Parenting after 35

Teaching LO patience

I know impatience is part of the territory with toddlers, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help DD learn to be more patient. She begins whining or even screaming the.very.second she decides she wants something. She has been like that since she was a newborn. We used to say she could go from 0 to 60 in under a second. I usually tell her that I'll get what she wants as soon as I finish what I'm doing, and then just ignore the whining. Is there a better approach? How do kids learn patience and when?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teaching LO patience

• steverstever member

I'm no help. DS1 was awesome as a toddler, sweet and patient and not prone to tantrums, but he has been a terror since he turned 3.

It hard because your LO is still so young and won't understand punishment OR gentle explanations.

::hugs::

• Our first DS was a lot like your DD and can still be that way sometimes. Making our DS count helps a lot. When he was 2 he was seeing a speech therapist and she gave use the neatest handmade counting "toy." It was a half sheet of paper with 5 big circles printed on both sides. The paper was laminated and a piece of Velcro glued in middle of each circle. There was also 5 cut out red circles (laminated and Velcro glued to center).  Our DS had to place the red circles on the black circles printed on the paper and count to 5 as he did it. Then move the red circles to the other side of the paper while counting. He did this any time he had to wait for something. By the time he was done counting I'd be done getting his juice, toy, whatever. This little toy that therapist printed at home (and probably took all of 10 min to make) helped us thru some difficult times.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did what you are doing - when I'm done with this concrete task, I'll get what you want. It took awhile, but now, at 3, she does pretty well with it most of the time.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"