Birthday Parties
Options

Not having a birthday party

Is it mean to not throw a party for my (almost) 4 yr old? 

My mother in law keeps having digs at me about not organising him anything but I really don't understand why. He doesn't really have many friends so I wouldnt have anyone to invite so it seems pointless organising one. He's still going to be getting presents and we're taking him to the zoo for the day so it isn't like we're ignoring it competely! 

Is it me being a bad mum or is it just my MIL being her usual irritating self? 

Re: Not having a birthday party

• Options

As long as

1) you're acknowledging the day and

2) he's not begging you for a party

I don't see anything wrong with this or mean about it.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

As long as

Agreed 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, is fine as long as he isn't asking for one and you do presents, cake and something fun and special

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    As long as you're making him feel special that day that's all that really counts. You don't want to throw a party with mostly adults and a few of his friends. I would have loved going to the zoo for the day when I was a kid! Have a great time.
  • Options
    We just had DS's 3rd birthday party this past Sunday and I have been exhausted since! I already told DH we were skipping the party next year and going to the aquarium and having lunch or dinner with our close family. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

As long as

I agree. 4 is getting to the age where kids really love birthday parties though, so be prepared for him to want one. 

• Options
    He hasn't shown any interest in having a party so I think we'll be fine.

I'm glad you all agree its not an absolute necessity :)
  • Options

it is my observation that IL's will disagree with any decision their DIL makes so ignore her.

Apparently the party I'm planning is TOO big in my IL's opinion.  So you can't win with them either way, it seems.

• Options
    I agree with the pps, but have you directly asked him if he wants one or not?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For my son's 1st birthday we're going all out.  The rest of them will be immediate family over for cake and ice-cream.  At least until he is old enough to want a birthday party with kids his age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"