1st Trimester

5 weeks 6 days pregnant, no yolk no fetal pole...small gest sac

My wife got a stomach virus, we have just recently gotten pregnant (we've been trying a few months now). She made an appointment for her doctor but wouldnt see her until she was 8 weeks pregnant. The appointment is scheduled for July 15th. Having the virus and being first time potential parents, we were scared out of our minds and we went to the ER. They did an ultra sounds and blood work. They said the gest sac was there but too small to give an accurate date(5mm). There was no fetal pole and no yolk sac. Her HCG level was at 1385. They also saw a small cyst on her left ovary. They said that it could be 3 things, she miscarried (no blood, no cramps), she is going to miscarry( she feels fine except for the virus, no spotting, no bleeding, no cramps), or she is wrong about the date. She is positive on when her last period was. I am so nervous, we really want this baby. Is there any hope? We have to go get her HCG levels checked tomorrow to see if they are increasing and do u/s next week

Edit: By feeling fine, I meant like no severe pains regarding a miscarriage. She has plenty of pregnancy symptoms, nausea, hotness, tenderness in her nipples, fatigue. 

Re: 5 weeks 6 days pregnant, no yolk no fetal pole...small gest sac

• There's still a chance! She could be right about her last period but have ovulated later than she thought. Not all women ovulate right on day 14. There's a good chance that's what is happening.

I'm sorry the ER scared you.

image image
  • Yes. Get to your OB. ERs like pp said are notorious for knowing very little about babies.

FWIW, I don't know anything about HCG levels but I had a dating u/s at 5w5d and all they saw was a sac. The dr. called back and said he was fine with that and all was as it should be. As with anything, we will see as time goes on, but he assured me it was very very normal and he saw exactly what he thought he should see. I honestly think you got freaked out for no good reason yet. With U/S that early it's impossible to pretty much see anything definitive to make an accurate call. My OB won't even do them until 8plus weeks unless there's a special circumstance (which is me).

• Loading the player...
  • She received a positive 1st day after missed period. We did not take any prior and we took one the following morning and got  a positive. She had very light spotting when she wiped a day or 2 before her missed period, which I am thinking was the implantation bleeding? Also last month she was unusually late, She was 7 days late and got negative results the whole time. We took an ovulation test and kind of went around that. I know that everything takes time, and couldve taken a while before the implantation. I am just worried because the ER Ob said that at that level hcg we should see a yolk sac and fetal pole. Shes been taking prenatal vitamins for the last 2 months, trying to be very healthy and hoping this works out. I am the biggest hypochondriac so im sooo worried. I've read numerous stories of similar situations working out so i am hopeful, i just wish the dr didnt lay it out the way he did. We are getting ready to go for the hcg test today, it is at the hospital, not sure how long they take, but when i get the results, i will post them. If they are doubling i know thats a good sign, but can the hcg level continue to increase even if there is an issue? She is trying to schedule the us by the end of this week, would be 7 weeks by her calculation but hopefully we are off and might be less. Im praying this works out we really want this!
  • I'm by no means a doctor, but absolutely there could still be hope! I had my first u/s at 5w4d (thought I was further along based on LMP) and same result - gestational sac, yolk sac, but no fetal pole. Turns out I ovulated later than expected and was off by about a week. Went back 10 days later and saw the heartbeat beating away on the screen. Thankfully, I haven't had to go to the ER with my pregnancy for any reason. Came close a few times but the fear of the ER scaring the daylights out of me is what kept me away. ER docs are definitely not OB's and while they are good at what they do - all they likely do is diagnose with "miscarriage" or "threatened miscarriage" and suggest a follow up with an OB. Good luck getting in with the OB soon - although it may be best to wait a week or more to give things time to develop! Good luck and keep us updated!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • She took the test on the 15th and got the positive. I am nervous because they said there was no yolk sac, or fetal poll. Just the gestational sac measuring at 5.5cm. We get the results to the follow up blood test tomorrow and I will post the results. We have a follow up u/s scheduled this weds. I asked her earlier and according to the ovulation test, she def ovulated a few days after the 14 day normal. The spotting she had prior to the positive test was very light, and was only a day, not enough to get in panties only saw when she wiped.  Edit: 5mm not cm sorry
  • EsthiEsthi member
    I also think there is hope for sure ! She is still in very early stages of pregnancy. So in the next week or so things will become clearer. But I want to say something to you as her partner: pl try and be supportive . Try not to show her how scared you are . It's stressfull enough as it is. Starting with the first trimester ...., feeling awfull... Constant worry about miscarriage . Second trimester is def easier for most woman with reg. pregnancies but the third trimester, with getting a lot heavier and heading for birth are also quite "a job" !!! And than of course birth itself ... Look I have had 5 so far and I am having an other one now, so I kind of know what I am talking about . She needs a strong shoulder to lean on. It could make a big difference to her. And it can make the whole pregnancy into a good exciting experience !! Wishing you both all the luck in this world and a hopefully happy 9 month to come !!!!!
  • imageRondackHiker:
    There's still a chance! She could be right about her last period but have ovulated later than she thought. Not all women ovulate right on day 14. There's a good chance that's what is happening. I'm sorry the ER scared you.

