C-sections

Eating before & after c-section questions..

My c/s is scheduled for next Tues & I just got back from the Dr - he said no food or water (!!!) for 8 hours before surgery - so nothing after midnight the night before.  I plan on eating a meal around 11:30pm - any suggestions?  I'm thinking maybe a breakfast type meal of eggs, potatoes, toast and a gallon of water ;) - protein + carbs to tide me over...  the no water part is going to be really tough...

How soon after the c-section do they let you eat/drink?   And how long does it take until you get into your actual hospital room (not the recovery room)?  I'm wondering what time we should tell the family to come meet the baby...?

I had a c/s with DS but I had actually gone into labor before my scheduled date & they delivered him very late at night (he was breech) - so since it was so late it was different than how it will be this time... (unless I go into labor between now & Tues!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eating before & after c-section questions..

• I would keep things pretty light.  The emptier your stomach, the better.  I had supper at the regular time and a small snack about 9:30.  You'll be so excited that you won't be hungry. 

I had my section at 9am and was still in the recovery room when they brought me a "clear liquids" lunch about 11:30.  I was so hungry that I went to town on the juice and broth.  A big mistake, because it all came back up.  Take it easy on the foods/liquids.  I was brought into my room shortly after that. 

I had my MIL bring my step-sons down after school (about 4pm)  I was able to have a nap and bonding time with my baby before greeting family.

• I ate very filling foods before my c/s's (I had one at 7:00am and a RCS a few weeks ago at 5:00pm).  I didn't have much of an appetite for a while after.  I had to wait to eat until I wasn't feeling nauseous, and I felt sick if I sat up too straight.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • jefkjefk member

I just had a c/s last Friday.  I had a huge meal around 11pm the night before, and a cup of herbal tea that morning.  I wish I hadn't eaten such a heavy meal.  I vomited bile constantly (every 15 minutes or so) for several hours after surgery.  I spent two hours in the recovery room before moving to my hospital room.  However, because of how sick I was, we told family not to come until Saturday.

ETA - My surgery was at 2pm.  I was given nothing until I stopped vomiting, then ice chips and juice for a few hours.  I don't think I actually ate anything until Saturday morning.

• I'm not sure about the meal. I went into labor and ended up with an unplanned c section. I had eaten a banana and PB English muffin on the drive to hospital.

As for timing if visitors, DS was born at 9:13 am. We didn't have visitors until about 5:00pm because I didn't get into my recovery room until about 4:00. I had high blood pressure after that they had to monitor. I'd just tell your family you'll play it by ear and let them know.

Also, I was on a liquid diet the night of c section and for 24 hrs. I had chicken broth for supper and grits at breakfast.

Good luck!!
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't eat a meal at 11:30 unless you normally do. Light snack would be better. I sipped water up until a couple hours before my surgery but you're not supposed to do that. I was okay without food up until I got out of recovery and then I was starving and the kitchen had closed for the night so they only had juice and jello available. That sucked. Only time in my life I was craving broth I assure you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I doubt you'll be hungry even if you ate at an earlier time like 7-8 pm the night before.

They let me eat ice chips almost immediately after the c/s, within 15 minutes.

They let me eat real food (I chose grilled cheese) shortly after returning to my room after recovery, which was about ... 2 hours post c/s? Just eat slowly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I wish I ate a meal last time. I was so excited I just went. Well I arrived on a Saturday morning at 8am. I didn't have my baby till 4pm Sunday. I finally was able to eat late late Sunday night but I was too tired so I ate Monday am. This time I will be sure to eat (normal quantity) before I drive there. 

• BTW my c section was not planned it was after my body never dilating 

• jb2rnjb2rn member

Honestly, bring snacks.

I felt find after my c/s - no nausea. Since mine was unplanned, I had not eaten in about 36 hours so I was hungry.

I ate a clif bar about 4 hours post op. And drank a bunch of water, I was so thirsty.

They most likely will start you off on clear things to make sure you don't get sick, so start with water, if you do ok, then I would plan to bring some fruit, crackers, etc with you, so you have them in your room to nibble on.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I wasn't able to eat almost 24 hours before mine and about the same after.  I was on mag though so that may have played a part of it.  

I would eat light though because you don't want to be so full that the meds make you sick.  I hadn't eaten and I still puked 3 times after surgery.  It was horrible. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was super thirsty and never thought I'd make it without drinking from midnight until my section at noon, but as soon as my IV was in and they were filling me full of fluids, the thirst subsided. DH made me a big strawberry milkshake at 11pm the night prior. It was heavenly!
  • Thanks for all the input.  I get concerned about not eating b/c I'm so sensitive to the pg hormones, that when I wake up if I don't eat some toast right away I throw up.  I still throw up even now being 9 mos pg at least every other week or so...

I think I'll prob have a light sandwich around 11pm the night before - I'm thinking a chicken sandwich will be good...  eggs will be too heavy..  If I don't eat anything late that night I'll def wake up & puke even before leaving for the hospital!  lol

• I was scheduled to go to L&D at 12:30 pm and they told me nothing to eat or drink after midnight.  I certainly did not wake up at night to eat, so I had last eaten at 8 or 9 pm.  I sipped on water in the morning up until about 10 because I was SO thirsty.  My c/s was at 3:00 and they didn't let me eat for 6 hours afterward.  So, it had been 24 hrs since I'd eaten. I was starving.

I didn't get to my PP room until 8 pm because of bleeding in recovery and then nurses' shift change.  I had my family wait until the next day to meet DD.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My mom made me a huge breakfast the night before. I ate around 11:45. I don't remember when I ate after I got to the room. I wasn't even hungry. As soon as they were done in the OR, I was taken back to my room. We had our families come in an hour later.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My rcs was scheduled for 10, so I set my alarm and woke up at 2am had a mini bottle of water and a cream cheese and jelly sandwich (seriously i sat up in my bed and ate and then went right back to bed!) I didn't want to eat anything too heavy because of heartburn . I was able to eat as soon as I passed gass, which was a while (don't let them give you laxatives!!!) but we were in our room outside of recovery maybe 3 or so hours afterwards.

• My Csection was scheduled for 1:30 pm and my son ended up coming at 2:31 pm. I had dinner the normal time the night before, and of course was starving by 11:30 am when I had to be at the hospital.  I was in recovery from about 3-430 pm and then wheeled into my room.  After all was said and done, they brought me a clear liquid diet around 6 pm and it came up soon after.  It was not fun throwing up after having that surgery. Defintely take it easy.

View Full Size Imageimage 

View Full Size ImageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

View Full Size ImageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"