December 2010 Moms

Horrible dentist visit. :(

DS had his first dentist visit in Feb. and it went SO smoothly. They had us playing in this special "for younger kids" exam room for a while, then the dentist came in and he didn't sit in a chair or anything, she had him straddle my legs (I was sitting) and then she laid him back on her knees and mine so she could check his teeth.

Today DH took the kids (DD has had a toothache, so he decided to take both kids since they said they would do a cleaning for DS). Well, DS cried. And then not only did he cry but they tried to use what DH called a "jaw opener" (??) and then DS started crying and screaming really badly. Finally DH said no, this isn't going to work.

They want us to come back in a few months and try again. Now I'm afraid DS is going to dread the dentist. :( It was the same office (a "Spaceship Dentist" in our area, it's kids-only).

Anyone else have a bad dentist experience with their kiddo? 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015

Re: Horrible dentist visit. :(

• I would be mad that they would even try something like that when he clearly wasn't thrilled about it in the first place.  When we first took Aiden, it was like your first visit. He sat on my lap, laid back, etc.  It went great.  I mean, yeah, he cried when they did the cleaning, but loved everything else and got over it quickly.

I would just try again in a few months and see.  Maybe  he will forget.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, what?! I'd be looking for a new dentist. A good pediatric dentist doesn't want a kid to develop those negative associations with the dentist and would have waited. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"