Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Adding fresh bm to refrigerated bm (xp to bf and bm board)

When I pump after feedings, I'm getting about 2 oz total. I could store 2 pumps in one container in the fridge, I'm wondering what the rules are about this. Can I add freshly expressed milk to the refrigerated container as long as it's the same day. Do I need to chill it prior to mixing it? Yesterday I just added the fresh stuff to the refrigerated stuff and I'm wondering if that milk is now no good? Thanks for your advice :)
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Adding fresh bm to refrigerated bm (xp to bf and bm board)

• You can add it, but you should add cold BM to cold BM and room temp BM to room temp BM. However, I highly doubt that your milk is no good from combining it with refrigerated BM. I've done it a couple times without issue.
  • I'm probably the worst person to respond.  I've probably broken all the "rules" regarging this issue but my kids are turning out just fine so far.  I'm pretty sure you won't poison your LO if you combine warm and cold milk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want to add freshly expressed breast milk to milk in the fridge, you should chill it first. Once both bottles are cold. You can combine. As for the milk that you already mixed, it's probably okay, but I would smell/taste it before feeding it to LO just in case! Also, the milk doesn't have to be from the same day to mix, but the milk is only good as long as the OLDEST milk in the bottle. Milk is generally good in the fridge for 5 days. So if you pump Saturday and get 2 oz, then pump again on Tuesday and mix the milk, you need to use all that milk by Wednesday (your 5 days start with the oldest milk.)

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imagepinottoparenthood:
    If you want to add freshly expressed breast milk to milk in the fridge, you should chill it first. Once both bottles are cold. You can combine. As for the milk that you already mixed, it's probably okay, but I would smell/taste it before feeding it to LO just in case! Also, the milk doesn't have to be from the same day to mix, but the milk is only good as long as the OLDEST milk in the bottle. Milk is generally good in the fridge for 5 days. So if you pump Saturday and get 2 oz, then pump again on Tuesday and mix the milk, you need to use all that milk by Wednesday your 5 days start with the oldest milk.

This.
  • Thanks everyone!!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"