Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Hit head

So I feel like the worst mom in the universe. We have an attached garage and steps leading from the garage to the house. I was letting our dog in who was tied up outside. My 18 month old son was standing on the top platform. When I unhooked the dog he ran in and knocked DS over off the edge if the platform onto the cement floor. He landed on his head from about 2 to 2.5 feet high.

He cried real hard of course. I took him inside and calmed him down and gave him ibuprofen. He has a smaller bump and a small cut on the back side of his head. It hardly bled at all. He seemed to be acting normal. He can walk fine his pupils are normal and I asked him questions like where his nose was and if he could give me a kiss and he did those normally.

He fell asleep for bedtime at his normal time about an hour after the incident. I tried waking him about a half hour after he fell asleep. What is considered ok? Does he have to wake up all the way or just respond to me? I couldn't get him to wake up all the way but I could tell he was responding to my arousing him. Do you think he's ok? I feel so horrible and so worried. DH is at work so I'm alone.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hit head

• Acting normal, no dilated pupils, no vomiting, and responding when you try to wake home are all good signs. He should be fine. Remember, babies are resilient...they're basically designed to take falls lots of them. They're often tougher than we are! And don't feel guilty, accidents happen to all of us! Where do I start with DS...

Anniversary

• I second what the PP said. He isn't vomiting and he didn't pass out immediately. He was responsive, all of that are good signs. 

One of the worst falls DD took was in the bathroom. He had a big goose egg on his head and I was totally freaked. Anyway he is fine and it sounds like your LO is fine too.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Loading the player...
  • fryratfryrat member

Sounds fine. One of my friends with older kids told me, "kids bounce till they're 4" and after seeing what my LO has done without a scratch, I believe it.

The key to looking for a concussion is if you try to wake them and they do not respond. If LO rolls over, fusses, eyes open for a minute, etc,  you are fine.

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i totally understand how you are feeling!  I wrote a post a little ways down about dd hitting her head.  so to answer your question about waking him up...I've been told that they should stir and be their usual grumpy tired selves when you try to wake them.  it's when the child is unresponsive to your attempts when you should worry.  as pp stated, he's probably fine since the tell-tale signs of a concussion aren't present.  if you're still worried, call your pedi and see what he says...better safe than sorry, right?

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"