Trouble TTC
Options

Opinions WWYD: clomid vs injectables IUI

So we did IUI#1 in June which was unsuccessful despite 'ideal conditions' (I had a nice 10mm lining, 3 big follies, DH had 'really good' numbers, reduced stress, etc.). I had taken 100mg clomid on days 3-7 with an HCG trigger on day 12. 

We finally got to meet with our 'permanent RE' (we've been juggled for years now) and she gave us the green light on basically whatever we want to do. She admitted that it was a little surprising IUI #1 didn't take, considering everything had lined up so well, but reminded us that I technically responded well to clomid so it wouldn't be a bad thing to try another clomid IUI. We agreed and left the office with the plan to do one more clomid IUI in July and if that doesn't work, do an injectables IUI with gonadtropins in September. Then, if that doesn't work (God forbid) we would be on the wait list for IVF for the winter.

So annnnyways... since then I've been thinking. Convenience wise, injectables win. My work correlates closely with the school system and summers are slower. If we did an injectable IUI in July, it would be much easier to take time off for the multiple ultrasounds. Plus, worst case scenario, if I over-responded to the meds and was forced to move to IVF, I could manage the time off. In September, it is still possible, but will be harder to manage. 

However, financially, clomid wins. Clomid IUI requires less monitoring (I have to travel several hours for ultrasounds) and is about $400. Injectable IUI will be more travelling (to the point where I will probably just have to take holidays) and will cost around $1500... but has better success rates. However, there's the possibility we could get pushed into IVF, which she estimates will be about $8000 more. We are financially 'ok' but this would still affect us.

My brain is just fried from all this IF stuff and DH is playing the "whatever makes you happy" card. Anyone have some advice or opinions?  

30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
DH 32yrs & healthy
*unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
  • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
  • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
  • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
  • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
  • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
  • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

Re: Opinions WWYD: clomid vs injectables IUI

• Options
    If you've only done one clomid IUI I would do another before making the jump to injects. IMHO

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    That really stinks that you have to travel so far to see your RE.  I would try another IUI with Clomid.  See my siggy to see what I have done.  Just because the first one didn't work doesn't mean the next one won't.  Best of luck.  
    ***SIGGY WARNING***

DX: Unexplained
    6 Failed IUIs (Clomid and Gonal F).  
    IVF #1 began August 2013- BC, 4 days of Estrace, stimmed with Gonal F and Menopur, Ganirelix, 9R 5M 5F, Medrol and Doxycycline, 5 day transfer of 2 early blastocysts- good quality, Progesterone, Estrace, and baby aspirin, BETA on 9/20 BFN,   IVF #2 began September 2013, stimming with Gonal F (higher dose) and Menopur, Ganirelix, 18R 14M 9F with ICSI, 5 day transfer of 2 BBs one was starting to hatch, 2 frosties: 1  BB and 1 AC, BETA on 10/21, BFN BETA was a 5- chemical 
    Getting some more testing and trying to figure out what the issue is before FET in December, started acupuncture on 11/10, RLP and some other BW nothing major to report except slightly high Prolactin. Prolactin was slightly high when I started with my RE and I already had an MRI which was Neg.  Endo biopsy=negative.  WTF is wrong with us???
    12/18/13 FET of 1 BB and 1 AC.  Hoping for a miracle.  Beta 12/26 Low BETA-8 2nd BETA 5- chemical
    After 3 failed transfers IDK where to go from here.  Still no real answers as to why this isn't working.  Getting a second opinion in February and looking into immune testing.  
    2/14- NEW RE- Immune testing showed a partial dq alpha match with DH- On prednisone and did intralipids prior to transfer.  3/14 Lupron, gonal f, menopur, HGH.  ER 15 mature all 15 fertilized!  5dt of an early blast grade 1 and an expanded blast grade 2.  BETA on 4/21.  1 grade 2 embryo frozen
    BETA #1 59 BETA #2 148 BETA #3 283 BETA #4 2,783! US at 6w2d shows 1 bean measuring right on track! HR 121.  US at 8w3d measuring on track HR 177. Released form my RE.  EDD 12/28

All Welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Seeing as how you responded so well to the clomid and had nice big follies, I would try another clomid cycle. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Me- 35 Dx endo; DH- 33 no probs.
    BFP#1 (totally a wonderful surprise)- 3/10/11. IUFD 6/25/11. 
    TTC since 8/2011.
    BFP#2- 11/1/11. EDD 7/6/12. Blighted ovum 12/1/11.

New OBGYN 12/2012- CD3 labs, SA, HSG normal. 
    First RE appt 1/16/2013. Unexplained infertility. Lap planned. 

12/2012- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN 
    1/2013- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN.

Lap 2/11/2013- Removed endo. 

3/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    4/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    5/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN

June 2013- Time for a new RE!

July 2013- We're in Shared Risk! Love my new RE!
    August 2013- IVF#1- 14 R, 11F, transferred 1 perfect blast, 5 day 5 frosties= BFN.
    Sept 2013- Let's get ready for FET October 7th ish!< transfer 2 embies 10/11/13.......BFP 10/18/13!!!!/div>

PAIF/SAIF and everyone is welcome. If I can make even one person's journey less painful, I will consider my experience here successful. Thank you to all for sharing their stories, the intimate details of their lives, their knowledge, and their hearts. I hope this experience changes me, always for the better.
  • Options
    imagekatib77:
    If you've only done one clomid IUI I would do another before making the jump to injects. IMHO
    . I agree with this.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options

imageToriables:
    Seeing as how you responded so well to the clomid and had nice big follies, I would try another clomid cycle. Good luck with whatever you choose!

This would be my vote!  We moved to Injects after one medicated IUI because I only ever got one follie from oral meds and we were also dealing with MFI.  

Married: 7/2/11 TTC: 12/2011
    Me: 31, PCOS DH: 37, low morph and low counts

4 medicated TI, 1 IUI+Femara, 1 IUI+GonalF = BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron/GonalF (Dec 2012)= 30R, 21M, 21F with ICSI, 18 HIP frosties!!!
    FET in August 2013 

http://i45.tinypic.com/21pym9.jpg

• Options
    I would vote for trying clomid again. I havent ever done injects but why move on if you are responding so well to the orals?
  • Options
    JzylaJzyla member

Wow - thanks for all the responses! I think you're all right - it doesn't make sense to jump to injectables if I am responding well to clomid. Question though: if I continue to respond well, is there really any point in moving to injectables at all? I mean, obviously, there is a slightly increased success rate... but I imagine that has to do with the fact that people respond more/better to injectables than clomid. But if I am responding just fine to clomid, injectables may not increase my success rate at all.... right? Or am I missing something? 

30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 32yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

• Options
    imageJzyla:

Wow - thanks for all the responses! I think you're all right - it doesn't make sense to jump to injectables if I am responding well to clomid. Question though: if I continue to respond well, is there really any point in moving to injectables at all? I mean, obviously, there is a slightly increased success rate... but I imagine that has to do with the fact that people respond more/better to injectables than clomid. But if I am responding just fine to clomid, injectables may not increase my success rate at all.... right? Or am I missing something? 

Both REs that I have seen did not recommend injects for us.  Because we are OOP and the success rates are not much higher for injects + IUI, they both recommended putting our money toward IVF.  Some like to do a round of injects + IUI before moving on to IVF, because it can be helpful to know how you will respond to injects.  In the end, I think it is a decision that you, your husband, and your RE will have to make.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    imageJzyla:

I am wondering the same thing for myself! I think the injects increase the chances of success a little bit, but how many times is it worth it to try something before declaring it a bust? My RE seems to have the opinion that three tries maximum before trying something else.  

**SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"