Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Recommend your LO's walking shoes

My little one is starting to get on the move. And while I know that being barefoot is best for him to get the hang of walking, I want to get him a good pair of starter shoes. I mean eventually he has to learn to walk with shoes on. 

Recommendations? 

Re: Recommend your LO's walking shoes

• khill86khill86 member
    We have Stride Rites Soft Motion shoes for DS. He walks full time and he still hardly wears shoes. Like maybe a couple times a week. But even then, I think it's important to be as close to barefoot as possible. No hard, heavy soles!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Robeez are the only shoes that will stay on LO's feet. We have hard and soft sole and love them.
  • Loading the player...
  • trojastrojas member

imageLatham12:
    Robeez are the only shoes that will stay on LO's feet. We have hard and soft sole and love them.

I've seen Robeez but wondered if they provide enough support? Do they even need support at this stage? 

• Soft sole helps them to feel like they aren't wearing shoes and it's better for their development I believe.
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    Pedipeds
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My daughter's 12-18 month Pedipeds stay on her feet.  She started wearing that size around her 1st birthday.  We have white Pedipeds and Brown Pedipeds with pink flowers.  My daughter got some size 4 Pedipeds for her birthday, but they do not stay on her feet.  My daughter can stand and lean against things.  She can crawl.  But she cannot walk on her own, so she is just not there yet for shoes with hard soles.  She likes to put the Pedipeds in her mouth. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I like stride rites too once baby is doing more walking than crawling.  But while still learning, bare feet or robeez.

• I love Pedipeds for early walking.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • We got the Target knock offs (MiniStars) and they were great.  They're still in great shape, but DD has graduated to harder soled shoes.  We also bought some Vans "crib shoes" and they were great too.  The MiniStars are a soft leather bottom, so they're not great if it's wet out, but she didn't walk in the rain/snow so it didn't matter.  The Vans are also soft soled but they're waterproof on the bottom.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • As soon as she started walking at 10 months, I bought her Stride Rite hard soled sneakers with sturdy support for her ankles.  She wore those everyday for a few months.  Now she has those sneakers and a pair of hard-soled sandals I got at Payless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just went to Stride Rite this weekend and got both my kids closed toe sandals.  For DD we got the level 2 early walkers - they're a soft, flexible, rubber sole.  I opted for sandals so I don't have to deal with socks for the next few months.  And I didn't mind spending a bit more money since they will be their everyday shoes.

image   image

• Stride Rite is great - they have 3 stages of shoes for each stage of LO's walking.  Stage 1 is crawling/cruising - all soft leather to allow LO's stabilizer muscles to develop in their feet/ankles. Stage 2 is walking - our 11 month old is in that now. She is walking well, but not quite running yet, so she still needs to develop her muscles a little more. Stage 2 is still leather shoes but with a soft rubber sole.  And Stage 3 is the "off and running" stage for toddlers to kids.

If your LO is just starting to walk, sounds like stage 1 is best - the soft leather shoes (similar to the Robeez) will give protection (which is really all he needs right now). No need for any real "support" - his little tendons and muscles need to develop first.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Years ago I used to sell Stride Rites now that I have my own LO who is almost walking he won't be in anything else.  one of the big diffrenses between SR and other brands especially Nike, reebock etc. is that SR is designed for baby feet where as other brands are basically mini versions of big people shoes.  Babies arches don't develop till about 18 mos or so... make sure if you get Nikes etc they don't have an arch inside.
  • See Kai Run are my absolute favorite.  Next Pediped.  I don't have any but I have heard Robeex mini shoez and soft solez are awesome.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"