Baby Showers

Shower for #2?

I am 30 weeks pregnant with #2, a boy.  We have an almost 3-yr old daughter.  I have hung onto the necessities like gender neutral clothing, bibs, blankets, bottles, breast pump, crib... etc.  But am still in need of a new baby bath, bath stuff (wash clothes, shampoo, lotion, etc), clothing, pacifiers... and miscellaneous things.  Is it inappropriate to want to have a shower?  What is the norm?  My sister and SIL want to put together a meet-the-baby shower, which I am totally happy with, I just don't want people to think it's lame or undeserving because it is baby #2.

Thoughts?

Re: Shower for #2?

• I was invited to a "sprinkle" for a friend who is in similar shoes as you.  It was actually a surprise for her since she is not one to ask for anything.  It was small and intimate with just her closest friends and her mom.  Nothing crazy.  I wouldn't expect anything.  If you are in need of all the other stuff, put some money aside or hit up some consignment stores,  you can find some pretty good stuff/deals at those places!
    imageimageimage
    Funny Anniversary Ecard: I love being married to my best friend. I can tell him anything because half the time he doesn't hear me.
    TTC Sine June 2013
    BFP #1 August 6, 2013  MC August 10, 2013
    Started temping January 2014
  • imageLaBlue24:

I am 30 weeks pregnant with #2, a boy.  We have an almost 3-yr old daughter.  I have hung onto the necessities like gender neutral clothing, bibs, blankets, bottles, breast pump, crib... etc.  But am still in need of a new baby bath, bath stuff (wash clothes, shampoo, lotion, etc), clothing, pacifiers... and miscellaneous things.  Is it inappropriate to want to have a shower?  What is the norm?  My sister and SIL want to put together a meet-the-baby shower, which I am totally happy with, I just don't want people to think it's lame or undeserving because it is baby #2.

Thoughts?

The bolded part is irrelevant as to whether it's ok to have a shower. 

Have a meet the baby party if you want.  People might still buy you some things, but it's your responsibility to buy the stuff...that's why it's irrelevant.  A meet the baby party would be nice...just don't register and if you have registered, DO NOT put it on the invite.  If people want to bring things, they can.  If they don't, they won't.  No pressure.  Showers imply gifts, and they're to welcome the woman to motherhood.  You're already a mother.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLaBlue24:

Thoughts?

You have a three year old already and you want another shower because you need stuff, seriously? I would side ye the hell out of this. I imagine that this is not common in your circle since you have to ask about it here. Don't do it. Have a meet the baby "party", not a shower. 

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• VORVOR member

imageLaBlue24:
    But am still in need of a new baby bath, bath stuff (wash clothes, shampoo, lotion, etc), clothing, pacifiers... and miscellaneous things.
    Hey, guess what?  YOU can go buy this stuff!  You don't need to get your family and friends to buy this stuff for you again.

You want another child?  Great.  it's YOUR responsibility to buy what you need for it. 

• imageLaBlue24:

But am still in need of a new baby bath, bath stuff (wash clothes, shampoo, lotion, etc), clothing, pacifiers... and miscellaneous things. 

Thoughts?

You should be able to buy all these things yourself.  If you can't, well, that's another issue altogether.  It's your responsibility to purchase items for your baby; not someone else's.  I can't imagine someone telling me they need other people to buy washcloths and shampoo for their new addition, or suggesting people buy these things. Why do other people have to buy your consumables?  Do you expect to receive enough shampoo and lotion to last until LO is ready for college or something?

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• imageLaBlue24:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you should go shopping.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• OP, I also just want to address the word "undeserving" that you decided to use.

It sounds like maybe you don't completely understand the nature of a baby shower.  No one deserves a baby shower.  Not a first time mom.  Not a second time mom.  Not a woman who has battled infertility for years and suprisingly becomes pregnant on her own.

That is because a shower is a gift.  No one deserves a gift, but sometimes people want to give you things because they like you or love you or because it's a Tuesday and they thought of you.

It's the same with a shower.  If someone decides to gift you a shower for your second baby-- cool.  If not, it's not because they think you don't deserve a shower.  They probably just understand that showers-- the gift of them-- are more often than not reserved as something for FTMs.  That's all.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageVOR:

imageLaBlue24:
    Hey, guess what?  YOU can go buy this stuff!  You don't need to get your family and friends to buy this stuff for you again.

