Baby Names

Would you change your baby's name...?

DH and I had a very hard time agreeing on names. We were team green and it took us almost my whole pregnancy to find names we both liked. Our boy name wasn't as hard because we were going to use family names. We had two girl names we liked but were unsure on. Well of course it was a girl! lol For a few days she was just Baby [Last Name] because we didn't think she looked like either of the names we had originally thought of. Eventually we settled on Bella. DH really wanted Isabella but I just don't like that name. I don't like the Izz sound and I didn't want her to be called Izzy. So he said ok, what about just Bella.

And so she was named. She is almost 10 1/2 months now, we have her birth certificate, her social insurance number and she has been baptized.

DH ALWAYS brings up the fact that we are limiting our daughter because she doesn't have a long form name. He thought I was see to reason and change her name to Isabella so she has choices. He says we would always call her Bella, and introduce her as Bella. It would be there when she gets older, and he can't believe I'm being so stubborn. But I just don't like the name, and therefore don't want to name my daughter that. He brings it up a lot and I feel like we are just going to have the same fight over and over again.

Even though I would never name my daughter a name I don't like (as I wouldn't expect him to either), what do you think? Would you change you'd child's name at this point?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you change your baby's name...?

• Well if you were going to change it I would certainly do it now...before she gets any older or you tell too many people that her name is just Bella.

As for the name I think it stands on its own fine.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imageDaisyBlinks:
    No, I wouldn't change it. It Tell DH that if she feels the same way when she's older, she's free to change it herself.

I pointed this exact thing out to him!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageTripMomma:

Well if you were going to change it I would certainly do it now...before she gets any older or you tell too many people that her name is just Bella.

As for the name I think it stands on its own fine.

Thanks, good to know I'm not that crazy! =)

• If you don't like Isabella, I wouldn't change it.

But I do see YH's point about having a formal name. Are there any other -bella names you like better? Arabella? Anabel/bella? Or maybe even Elizabeth since it is related to Isabella? There are probably other versions I am not thinking of.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IDK, it seems to be really important to your DH, and it's his daughter, too.  Isabella is a lovely name, and you could keep calling her Bella.  I agree with PP - if you're going to do it, now's that time.
    Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • swgdvmswgdvm member
    First off, i wouldnt change it unless both were happy with it. Once you pick a name you are happy with and keep calling her bella, i see no reason not to change it.
    There are other names you can pick with the nickname bella! Gabriela is a stretch but i like it!
  • The reason I am asking is because I'm trying to avoid the fight with him. Again, Isabella is just not an option to me. So I was looking at other names that could work. I do like Arabella. I haven't ran it past him yet. But I wanted to see what other people would do in this situation. I still really pees me off that he suggested just Bella and now is getting mad because we went with just Bella. MEN!

• imageRomeo & Juliet:
    The reason I am asking is because I'm trying to avoid the fight with him. Again, Isabella is just not an option to me. So I was looking at other names that could work. I do like Arabella. I haven't ran it past him yet. But I wanted to see what other people would do in this situation. I still really pees me off that he suggested just Bella and now is getting mad because we went with just Bella. MEN!

If he really wants a longer formal name, then he should be open to something other than Isabella. I think Arabella would be a lovely compromise. I hope he agrees or decides just Bella is OK. (But yeah, it is stupid that he is getting mad about it now.)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No, I wouldn't change it. I'd let her choose her own longer/formal name when she's older. There's no reason why she can't go by Isabella or Arabella, etc. instead of Bella if she chooses.
  • imageDaisyBlinks:
    No, I wouldn't change it. It Tell DH that if she feels the same way when she's older, she's free to change it herself.

This.

My husband had a similar situation with his name, and he pestered his parents about it until he got it formally changed when he was in 4th grade.   

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Bella is a beautiful name. I think you should name your child what you want her to be called. Me and my DH didn't like the names Alexis or Alexandra but we loved the name Lexi. You didn't want her to be called Izzy and I didn't want my daughter to be called Alex. So we went with Lexi and I love it. I would not change your daughters name at all. There is nothing wrong with short names. People always say what if she's a judge or doctor? Well they use last names anyways.

• I wouldn't change it.  DH wanted to change our son's middle name when our son was 3 years old.  I wouldn't let him.
  • I don't think I would change it at this point.

That said, if you want to do it.. do it NOW.

I think Arabella would be a nice choice also. 

• imagemikaelaandmichael:
    Bella is a beautiful name. I think you should name your child what you want her to be called. Me and my DH didn't like the names Alexis or Alexandra but we loved the name Lexi. You didn't want her to be called Izzy and I didn't want my daughter to be called Alex. So we went with Lexi and I love it. I would not change your daughters name at all. There is nothing wrong with short names. People always say what if she's a judge or doctor? Well they use last names anyways.

Um...no they don't.  I know the first names of all the Supreme Court Justices and all of my doctors.

What a weird thing to say.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think I would change my daughters name at that point, or any point.  Like others have said, If SHE wants to change it someday she can.  I think Bella stands find on its own, I think it's pretty.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Thanks everyone for your opinions. It makes me feel better that a lot of you feel the same way I do (Bella is a beautiful stand alone name, she could always change it when she gets older if she wants a longer formal name). He was starting to make me feel like I was either crazy or a bad mum for giving her a short name. lol

• imageDaisyBlinks:

This. I would never change my kid's name after the fact though

BabyFetus Ticker
  • She's already 10 months old, I wouldn't change it. Bella stands just fine on its own.

• Soap1Soap1 member
    TBH, I think your DH is being ridiculous.  Bella is a fine name, and there's no need for a "formal" name.  My DH goes by his middle name and it drives him crazy.  If you're gonna call someone a name, then just name them that name!

• DH needs to get over it. You both compromised on Bella, but it feels like now he just wants to win with Isabella.

I say keep standing firm. I'm not a fan of the frilly Isabella, Arabella, and Annabella names. Although, I do like just Annabel and Isabel.

Bella stands alone well and is a lovely name. I also feel Bella would make a fine doctor or lawyer, so no worry there.

FYI: Love her full name Bella Jean!

• I think Bella Jean is adorable and a great fn/mn combo.  I think it flows a lot better as is, than Isabella or Arabella Jean. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't thank you all enough for your opinions on this! And for all your kind words about my daughter's name (first and middle). I brought up Arabella to my DH just to see what he'd say and he said no so now I'm going to stand my ground and keep it Bella. I still think it's the best name for her.

I also said I asked the girls on the bump and they said don't name your daughter something you don't like and his response was "No Sh*t". It took him a minute to catch on to what you guys were saying but I think we made the point lol

• shannmshannm member

No, I would not change it.  

As someone who screens resumes, I would not bat an eye at the name Bella.  I don't think you are limiting her in any way. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"