Stay at Home Moms
Options

3 year old not following direction and suddenly not as playful?

We went to one of our playgroup friends birthdays today. We all had a great time. It was at a kids gym and I noticed DS really just did hisa own thing and did not partake in the activitys with the rest of the kids. I mean a few of them he did but for the most part he just ran around and jumped on all the mats and wedges. The few times he did join in he just did not follow directions (kept wanting to go under the parachute for example). Once the kids sat down for cake he joined in more and was talking up a storm with the other kids. Maybe it was just all the activity in the gym.

I just noticed maybe he still struggles with following directions and joining in with the group. At home we do activitys and he has trouble following directions then as well.  He used to be more social at playgroup.  I stated sending him to MIL's house (she runs in an home daycare) once a week to play and see her and now he is biting at her house (DS and I talked about it)and he just seems less social and there is just something different.

I guess I'm wondering id this is this a normal stage or if maybe it's a new personality trait or something I need to work on? I mean we have always done playgroup with these kids, we play together all the time! Really the only reason I ask is he stars zoo school in September and we plan to do YMCA soccer. He is potty trained, speaks super well and I always felt he was ready. But lately he just can't seem to follow directions for activitys and he just is not getting excited about being around other kids anymore. Zoo school will help that I'm sure right? I mean it should not make me worry about sending him?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: 3 year old not following direction and suddenly not as playful?

• Options
    imageHav=Fath:

I bet it's just a stage but no real advice. I'm just jealous at the idea of a zoo school! 

I think it was Letranger's LO that goes to circus class? Those sound so neat! 

A circus class? HOW COOL!!!!

It's just so odd because he was always so outgoing and now he seems to be going into a shell. Like he is having fun and laughing but not as interested in his peers as he once was.  HAHA, I figure the not following directions is normal 3 year old stuff but I am hoping for some tips to just help him with that to get ready for the preschool environment of zoo school  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options

imagenonasimonsen:
    Biting and going into a shell isn't normal unless there a trigger. Baby sister could be the trigger and he isn't handling it as good as you think? Still both would worry me and I would do everything in my power to nip the biting in the bud ASAP.

I've never witnessed him doing biting. He has never bit one of our friends kids or done it in front of me. I mean a few times when he was way younger he may have bit me or DH but we just sat him down and ignored him and he stopped. MIL just mentioned that he bit his cousin at her house. She did not sound worried and just mentioned it casually. She said DS's cousin got mad because he did not want to share his cars and pushed DS. DS got mad he pushed him and bit him. I sat DS down and asked why he bit. He told me cousinpushed him and I told him that we never bite and there is no excuse for it.  MIL said he did not bite this Friday so I'm assuming it's not an issue anymore. But regardless I'm worried he did it in the first place. It was just so random. I mean maybe it was just a one time thing but still....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenonasimonsen:
    Biting and going into a shell isn't normal unless there a trigger. Baby sister could be the trigger and he isn't handling it as good as you think? Still both would worry me and I would do everything in my power to nip the biting in the bud ASAP.

I guess all in all I just have this gut feeling something is up. I mean it is probably small, like you said new sister and everything. He is crazy about her and ats her with us all the time but regardless it's a big change! 

• Options
    imageExpectantSteelerFan:

I just wanted to share that my ds didn't seemed phased by dd being born for a while, but he did go through a few phases that I attributed to her being born.  He was never a clinger, and all of a sudden one day at a bday party (one of the first things I took them both to by myself), he grabbed onto my leg and wouldn't let go and was on my lap the whole time.  He kept that up at a few more playdates after that as well.

And then when dd started hitting milestones (crawling, talking, walking, etc), he really started acting out for attention because of all the attention we were giving her.  He also did some regressive behavior to mimic her (whining, baby talk, etc.).

I really have no advice, but just thought I'd share since I remember thinking 'wow we got off easy with him transitioning to having a sister' and then was really surprised when he had reactions later.

thank you so much for sharing this! DD is teething right now and been super clingy. This month has seemed to be a bit more rough so maybe it really is a delayed reaction to his sister! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"