This exactly!! I'm so sorry your ER is a suckfest!!  Contact your MD, they may want to do some blood work to see if her HCG is doubling or not.  I hope you get some answers!! 

BFP - March 31st 2013 - MC on April 6th 2013<br>
    BFP - May 11th 2013 - MC on May 15th 2013<br>
    BFP - June 22nd 2013 - MC on June 30th 2013<br>
    BFP - September 2013 - MC September 2013<br>
    BFP - October 31, 2013 - December 17th - found out baby stopped growing at 7wks - natural MC December 20th 2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok so a not so good update :( on 06/26 the original hcg test was 1385. The test on 06/29 was 1353 :( we know this isnt a good sign, any chances that the hormone level can rubberband upwards? Thanks again for all your advice and support.
  • imagemburdish:
    The appointment is scheduled for July 15th. Having the virus and being first time potential parents, we were scared out of our minds and we went to the ER...Is there any hope? We have to go get her HCG levels checked tomorrow to see if they are increasing and do u/s next week...

I really don't understand going to the ER for a stomach virus or something. The only concern is if you are vomiting/pooping to the point of dehydration, but not just because you are pregnant and sick. That seems like excessive worrying. The ER is not the place you want to try to assess the viability of a pregnancy. They are great for trauma, but not every ER has an OB on call. So, I wouldn't really go by anything they said in the ultrasound there at this point. It will only serve to worry you because no one can tell you "if there is hope". 

That said, we certainly pray there is hope for you, your wife and your baby with this pregnancy. Everyone hopes that it works out for you, but we can't tell you for sure. I wish we could. That would be really nice. 

Your best bet is to wait until you see your OB and then get an ultrasound later (there may not be much to see right now). Tell your wife to keep eating well (as best she can) and drink drink drink that water. Even if she doesn't feel like it. Sip on cool water (do not gulp), ice chips, gatorade. Hydration is a big concern. 

Good luck to you. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagemburdish:
    Ok so a not so good update :( on 06/26 the original hcg test was 1385. The test on 06/29 was 1353 :( we know this isnt a good sign, any chances that the hormone level can rubberband upwards? Thanks again for all your advice and support.

It dropped 30 points which isn't that bad, but still not a super good sign. The best thing to do is wait it out and hope that it was a fluke drop. I hope it is.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• We went to the er, because i had something similar over the weekend. We thought it was food poisoning, but since she got it like 4 days later, we wanted to make sure it wasnt something serious. She was dehydrated and then ended up giving her 2 ivs to help with that. 
  • You are still so so early! This is one reason the doc doesn't want to see you until about 8 weeks! I went in with my last baby at 5 weeks 3 days and didn't even really see the sac (just a little pin point!)! A few days later, I was 5 weeks 5 days and it was just a bit bigger... 6 weeks 3 days BAM there's a baby AND we saw the flickering heart that was pretty slow because it probably JUST started beating. I have a healthy 15 month old now. Try not to worry and try to wait it out until the 8 weeks! I know it's hard but it's really too early to know anything different. My midwife told me that u/s is really not anything to tell if a pregnancy is viable that early. Maybe have your wife call and ask if she can make an appointment to get her HCG levels drawn? They will test them, have her come back in two days and retest and if there's a doubling number in 48 hours or less, then you have better information than an early u/s. Good luck!