You want another child?  Great.  it's YOUR responsibility to buy what you need for it. 

THIS EXACTLY
    TTC Since 6/12 regular periods with annovulation DH S/A healthy Hormones normal-all unexplained IF currently 10/12 50mg of clomid-no response-BFN 11/12 100mg of clomid-1 mature follicle-IUI #1=BFN 12/8/12 clear HSG 12/12 100mg of clomid-2 mature follicles-IUI #2=BFN 1/13 5mg femara un-monitored TI, BFN 2/13 7.5mg femara 2 mature follicles, IUI#3 BFN
  • imageLaBlue24:

Is it inappropriate to want to have a shower?  

Yup. 

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let me start by saying if someone wants to throw you a shower or what not that is great and that is their call. So many people judge and make you feel bad for even asking this question but you should not!! I too had a post like this and was judges and had very rude things said to me. My husbands family feels that every baby deserves to be celebrated and have decided to have a party for this baby even though we have older children from previous relationships. No matter which way you decide, shower or no don't let others ruin your happiness with their rude comments.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My thought is - why do you think it's someone else's responsibility to provide you with these "miscellaneous things"? 

• Noooooo. Showers are only for first time moms. They are also not to be treated as fundraisers. 

• imageSing2phins:

imagecarriensurg:
    Let me start by saying if someone wants to throw you a shower or what not that is great and that is their call. So many people judge and make you feel bad for even asking this question but you should not!! I too had a post like this and was judges and had very rude things said to me. My husbands family feels that every baby deserves to be celebrated and have decided to have a party for this baby even though we have older children from previous relationships. No matter which way you decide, shower or no don't let others ruin your happiness with their rude comments.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't say this on your own thread if you feel that strongly.  And not for nothing, but the ladies on November '13 were great to you when asked this over there.

I wasn't referring to the other board for you all were great! I was just letting her know that not everyone is rude or against having a second shower.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagecarriensurg:
    imageSing2phins:

imagecarriensurg:
    Let me start by saying if someone wants to throw you a shower or what not that is great and that is their call. So many people judge and make you feel bad for even asking this question but you should not!! I too had a post like this and was judges and had very rude things said to me. My husbands family feels that every baby deserves to be celebrated and have decided to have a party for this baby even though we have older children from previous relationships. No matter which way you decide, shower or no don't let others ruin your happiness with their rude comments.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't say this on your own thread if you feel that strongly.  And not for nothing, but the ladies on November '13 were great to you when asked this over there.

I wasn't referring to the other board for you all were great! I was just letting her know that not everyone is rude or against having a second shower.

Really, the only people who aren't against second showers in this post are the tacky and gift grabby people who are having second showers themselves (or would if they are having more than one child). It's the "I'm doing it, so it is completely cool and everyone will love it" type of mentality.  

Just because most people agree that second showers are tacky doesn't mean they are being rude. If you ask an opinion on an internet board, you're going to get opinions.    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLaBlue24:

Thoughts?

As other ladies have pointed out, not having certain things does not equal entitlement to a shower. As has been repeated on here many times, showers are to welcome a woman to motherhood. You are already a mother. Hence, a traditional shower does not apply here. Honestly, the list of stuff you still need can be acquired for very little money. Go bargain hunting. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get what you need without blowing the bank (not to mention it's, you know, your responsibility to get everything anyway...)

Now, if you've moved to a new location and some people you did not know before this pregnancy want to throw you a small shower, that may be permissible. In this instance, you should not register or invite anybody who was invited to a previous shower. Do consider, however, that even this suggestion is not always accepted.

• miam4miam4 member

Wow... people are a little hard around here! lol

I think if you had a boy 3 years ago and you were having another boy, it would be ridiculous to do it! You should have most of the things you need. ( i know 2 people that had the "ballz" to do it! One has a boy that is almost 2, and she is about to have the second baby boy next month, she did a shower and it was empty! She asked for things for both kids! Ridiculous! The other one was H's cousin she had a girl, and 1 year and 3 days later the other one was born, another girl! She also did a baby shower! I didn't go any of them!)  -- those are wrong!

Now your case is: you have a little girl already, and you are having a boy this time. I don't see anything wrong about having a shower. 

