Working Moms
Options

NWMR - would you hire a contractor with a past felony conviction?

We are getting estimates to have our house painted.  I found a company with really good reviews in my immediate area.  I tried to look at the on Angie's list as well but their page was flagged with a statement about a felony conviction.  It was vague.

So the owner came out, nice guy in his thirties.  We had a great meeting with my husband.  As he was leaving, he said he would be happy to provide letters of recommendation.  I said, "speaking of that, did you know that you have a warning about a felony conviction associated with your company on Angie's list?"  He look surprised, acted like he wasn't sure what it was referring to and said we didn't have to worry about any of his guys.  He said something to the effect that it could be some trouble that his ex-girlfriend was stirring up.  After he left, my husband and I agreed that he seemed like a good choice assuming his estimate looked good.

On a whim tonight, I googled his name and the first hit was a sex offender site.  With his photo.  Convicted of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse in 2004.  We are so bummed.  He seemed like a really good professional.  Would we be dumb to consider hiring him?  I can easily argue both sides and would like to get a general idea of how others would see this.  All work would be done on the exterior of the house.  He works with a crew and would never have access to the interior of the house.  WDYT?  

Re: NWMR - would you hire a contractor with a past felony conviction?

• Options
    I'd have wanted him to be honest. If he had said, "yes, that's because I made mistakes and have done wrong in the past. I did my time and I've changed. Etc"

I wouldn't hire a liar on top of that.

image image
  • Options
    Not with THAT felony conviction, and the lying. No WAY.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, the fact that he lied about it somehow makes it worse.  If he had been upfront about it, I MIGHT consider it.
  • Options
    No way, and I would be annoyed if I found out my neighbors knowingly hired a sex offender to work in the neighborhood!
  • Options
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority so far, but I'd still hire him. If all the business aspects check out and look good that's what I'd base the decision on. Also, it doesn't sound like he flat out lied, maybe the offense IS based on an incident with his
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No way!!! I would not consider it a second longer. Agree w/ pp - If I was your neighbor, I'd be PO'd that you knowingly hired a convicted sex offender to work in our neighborhood. IMHO, there are felony convictions that aren't horrible - stealing gas f

• Options

imageNicoleWI:
    Not with THAT felony conviction, and the lying. No WAY.

this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would NOT hire him with that specific felony conviction.  No way. 
  • Options
    imageMdWestMom:
    No way!!! I would not consider it a second longer. Agree w/ pp If I was your neighbor, I'd be PO'd that you knowingly h
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options

imageEstwd2:
    imageEllaHella:<
  • Options
    Nope. Not with that type of conviction.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member

imageMamaAllison:
    You don't think people can change? If that's the case then shouldn't there only be life sentences? Do you realize
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member

imageMamaAllison:
    You don't think people can change? If that's the case then shouldn't there only be life sentences? Do you realize
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member

imageMamaAllison:
  • Options
    imageRachieTK:

imageNicoleWI:

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options

The lying/ acting dumb part of it bothers me more.  We were looking for nannies and there was one I liked.  When I asked for a background check, she started being weird.  Had to rush out of town for a family death, was stuck down there f

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I have hired a contractor with a past felony conviction, but I would not in your case.

In our situation, he had a drug charge from his late teens.  He served his time and he had been clean for 5 years or so.  DH and I agreed we wouldn

• Options

imageMamaAllison:
    imageMdWest

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    I'm not sure. It's easy to say based on what I read, no way. The lying does bother me but he could be telling the truth his ex was involved. However, if I met with him, felt comfortable and competent he could perform his work effectively I may consider hi
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

To add- we hired a carpet guy who used to have a huge drug addiction problem.  He was VERY upfront about it and how he turned his life around.

He did a great job, was always there when he said he would be, etc.  

I absolutely bel

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I've had a zillion contractors out to my house over the past year. Other than callingreferences or checking Angie's list I certainly didn't do criminal background checks. All I went by is my gut instincts about their personality and the references.&nbs

• Options
    I wouldn't hire him now because he lied.  And now I would assume he'd hire anyone to work with him as well.  Because if I couldn't trust him to answer about himself how could I take his word on anyone else?
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go with my gut instinct.  If you and DH felt comfortable with him and the work is being done on the exterior of the house, I think I'd be okay with it.

The fact of the matter is that no one knows

• Options
    No way, especially since he lied.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageEllaHella:
    What does deviate sexual behavior mean on the report? That would factor in possibly. But yea, I would probably stil
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    So, you know he raped someone.  Then he lied about it.  This is someone who will be in your home.  WIth you, and your child perhaps?  If he had said "yes, I used to party and things got out of hand one night and went too far and I have
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • Options
    Hello no.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageVirgo17:

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go with my gut instinct.  If you and DH felt comfortable with him and t

• Options
    imageVirgo17:

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go with my gut instinct.  If you and DH felt comfortable with him an

• Options

I might hire someone with a felony conviction if it was for something non-violent and a dumb mistake they made when they were a kid. But involuntary deviate sexual intercourse is rape: by force,  of someone who is intoxicated or drugged, of someon

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageiluvmylab:
    imageVirgo17:</s
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    herohero member
    imageVirgo17:

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go with my gut instinct.  If you and DH felt comfortable with him and t

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • Options

How is THIS sex offense "involuntary" 

Though, how he explained it would make sense "an ex stirring up trouble"

HOWEVER: If I was your neighbor, I'd be pissed if I wasn't informed... because he may not have access to YOUR

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    No way, especially not with that conviction.

• Options
    imageiluvmylab:
    imageVirgo17:</s
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    I think this was the same guy who came and did an estimate at my condo!
  • Options

I have to tell all of you, DO NOT HIRE this guy. I did my own research and one of my friends knew all about him and did not have anything good to say. He presents himself as such a professional and nice guy, that?s because he is a narcissist and pathological liar. The person he committed the crime against was not his ex-girlfriend but a teenage girl. His reviews are so good because he wrote some of them under phony profile names or has family members write them.  It?s crazy because sex offenders are not allowed to join the some of the social websites he lists his company is on. Why would you ever want to take the chance of having a convicted sex offender in your home or around your children?

• Options

imageEstwd2:
    imageEllaHella:
    What does deviate sexual behavior mean on the report? That would factor in possibly. But yea, I would probably still hire him.
    I looked it up. It means he forced sexual intercourse on someone by threat, or when she was unconscious, or on a mentally ill person, etc. So yeah, he's a rapist.

Yeah, that's a big NO to hiring him.  If it was some minor thing from years ago then maybe I'd hire a someone with a conviction, but this one is not one I'd be able to look past!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"