Edited to add: Just re-read your post and saw that she is getting her HCG drawn... ER docs are NOT good when it comes to pregnant patients. They aren't trained in that area like your doc is and often speculate and scare new pregnant women. I was told at 14 weeks by an ER doc that I had a placental abruption, baby did NOT have a heartbeat (which she so did, again that healthy 15 month old!) and that I had lost her! Went to my midwife the next morning and everything was fine, I was bleeding from something normal and baby was definitely fine and kicking!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I will have an update tomorrow after the Dr. visit, so very nervous, i know dropping is never a good sign. We called the Dr. yesterday to see if they wanted us to do another blood test prior to the visit tomorrow and they said no, just bring everything in and they will do the sonogram and go from there. She said not to worry too much yet because there are numerous reasons the level could have dropped. I'm really hoping we go in tomorrow and get some really good news and will update everyone regardless. She is still feeling pregnancy symptoms and no miscarriage symptoms as of this morning.Thanks for the answers/support/hope and info!
  • One quick question, could the fact she was dehydrated have any affect on the results. I am pretty sure they took the blood prior to the 2 iv's that helped rehydrate her. So thursday afternoon test one 1385 she was dehydrated.....blood work gets done, she gets 2 ivs and starts to rehydrate drinks a bunch of water and gatorade to help and takes test 2 on saturday morning and get the 1353 or what it was? I am trying to see if this could have affected it but lots of information pointing in both directions. Thanks in advance!
  • Update: We went to the ob/gyn and had a sonogram and bloodtests done. The last sonogram on thursday 06/27/13 showed just the ges sac, no yolk sac no fetal pole and measured about 5mm they said. Todays sonogram showed a sac measuring 7.7cm with a yolk sac and a baby! We heard the heartbeat!!!!! We're so happy!!! The dr. said she was a little concerned about the drop in hcg level but she said everything looked good for where we are at. Lmp is 6w5d and she says judging by the size we are about a week off, the heartbeat was 117!!!!! She did take a blood test and is going to check the HCG and progesterone to see if maybe thats why it dropped. The only other concern was she said her cervix low (not opened?) where normal cervix go up to 4 cms, my wife's cervix is 2.8cms. If it gets lower to around 2.0cms they will go in and do a quick stitch and all should be well, said it takes about 10mins. We are sooooo excited thanks to all for the advice and support!!
  • imagemburdish:
    The dr. said she was a little concerned about the drop in hcg level but she said everything looked good for where we are at. Lmp is 6w5d and she says judging by the size we are about a week off, the heartbeat was 117!!!!! She did take a blood test and is going to check the HCG and progesterone to see if maybe thats why it dropped. The only other concern was she said her cervix low (not opened?) where normal cervix go up to 4 cms, my wife's cervix is 2.8cms. If it gets lower to around 2.0cms they will go in and do a quick stitch and all should be well, said it takes about 10mins. We are sooooo excited thanks to all for the advice and support!!

