly.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• imageLolalipsy:
    I've heard some of the other ladies mention aquaphor cream. I just use burts bees diaper ointment and it's great but I'm not sure if it can be used when the skin is broken.

my son's bottom got like this and Burt's Bee's was the only cream that  helped... But every baby is different. You can also try aquaphoror Vaseline as more of a barrier from moisture.

also, use either ultra sensitive fragrance-free wipes or just a cloth with water for wiping baby's bottom. Be sure to dry baby's bottom thoroughly before putting any cream or anything on it... Since these things are intended to block moisture from baby's skin, you want to make sure the skin is dry when you put it on. Finally, any time that you can have LO out of a diaper and expose his skin to air will help. Maybe during tummy timer when he's lying on your chest, lie him belly down on. A towel so his little bum can air out.  

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I've also heard of using malox liquid blocks acid and using a hair dryer on cool to dry it in. We use AD or Aquafor, too.
  • Nix55Nix55 member
    This, absolutely! Put yourself in his shoes. Would you want to be lathered up in cream with a diaper on your raw bottom all day long? GL for a speedy recovery.
  • Definitely ditch the baby powder!

New Mommy!!!

• I know this sounds crazy, but is REALLY WORKS.  My mother did this with us when we were children and I've used it on my babies as well.  Heat a frying pan on medium-low heat and add 1/8 cup or so of white, all purpose flour to the dry frying pan.  DO NOT WALK AWAY as the flour will burn.  Continue to stir the dry flour in the pan until it turns a golden brown colour.  Once brown, remove the flour from the pan - I use a tupperware container so I can save the unused browned flour for another application.  

Wait until the browned flour has cooled (it doesn't take long).  Once cooled, apply generously to the baby's bottom, put the diaper back on.  Note: it's okay if it touches the genital areas, its only flour.  Its also best to do this right before bed time as that's usually the longest time the baby sleeps and therefore likely the longest the flour will be absorbent.  But you can re-apply the flour as much as you want.

My DD has diaper rash so bad she was bleeding and I put the flour on her and the next day her bum was perfect.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Butt Paste works like a charm for us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • skioskio member
    Switch to water only for wipes. Lay a few towels on the floor and let him air out at least an hour a day.

Coconut oil is a great, chemical free diaper ointment.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • There's a product called resinol that is awesome. I always had to get it from the pharmacist counter and it worked wonders on any rash my daughter got! :D
  • Use water with a little bit of baby soap instead of the wipes. Pat his bottom dry with a dry cloth and let him air out. If you're breastfeeding put milk on the bad area. 

• kellmokellmo member
    Clotrimazole cream.
    I work in a pharmacy and pediatricians order this all the time for diaper rash. It's sold over the counter. It's an anti fungal cream. It's also used for athletes feet. Clears it up ASAP.

Also lay out some towels and let the baby lay on them w/ no diaper on. Airing it out will also help.

Hope this helps!
  • I really like triple cream
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    Aquafor. I would also ditch the baby powder.

Yes, baby powder is no longer recommended, something about inhalation risk. We use A&D, Desitin never worked for us. My friends baby has a bad/bleeding rash and her pedi suggested neosporin and desitin and that seems to be working well for her. I think it depends on the baby!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • well, I had it starting to clear up (with the desitin) but later in the day it started getting worse again I couldn't get a hold of pediatrician
    (long story) so I called up to OB and they suggested doing what I had been...we had to go deal with some insurance stuff and July car rides even with a/c aren't any fun. However we ended up going to the ER because of issues with his arm (complications from delivery) and while we were there I asked the ER doctor (who was in contact with the pediatrician) what to do and she advised desitin and Vaseline on top of that (which has been working pretty well...the redness is starting to recede) he had a doctor appointment on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"