Food Allergy
Options

Eye swelling, redness

I am now so confused! DS is almost 18 months, a few weeks ago we were at my SIL's house and DS was hand feeding her dog snacks, he kept rubbing his eyes and it was about 15 min later that all the sudden his eye is scary swollen and red splotches all over his face, I rushed to get Benedryl and it helped (we have 2 dogs but are hypoallergenic) also, he has been around other dogs before just fine, just not so in his face. Then today, we had a normal morning, drove an hr away to drop off my niece (we met at a shopping mall) and as I went to grab him out of the stroller so he could walk around, he had this same reaction again! It was caught earlier then the last because it wasn't as bad yet, you could also see a few small whitish bumps (hives??) around the swollen red area. I am clueless! I am going to get the scratch test but so confused now as to what it could be!

Re: Eye swelling, redness

• Options
    That definitely sounds like an allergic reaction to me. That's how my daughter reacts to some things. She grew out of her dog allergy but when she was about that age she would have similar reactions after being around some dogs. Not that swollen tho. Scratch test should give you some answers. Was there a common factor between the 2 reactions for you?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagetnd81:
    That definitely sounds like an allergic reaction to me. That's how my daughter reacts to some things. She grew out of her dog allergy but when she was about that age she would have similar reactions after being around some dogs. Not that swollen tho. Scratch test should give you some answers. Was there a common factor between the 2 reactions for you?

No there wasn't (except for the house we had been in that has cats in the morning) but we were at that house for 20 min around 9am and the reaction hit at about 3pm, which is to far between in my mind, but I could be wrong. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ya, that seems too late to be a reaction to the cats. No common foods eaten at the time of the 2 reactions? Has it happened since? 

When my DD was having really bad eczema flare ups I was keeping a log of everything she ate and noted any reactions and skin reactions. It helps, you could try that until you get the test done? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is he allergic to peanuts? i heard a lot of dog food contains nuts.  Not sure if it's true but i know my neighbors give their dog peanut butter so my son is not allowed to be near him. 
  • Options
    Sounds like allergic reaction. Did you check with pediatrician? What did he say and what medicine did he give?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"