Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Crazy feeding & eating schedule

So my DD who is 11 weeks has been way off with her eating and sleeping schedule.  She will usually wake around 5-6am to eat and then go right back to sleep until 9-10am after being put to bed at 9-10pm.  For the past two nights she has slept completely through the night sleeping 12 to 12.5 hours.  I figure she would be starving when she woke up but it seems like she has no interest in food.  She used to take 5oz with no problem and no it seems like a struggle to get her to take even 3oz.  Could this possibly be a growth spurt? Or is she creating a new schedule for herself? 

Re: Crazy feeding & eating schedule

• imagecarin123:

So my DD who is 11 weeks has been way off with her eating and sleeping schedule.

Hold up, there is no "way off" when it comes to eating at this stage. Sorry. Its ALL individual. So just because it seems "off" to you doesn't mean it is. Please please realize that your child has needs that don't necessarily follow what you think is "normal" or "on point". Its not "off". Its what your baby needs right now. It will change too, often and trying to figure out a pattern or make sense of it will just drive you bonkers. Just go with the flow man.  

imagecarin123:She will usually wake around 5-6am to eat and then go right back to sleep until 9-10am after being put to bed at 9-10pm.  For the past two nights she has slept completely through the night sleeping 12 to 12.5 hours.  I figure she would be starving when she woke up but it seems like she has no interest in food.  She used to take 5oz with no problem and no it seems like a struggle to get her to take even 3oz.  Could this possibly be a growth spurt? Or is she creating a new schedule for herself? 

It sounds like she is adjusting to new calorie needs/requirements. A growth spurt would be the opposite. She would be requesting more food more often. As long as she is gaining weight appropriately and doesn't seem miserable then I'd go with what she is working out for herself.

She could also be more aware/distracted by life right now a little bit. That could be the reason she is eating less. I wouldn't force feed her (not that you are, but the solution is not always food!) or offer her food without her giving you queues that she is ready for it. Instead, try different activities and snuggles. She could just need a little more (not a lot more) stimulation.

Are you formula feeding or breast feeding? If you are concerned about conserving formula (legit concern) then make 2 ounces at a time. Offer it and throw it out if she doesn't finish it. If you are BF, just give her the breast as often as she asks for it. Lanolin is your friend!

Try not to be so Type A (that is vibe I get the from the post) about this. Go with the flow man, your kid won't starve themselves, I promise! 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Babies appetites wax and wane.  As long as they are growing then I wouldn't worry too much!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said "way off".  It's just been different from the schedule she has created for herself before.  I let her call all the shots.  She gets formula and has always been a slow eater and has never eaten the what the pedi recommends of 24oz a day.  She usually does about 20oz but the past two days she hasn't even done that.  I'm a FTM and obviously new to all this.  I will try just making smaller bottles and see where that gets us.  Thank you.
  • imagecarin123:
    Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said "way off".  It's just been different from the schedule she has created for herself before.  I let her call all the shots.  She gets formula and has always been a slow eater and has never eaten the what the pedi recommends of 24oz a day.  She usually does about 20oz but the past two days she hasn't even done that.  I'm a FTM and obviously new to all this.  I will try just making smaller bottles and see where that gets us.  Thank you.

No problem! I'd say as long as she doesn't seem like she is upset and is gaining appropriately then you should be A OK. Also, does she have enough wet/dirty diapers? The formula can sometimes slow their system (back them up etc.) and so they may need less per day as they adjust their eating/sleeping/pooping intervals.

The only time you need to worry is if there are not enough wet/dirty diapers. I believe at this stage (double check with your pediatrician) that 8-10 (or more) dirty diapers a day indicates sufficient hydration. Dehydration is the concern if they don't eat enough during the day, but a 4 ounce difference from the average recommendation is not a huge deal in my estimation.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagecarin123:
    Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said "way off".  It's just been different from the schedule she has created for herself before.  I let her call all the shots.  She gets formula and has always been a slow eater and has never eaten the what the pedi recommends of 24oz a day.  She usually does about 20oz but the past two days she hasn't even done that.  I'm a FTM and obviously new to all this.  I will try just making smaller bottles and see where that gets us.  Thank you.

My LO has ALWAYS done this. At 15 lbs, she should be taking in 30+ oz of formula day according to the recommendations for formula intake...but she doesn't. She only takes in maybe 24 oz in a day. Some days 23, some days 26 but on average, 24.  I understand it's worrisome-I was super worried that my LO was getting the nutrition she needed/wanted for some reason! But around 11 weeks, she was taking in about that much-on average 20 oz, some days more some days less. But 12 weeks happened and she hit a growth spurt, took on ALOT of formula for 4 days, and now her intake hovers around 24-25 oz in a day. It will adjust when she needs it :)

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • My LO does the same. She is 14 weeks but started sttn at 10 weeks and doing exactly what your LO does. She takes forever to finish her morning bottle. Its like she wakes up and is ready to go, not wanting to waste time to eat lol. She makes up for it in the afternoon and evening then for sure! I doubt she is reaching 24oz of milk a day but I go by her weight gain and dirty diapers which have been spot on. I just figure she knows what she is doing! You sound like you are doing a great job momma!
  • leasajleasaj member
    imagecarin123:
    Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said "way off".nbsp; It's just been different from the schedule she has created for herself before.nbsp; I let her call all the shots.nbsp; She gets formula and has always been a slow eater and has never eaten the what the pedi recommends of 24oz a day.nbsp; She usually does about 20oz but the past two days she hasn't even done that.nbsp; I'm a FTM and obviously new to all this.nbsp; I will try just making smaller bottles and see where that gets us.nbsp; Thank you.

I BF and my little one who is almost 11 wks has had a decrease of appetite lately. Yesterday she only had abt 12 oz. I called pedi and they weren't concerned. Told me as long as she had at least 6 wet diapers then not to worry...but its hard not to.
  • Thank you all so much! While it has made me very nervous I have definitely found comfort in knowing others are going through it too.
  • I've seen you posted questions on your baby meals and I thought I could help you with a suggestion. I advise a start-up that developed an app for parents to inspire them with healthy meals for their babies. If you find it interesting,(here is the link with the details on the app https://earlystart.me/) just leave a message and I'll give you the direct link to download the app. They provide the link to a limited number of moms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"