Multiples
Options

Are your twins short?

My b/g twins are currently not on the chart for their length. Their weights are both in the normal range and they were when they were born. They were both around 19 inches at birth.

Were your twins shorter than average when born and are they now? If not, when did they 'catch up' to the chart?

I'm just curious they are both growing fine. Just on the smaller side and I wondered if it was a twin thing. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Are your twins short?

• Options
    My triplets are very short all in 1-2% They were short at birth also. But my oldest is also short. I have no idea if mine will have growth jumps or not.  I was told by a dr not to expect mine to ever get tall my DH is only 5ft7in and I am only 5ft2in so not expected to have tall kids lol. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My girls were 19" when they were born (they were 6lb5oz and 6lb8oz). So far, they have remained in the 25th or so percentile, for both weight and height. We go for their 9 mo check at the end of this month. Their genetic parents (we did donor embryo) are of average height.

While part of it might be a twin thing, since they would typically start out on the smaller side, I think the difference in the percentiles at this age, especially in terms of height, have to be relatively small. And really, it's tough enough to measure a squirmy baby, but to be accurate within a quarter inch?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My guys were in the 90th percent when they were measured at their 2 yr appt.  I think genetics play more of a role in overall height than being twins.  DH and I are average height- but my side of the family have some very tall men- so who knows how tall my boys will be
  • Options

Yes.  I'm 5'5" and DH is 6'.

DH, his brother, his nephew were all really short until puberty....so who knows.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    image1tripsmom:
    ;I was told by a dr not to expect mine to ever get tall my DH is only 5ft7in and I am only 5ft2in so not expected to have tall kids lol.nbsp;

Same here, only I'm 5'1". My boys have always been under the 10th percentile, but are now in the fifth. I suppose it's genetics more than the twin thing.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    Their doc had said that genetics don't begin to play a role until around age 2. He said up until that point their height has a lot to do with how big they were at birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine were under 2nd percentile for height and weight at birth. Now, at 5 months, they're maintaing the 2nd percentile weight curve, but have shot up to 50th percentile for height! So they are definitely tall!
  • Options
    No, my 4 year old boys are very tall (80th and 95th percentile); and my girls are 6 months and are 40th and 50th for height. My side of the family is tall. I'm the "shortest" at 5'8"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine are not on the charts for their actual age, and only in the 1-2% for adjusted age. I am short amd my H is average.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Yes, they are both short. My husband is 6' and I am 5 3'. Our son is average height, according to the percentiles. It'll be interesting to see if the girls catch up as they get older (they were small at birth at 17" and 18.5") or if they take after me :).

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options
    DS was 5lb5oz and 18".  DD was 4lb14oz and 17".  I will find out in 10 days where they are at but yes, mine are still pretty short.  Ashleigh is a little peanut.  Anthony is maybe an inch or two taller than her.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"