So glad to hear this! Congratulations. I hope you have a healthy and happy rest of y'all's 40 weeks.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Here is a not so good update: So weds at 7pm we went and got the good ultrasound everything was fine thursday and up until early afternoon on friday my wife started spotting. She was told by ob/gyn at the appointment if any spotting give them a call, which she did and we went in on saturday for u/s and more blood work. The blood work from last thurs was over 3k i think which took longer than normal to double, but im wondering how much it dropped and then gained goin forward. A different Tech went and did the u/s and said that she saw a small sac nothing else. We have an appointment today for another U/S hopefully with the tech from Weds. The tech on weds found everything in under a min, the one on sat was in there for a while and couldnt find anything until the sac. She has been spotting every day every time she wipes. It is not enough that she needs a liner or a pad, and is mostly brown, there was some slight pink and very few red drops very sparsely not every time not every day.... could the u/s tech the second time read the u/s wrong or missed the baby? My wife said that she felt like the recent u/s was not as deep as the one that saw everything. Is it possible for a yolk sac, and fetal pole with a heartbeat to fully disappear within 3 days with no significant bleeding or clots? Last question, could it be possible that there was a twin and they were situated in a row, the closer one may be breaking up thus causing the fluctuations in hormone level and possibly blocking the view of the healthy one, then second u/s the tech looks further and misses the small sac and sees the healthy one and the most recent doesnt look far again and only sees the unhealthy one? I know i am grasping for straws here, but its kind of heartbreaking now, that we saw a heart beat was told everything looks good and got a picture, to seeing nothing. Hopefully this will be a good visit, and they stop 180ing from good to bad and stay good. Thanks again and will update tonight.
  • First, I'm sorry you are going through this emotional rollercoaster. How taxing this must be on your wife and you. Now to do my best with your questions...

imagemburdish:
    could the u/s tech the second time read the u/s wrong or missed the baby?

It is very doubtful that a trained tech would miss a baby. I would get a second opinion from a different location if I were you. 

imagemburdish:
    Is it possible for a yolk sac, and fetal pole with a heartbeat to fully disappear within 3 days with no significant bleeding or clots?

I know its possible for your body to absorb a vanishing twin, so theoretically, you could absorb a singleton too? This would be a good question for your OB, but at this point I would guess anything is possible. 

imagemburdish:
    Last question, could it be possible that there was a twin and they were situated in a row, the closer one may be breaking up thus causing the fluctuations in hormone level and possibly blocking the view of the healthy one, then second u/s the tech looks further and misses the small sac and sees the healthy one and the most recent doesnt look far again and only sees the unhealthy one?

I don't think this is possible. They would have seen two sacs and two babies fairly distinctly. However, at this point, with all the crazyness I would just wait and see. 

I'm sorry you are going through this. I really hope for better news with your update. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Sorry for the late update, was too tired last night. So we went in and got bad news that her HCG level dropped 400 points from 32XX to 28XX from thurs to sat. They took blood again yesterday. Her progesterone also dropped from like 9 to 6. They gave her a shot of rhogum and then did the ultrasound. If you remember from last updates, Weds we saw heart beat, she began spotting on friday and we went sat and the tech said there was nothing there (no baby), well yesterday they found the baby again it got bigger (still a week behind but I guess with the late ovulation and implantation that will be going forward) The heart beat also increased from 117 on weds to 128 yesterday. I have no idea what is going on, but they are putting her on a progesterone suppository. I am so happy our little jelly bean is still there and developing, but the hormone levels are driving me crazy! I told this sonogram tech i will probably be full gray before these 9 months are up. They moved the estimated due date from 02/21/14 to 02/28/14. Besides hoping and praying, anything else that can be done? She is on bed rest for the rest of the week. Thanks again for all the support and help.
  • imagemburdish:
    Sorry for the late update, was too tired last night. So we went in and got bad news that her HCG level dropped 400 points from 32XX to 28XX from thurs to sat. They took blood again yesterday. Her progesterone also dropped from like 9 to 6. They gave her a shot of rhogum and then did the ultrasound. If you remember from last updates, Weds we saw heart beat, she began spotting on friday and we went sat and the tech said there was nothing there (no baby), well yesterday they found the baby again it got bigger (still a week behind but I guess with the late ovulation and implantation that will be going forward) The heart beat also increased from 117 on weds to 128 yesterday. I have no idea what is going on, but they are putting her on a progesterone suppository. I am so happy our little jelly bean is still there and developing, but the hormone levels are driving me crazy! I told this sonogram tech i will probably be full gray before these 9 months are up. They moved the estimated due date from 02/21/14 to 02/28/14. Besides hoping and praying, anything else that can be done? She is on bed rest for the rest of the week. Thanks again for all the support and help.

I am glad things are going well. Good luck.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"