Special Needs
Options

feel like I'm failing

I guess in the back of my mind I always thought DD would over come a lot of this and her childhood would not be so difficult on her. But we have been working so hard with eye contact and signing and while eye contact has improved, still her only meaningful communication has been pointing and shaking her head no. I know she is only 2, but the gap in her delays seems to not be getting any better. It's just all so overwhelming. Our therapists give us so much to work on and there aren't enough hours in the day. I am so scared she will never be able to speak, and never be able to make friends with peers. Some days I feel like despite my best efforts I am failing her. We are so busy with working full time, a new baby and appointments, it seems we never have time to just enjoy each other as a family. Sorry for the rambling, I guess I just needed to vent to people who understand.

Re: feel like I'm failing

• Options
    Hugs to you. You are not failing her! It's just the opposite. I'm sorry you feel so discouraged. Try not to think so far ahead right now. You really don't know what will happen and it could be better than what you're imagining.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry things are so hard right now.  Be kind to yourself--you have a lot going on, and your DD is still so young.  I'm sure we all feel like we could/should be doing more for our LOs.  Vent away--we're all here to listen :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Big hugs! Be kind to yourself. You are doing the best you can. I think every parent whether your child has special needs or not struggles with this. I do.

My DD is 2 also, and I worry that she will never talk, walk, or hold her head up. What always gives me hope is another kid who has PT when DD does. I have gotten to know his family well. He was born with severe brain damage, and in the last year, at age 11, he has stood for the first time, is sitting up on his own, and even starting to take steps in the pacer. After years of therapy with seemingly little progress, he has had a breakthrough year. His family never gave up hope for improvement, even as year after year ticked away. I think about this family and don't fear tomorrow as much.

• Options

The fact that she points is actually a good sign. The psychologist we've been working with has explained that he would much rather have a kid who never talks but can point because that shows she WANTS to communicate with you and express her needs/ "share her world." 

• Options
    finsupfinsup member
    Hugs, I've been there.  When all of your available mindshare is taken up and nothing left to just be.  Hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"