Now, if you plan to have baby #3, don't even think about doing a 3rd baby shower! Keep all the stuff, and then later on do a meet the baby party.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemiam4:

I think if you had a boy 3 years ago and you were having another boy, it would be ridiculous to do it! You should have most of the things you need. ( i know 2 people that had the "ballz" to do it! One has a boy that is almost 2, and she is about to have the second baby boy next month, she did a shower and it was empty! She asked for things for both kids! Ridiculous! The other one was H's cousin she had a girl, and 1 year and 3 days later the other one was born, another girl! She also did a baby shower! I didn't go any of them!)  -- those are wrong!

Now your case is: you have a little girl already, and you are having a boy this time. I don't see anything wrong about having a shower. 

Now, if you plan to have baby #3, don't even think about doing a 3rd baby shower! Keep all the stuff, and then later on do a meet the baby party.

And here comes my standard question...

WHAT DOES THE BABY'S GENITALIA HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING???

So, if this baby also had a vagina, no shower warranted.  But PENIS=SHOWER!!!  Makes total sense.  Either 2nd baby showers are tacky or "every baby deserves to be celebrated".  Can't have it both ways just because you're more excited about this baby's genitalia that you would be if it had been the same as the sibling's. 

• imagemiam4:

Can I ask what the genitals of the baby have to do with it being okay to have a second baby shower?

OP, second showers are tacky, and you are responsible for buying the items you need for your child. Just because you are missing things you will need is not an excuse to have another shower.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• "Every baby deserves to be celebrated!!!!!Well, except for you Tommy, you had a penis.  Unfortunately, we were already tapped out on our penis excitement because your older brother beat you to it.  Too bad you had a wang, no?" 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Buy your own crap, your child is only 3.
  • imageLaBlue24:

am still in need of a new baby bath, bath stuff (wash clothes, shampoo, lotion, etc), clothing, pacifiers... and miscellaneous things.  Is it inappropriate to want to have a shower? 

So...buy the items you need yourself? Why do you feel the need to ask other people to buy them for you by wanting a shower? I am having a boy this time around and am not having a shower. I've had some offers, but I decided that since DD isn't even 2 yet that I don't want to bleed my friends dry when its my responsibility to provide for my offspring.

I got married in 2009, had a baby in 2011, and am having another in 2013. My friends and family have been more than generous. Its time to be a big girl and buy your own schit.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Do you throw a party every time you run out of diapers or soap for your 3 year old? He still needs to be clean and you clearly don't want to buy anything yourself.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Wow! Every baby should be celebrated and a shower or a sprinkle or whatever you want to call can be thrown. It's not tacky it's a celebration. I don't think she wanted handouts just thoughts about having a second shower. Geez! Go ahead, celebrate mama!!!!!!
  • imagecarriensurg:

THIS!!! Stop being rude people..she was asking for advice, not for rude and disrespectful comments.

• imageJajturne:
    Wow! Every baby should be celebrated and a shower or a sprinkle or whatever you want to call can be thrown. It's not tacky it's a celebration. I don't think she wanted handouts just thoughts about having a second shower. Geez! Go ahead, celebrate mama!!!!!!

If you want up celebrate the baby, the baby should be there.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• rlg8rlg8 member
    imagemiam4:
    Wow... people are a little hard around here! lolI think if you had a boy 3 years ago and you were having another boy, it would be ridiculous to do it! You should have most of the things you need. i know 2 people that had the "ballz" to do it! One has a boy that is almost 2, and she is about to have the second baby boy next month, she did a shower and it was empty! She asked for things for both kids! Ridiculous! The other one was H's cousin she had a girl, and 1 year and 3 days later the other one was born, another girl! She also did a baby shower! I didn't go any of them!nbsp; those are wrong!Now your case is: you have a little girl already, and you are having a boy this time. I don't see anything wrong about having a shower.nbsp;Now, if you plan to have baby 3, don't even think about doing a 3rd baby shower! Keep all the stuff, and then later on do a meet the baby party. nbsp;

This!
  • If you want one and your family wants to give it, go ahead! Some cultures embrace a shower for each baby. Everyone is different. I would advise don't come here for validation!

Three ectopic preganacies in left tube in 1999, 2003 and 2004. HSG in 2010 concluded left tube blockage. IUI with femara in 2012 BFN. IVF #1 June 2013, 20 retreived, 14 mature, 12 fertilized via ICSI, one transferred, four frozen, BFN.  FET in September 2013 - BFN:( FET #2 April 2014 - BFP!!!!

Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God,the Maker of all things. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Ecclesiastes 11 4:5  

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"