Military Families

Couple of New Questions about housing and what not

OK!! So I've been researching different bases and on post housing options and all that good stuff. What is the deal with Balfour Beatty Communities? I know they do the on post housing for several bases and everything I've heard about them is horrible. I was wondering if any of ya'll had any experience with these communities?

Secondly I've heard horrible stories about drama between wives on base? Is it really like this? It's making me hesitant about living on base. 

imageimageimage
  imageimage
image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb

Re: Couple of New Questions about housing and what not

• I've been living in base housing in Hawaii for 2 years. Which is Forrest City. We will be PCSing to Groton, CT shortly and in dealing with Balfour Beatty there they seem pretty similar. They are businesses and they are trying to make money and protect their investment. Both times with housing I felt like the first house they offered us was really not a good fit for us. I was persistent but nice and both times we were able to get into housing that was better for us. I think being nice helped but maybe not :) They aren't always the fastest with maintenance on somethings. It depends on what it is. Dishwasher took over a month to get serviced when it started acting up. Washing machine broke and water came through the ceiling that was a same day fix. Garage door broke closed and I was stuck in the garage they were there in 30 mins, but our termites that were here when we moved in they still haven't really handled. Looks like they will have to tent when we move out. I think they were putting us off on that one because they didn't want to pay for our hotel. We weren't too much pushing it because we have small children so maybe would be fixed by now if we had been pushier. We have called 6 times during the 2 years about the broken lawn watering system that shoots water into the air... Still broken. So I think on the most important issues they were fast. As for drama I've never had a problem. I've only really gotten to know a few wives here. We knew people before we moved on base. We mostly hang out with them. Not to say there isn't drama but we've never really had to deal with it personally. Yes we have some neighbors who aren't my favorites, like some who have kids they don't watch or dogs who they don't pick up after but I think you have that everywhere. 
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

I don't have any experience with that particular housing area, but for future reference, anything run by Lincoln Military Housing is beeeeautiful. If you ever get a chance to live in any of their housing take it, they're fantastic.

Drama is what you make of it. I don't even know most of my neighbors lol. Stay away from drama and it stays away from you. ;-)

• Loading the player...
  • Our housing is also run by Hunt, and we've had a pretty good time of it. I try to be really nice and positive with the Housing Office and the maintanence staff, and, you really do catch more flies with honey. We also live on a pretty small base, so things tend to get done quickly, it's likely H's next assignment will be a much larger base, so we'll see how it goes there. I have had absolutely no neighbor drama, except for socials or the O club or just seeing them while we're in the yard, we don't socialize with the neighbors that much, so we have a "say hi" relationship. There's far more likely to be drama in a specific squad spouse group than from your neighbors. There's been minimal drama within our squad's spose group, but on the balance it's been really nice to have. I think a lot of spouses get scared off of participating, and that's really a shame because you meet so many people and you can get a lot of support.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm at Ft Carson and we are managed by Balfour Beatty. I don't think any housing management company is perfect and there are some people that have issues. There are also people that *create* their own issues. I have never had an issue with Balfour Beatty. They do try to keep the housing areas clean, landscaped, and in good condition.

As far as the neighbors, it really depends on who they are. I've seen just as much drama in lower enlisted housing as I have in other housing areas. (I was mayor of my village, so I was regularly in touch with all other villages.) My neighbors tend to keep to themselves, and I'm okay with that! I involve myself with other activities, like the FRG, to meet new people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BB is about to be canned where we are.  They are horrible.  There are houses with black mold issues that have not been addressed. There are houses that flood every time it rains that haven't been addressed.  There are bug problems that haven't been fixed.  It's terrible.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we had BB and only had one complaint about the monoply they forced us into for cable. other than that they were fine. we were in Groton CT. there was no drama in my neighborhood but i think that depends on the people. we were in a e7 and above neighborhood that was very drama free. i have heard about not so good things in other neighborhoods

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• imageMozzy24:
    I don't have any experience with that particular housing area, but for future reference, anything run by Lincoln Military Housing is beeeeautiful. If you ever get a chance to live in any of their housing take it, they're fantastic. Drama is what you make of it. I don't even know most of my neighbors lol. Stay away from drama and it stays away from you. ;

Not necessarily everywhere. There are a lot of issues here with mold in LMH that they weren't fixing.
  • imageiluvmytxrgr:
    BB is about to be canned where we are.  They are horrible.  There are houses with black mold issues that have not been addressed. There are houses that flood every time it rains that haven't been addressed.  There are bug problems that haven't been fixed.  It's terrible.  

Mold issues in the BB housing where we are too. I wouldn't feed into the "neighbor drama" concerns though--like anywhere, that's what you make of it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"