Breastfeeding

Need help, work & bf

I'm a food literacy educator with a local nonprofit and most of the time dd can come along with me. Unfortunately,  I won't be able to bring her along when I teach a middle school camp starting July 15. I will be gone from her for approximately 5 hours every morning for the week. I won't be able to pump(don't have one, can't get one) I am fretting over possible supply issues. What can I do to prepare? She is still nursing every 2 hours. If I am not with her H gives formula. 
If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams

Re: Need help, work & bf

• imagetheresat858:

You can get one. A manual pump costs less than 2 cans of formula.

Most insurances now have to cover a pump, either purchase or rental.

Find a time to break to pump; even 10 minutes is better than nothing. 

The way you say 'I don't have one and can't get one' makes it sound like you've already given up, though.  Maybe encourage LO to 'reverse cycle' and feed her more at night?

I agree with others.  The real answer you need is: you need to find time to pump.  You are your baby's source of nutrition! You have the most important job in the world- to feed your baby! Other people just have to deal with that fact.  Get away for just 10 or 15 minutes and buy or borrow a small manual hand pump.  Do you have any friends who breastfeed and pump that you trust enough to borrow their pump?  5 hours away is just a bit too long to not pump.  Good luck!

• imagetheresat858:

You can get one. A manual pump costs less than 2 cans of formula.

Most insurances now have to cover a pump, either purchase or rental.

Find a time to break to pump; even 10 minutes is better than nothing. 

The way you say 'I don't have one and can't get one' makes it sound like you've already given up, though.  Maybe encourage LO to 'reverse cycle' and feed her more at night?

The don't have one, cant get one is because I have been denied by my insurance. The formula we've been using has all been from freebies we have been given. Similac has sent me the equivalent to a case of full size cans. I have contacted the LC at the hospital I delivered at (our older boys play baseball together) and she said she might be able to get me a hand pump. 

Since I am the camp's lead teacher, I'm not sure how much time I can get away. How long does it take to pump with a manual?

If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetheresat858:

What did your insurance say to deny you?  I needed a script from my OB, but most OBs will write one without a problem.  

I got a script from my mw. She even looked up which should be covered and was specific.  I took the script to 3 different medical goods suppliers and when they called for ins approval,  were told no bc lo wasn't in nicu. I could rent a medical grade pump for 6months (out of my pocket, which was more expensive than buying one from BRU) and THEN they'd cover a pump.We just were unlucky that the new healthcare law didn't apply to them yet.

My LC friend called me and said she was bringing me a medela harmony. Here's hoping this works!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"