Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

baby wont stop pooping

DS has pooped like 7 or 8 times today. All mushy and soft. Diarrhea like pooping...he is hydrated but has a serious diaper rash...I can't clear up the ras since he wont stop pooping!

I am putting the aquafor/maylox diaper cream and going to do a baking soda bath like the nurse had us do the last time he had a bad diaper rash.

what can I do to help him stop pooping so I can get his rash to clear up! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: baby wont stop pooping

• No advice because we have had this problem recently too. I was actually just about to post about it! He went from pooping once, maybe twice a day--varying consistencies--to pooping very frequently, often very soft and sometimes even liquidy. He has had a rash too.

I am wondering if it is some sort of allergy or maybe lactose intolerance, but he didn't have any sudden changes in diet. :-/ He has a doctor's app this week so we'll bring it up then.  

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Try the BRAT diet for a day or two: Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, and Toast.  It should all help with the diarrhea enough that you can try and address the rash. In the meantime, an moisture barrier ointment will help protect his poor little bum.  Good luck!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • imageLilygrace48:
    Try the BRAT diet for a day or two: Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, and Toast.  It should all help with the diarrhea enough that you can try and address the rash. In the meantime, an moisture barrier ointment will help protect his poor little bum.  Good luck!

All of this.  Also, do naked baby time, but modified.  Use an old-style diaper - the kind that many of us use as burp clothes now.  Just pin it on him.  If you don't have a prefold, you can use a small, soft cotton towel. That'll give you a safety "net" if something happens, but will still allow airflow into his diaper area to help dry out the rash.  I like to do this after the baking soda bath.  You can also do multiple baths per day, if needed.  

When you go to diaper him, make sure he is well greased.  If he's rashy, he's past the point of just a barrier cream.  You should use something stronger, such as the purple Desitin or Triple Paste.  FWIW, Triple Paste smells so much better than Desitin.  They seem to work about the same here.  Layer the cream on thick.  The diaper will pull some of it off.  Make sure his butt is completely dry (a handheld fan works great for this) before applying it.  You can also add in cornstarch powder for extra drying before applying the butt cream.  Once the rash has cleared, always, always, always use a barrier cream, such as Aquaphor, at every diaper change.  I've found that my son is so much more prone to rashing now that he's had a bad one and that consistent use of barrier creams keep that at bay, even with days of diarrhea.  

However, if his rash starts to bleed, you'll need to move to medicated creams.  Your doctor can call one into the pharmacy that will help to heal it up quickly.  Once the skin is broken and bleeding it can go South quickly, so it's best to call as soon as you spot it. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • We also recently had this problem! Except my son was pooping 2-4 times an hour, all day long. He acted normal, he just couldn't stop pooping. It went on for several days, and the diaper rash got so bad he screamed with every change. We ended up getting medicated diaper rash cream, and it helped SO quickly. We put it on him one night before bed, and the next morning it was already 10x better, and he wasn't crying anymore.

As for his diet, we're still trying to figure it out. We have been doing like the other mentioned-- toast & bananas a lot. Trying not too give him the real high-fiber foods like pears & peas. His poops seem to be getting a lot better, and only have about 4-5 a day now, but it was a slow progression (about 4-6 days).  

BFP #1 4/23/11, EDD 1/4/12::No heartbeat @ 9 wks::D&C 6/1/11 
    Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks Ladies!

We think it is the transition to milk that is causing the pooping marathon! The rash is pretty bad, but not bleeding or broken yet and he has had a worse one when he was really little, so we could layo him on some towels and let his but air our, but now that he is walking and crawling that is impossible. I may give him some naked time in the bath tonight at least that way he will be contained if he pees or poops. 

My sitter/neighbor also said to use a very small amount of Lotramin lotion which the nurse said I could use the last time I called her about the bad diaper rash, if it didn't clear up in several days, but DS has never had pain before with his diaper rash, so I just want to clear it up as quickly as I can and then keep it from coming back at least while he adjusts to the milk completely.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"