January 2014 Moms

Undercooked lobster!?

So, I'm nervous. I am on vacation in Maine this week, and asked my OB before leaving if lobster was cool to eat. She said absolutely, as long as it was well cooked.

So of COURSE last night while chowing down on lobster, I bit into the claw of my second one and yup, it was definitely undercooked. I swallowed it before fully realizing what was up.

Just a small bite and so far I am not having any symptoms of food poisoning or anything. But I am still so nervous. If the lobster did have bacteria or something, would it definitely hurt the baby? If I make it through to tomorrow without developing food poisoning, does that mean I am in the clear? AAAACK! 

TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: Undercooked lobster!?

• I would assume if you don't get sick, you'll be fine. Even if you get sick, the baby may still be fine as well. Not much you can do but wait at this point.  Plus, I assume if it was bad, you'd already be feeling some of the effects (at least I have with food poisoning in the past!).
    pregnancy due date Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I'm sure you're fine - I had a similar level of panic a few days ago when I ate lunchmeat from a deli without heating it first (lol - these rules are so ridiculous).  I told my OB bc I had an appointment yesterday and she said that if I started throwing up or got a high fever, to call her, but otherwise I'll be fine.

I'd say the same goes for your lobster incident - if you feel fine - I'm sure you're okay.  If you end up getting really sick - call your doc asap!

Hope this helps.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • oh man that sucks!!! I love a good Maine lobster!

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine and you'd be sick by now if you had food poisoning.

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• imagecpm1223:

oh man that sucks!!! I love a good Maine lobster!

ME TOO! And these were delicious, fresh lobsters. My friend is friends with a lobsterman, and he cut us a deal. We picked them up right from the boat, they were fresh from the water!

I have never had an undercooked lobster before in my life, and as a New Englander I have eaten hundreds of these bad boys. It would figure the very first time I end up biting into a lobbie that isn't cooked right, and I'm pregnant. FIGURES!

I'm sure I'm fine, I wish there wasn't so much to worry about though! Gah. Stick out tongue

TWO Babies in 2014!
    DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

• Undercooked food does not always equal food poisoning. It's scary to think it might happen, and is one of the top fuels of my anxiety, but seafood is held to pretty high standards with storage and transport, and no restaurant wants you to get sick and stop patronizing them.

If you didn't become ill within 8-24 hours, you're in the clear.  :)

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • imageMissMeegs:
    imagecpm1223:

oh man that sucks!!! I love a good Maine lobster!

ME TOO! And these were delicious, fresh lobsters. My friend is friends with a lobsterman, and he cut us a deal. We picked them up right from the boat, they were fresh from the water!

I have never had an undercooked lobster before in my life, and as a New Englander I have eaten hundreds of these bad boys. It would figure the very first time I end up biting into a lobbie that isn't cooked right, and I'm pregnant. FIGURES!

I'm sure I'm fine, I wish there wasn't so much to worry about though! Gah. Stick out tongue

Sorry I didn't see this part until after posting! You would have needed one sick crustacean to get sick if you plucked it right from the sea! Girl, you are golden!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Now I want lobster specifically a lobster roll. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• imagehopeful808:
    Now I want lobster specifically a lobster roll. 

Me too!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"