Eco-Friendly Family

Homemade laundry soap question

Would using dr. bronner's lavender soap be okay to use for laundry detergent for baby? I've been using the baby mild, but they don't carry it at our local store and I'm running very low on detergent! Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Homemade laundry soap question

• ::Lurker Here::

Here's what the website says:

For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I've been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.

I don't have a baby (yet) and I haven't used it for laundry detergent but I do use the lavender soap for lots of other cleaning.  I think it would be gentle enough to use though.

For pennies a load I make my own powdered detergent that uses 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing soda, 1 cup Borax and 2 cups grated Ivory bar soap.  You can use other bar soaps but it is important they are overly oily (or moisturizing, like Dove).  I make huge batches ith this ratio and it lasts forever because you only need 2 tablespoons per load.

The other ladies on the board might have some better ideas but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.  Good luck!

• Maybe a silly question, but how do you grate the ivory soap? Do you use a cheese grater or is there a faster, less laborintensive way to do it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I use the fine side of a cheese grater, which is kind of labour intensive.  I've only had to make 2 batches in the last year though so it's not too bad.  I usually make a big batch at a time and I fill a (cleaned out) pail that used to hold cat litter and it takes about an hour to do. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"