July 2012 Moms

How many words?

So LO had her 12 month appointment last week and our pediatrician said that LO should be saying 5 words other than momma and dadda. So far we have "hi" and "bye" (with a wave) but really nothing else. We're working on "dog" but so far we're just getting a "dah" sound.  I'm not worried but I'm curious what other babies are saying. 

Sorry if this is a beaten subject. I've been MIA for a while. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be."

Re: How many words?

• I have not been concerned at all about words until I start reading the posts on here where pediatricians are expecting a certain number of words at age 1!

K says Dada and has been for months, but suddenly EVERYTHING is dada or just da. He says hi and waves, and he used to say nonono whenever I told him no, but he hasn't done that in weeks.

Lately its just been Dada and Hi and sometimes mamamama when he wants more food.

Sometimes I will point things out and try to get him to say the word, but he usually just turns it into some form of da or dada. And he always seems to repeat the things that sound similar to dada or da anyway. Like duck or dog or even Zaley (our dogs name) comes out more like Dah-ee. Now I'm all worried!

• So they're supposed to be saying words and associating them with things? 

Well F.

We get "Mama",  "Dada"  and "what", although, when she says "What" I don't believe she is asking me a question.

Poor little Eleanor... Probably won't ever be head of the class :( Womp, womp. 

• Loading the player...
  • 5 is ridiculous.  according to the EI standards in our state, its 2.

I wrote a post about a week ago pondering if I should make an EI referral for Ayden.  He isn't saying any words.  Just making vowel sounds.  Everyone told me to relax, but I am still thinking about it every day.

Sydney says mama but i don't think its TO me.  I got her to say "UP" a few times this weekend when she wanted me to pick her up.  So i guess i would count that as 1?

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• Yeah, E's gonna fail her 1-yr.

No words yet.   Unless we count "da", which she says to everything.  Perhaps she's just a really agreeable russian baby?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She finally started to say mama when she sees me and I think it is a big progress.

She also saying tata to my DH, aw-aw when she sees the dog - I guess she is imitating barking and that is about it :( So grand total of three?

• Dude, I get dadda, momma, and an exaggerated OUCH. That's it. But she will pick things up if you ask for them or respond to things. I'm not worried.

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • DS says mama and dada but not always associated with us. He occasionally says ball and Kee for kitty but nothing seems to be consistent. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 0 words here. She says dada but not with comprehension.

• I'm pretty sure we got nothin', but we're all convinced we heard some things. I thought she said mama to me when I picked her up once, MH is convinced she said papa to him when he picked her up. When she pulled herself up when she was learning that I swear she said "I did it", and at the pedi last week she thought she said "I got it." I'm pretty sure all we have so far is wishful thinking.

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

• Tristan says mama, dada, ita (we call my mother gramita), aqua for water, ball, emo for (Elmo) and wazdat "what's that". 
  • First off, I usually call BS when given something specific like "5 words other than Mama or Dada". I'm pretty sure your kid will learn to talk.

We get a lot of gibberish, like others have mentioned, and pronunciation is not perfect for all of them, but the in-context, repeated-on-her-own words she has so far are: dada, doggy, ball, up, that, hat, hi, and woof-woof (she like to talk to our dog). She has said mama and down a few times, but not enough for me to count them yet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, it sounds like Olivia is in the normal range. I had a feeling that was the case. DH and I had a good laugh at the pedi when he was trying to get Olivia to repeat words and all she would do is say "bye" and wave. It was pretty funny.

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Uh, zero? She says something that sounds like momma and sometimes da for the dogs (we think). Other than that my child is wordless. I'm not worried at all.
    imageimage

• elizdgelizdg member
    He will say mama, but Im not completely convinced that he always associates it with me. We also get uh oh sometimes. Other than that, it's just constant babbling.
  • versedversed member
    We have quite a few: mom, dad, dog, cat, ball, this, that, up, hi, nana, Max, milk.

However, the speech pathologist in me wants to point out that if baby says the same sound combination for an object, it counts as a word even if the sounds aren't correct. I.e. DS says 'di' for ball, but he says it every time he sees a ball, so it counts
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageame3576:
    Does the pedi mean 5 works that are clearly associated with an object/person? We hear Mamma and Dadda all the time but not always directed at the right person.  She has lots of other babble words but I don't know if they are correctly directly towards anything. Sometimes I hear "kit or "keeeey" towards out cat and dog but thats about it. Guess we should start working on it a bit more....her 12 month appt isn't too far away! 

This exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"