Success after IF
Options

RPL, Genetic Testing and improving egg quality

Out of 4 pregnancies we have now experienced 3 losses. Our first was a c/p, second resulted in DD, third was a loss due to trisomy 22, and this last was a blighted ovum (testing not back yet). THe first two pregnancies were results of injectable IUI and the last two pregnancies have been spontanous conceptions (yay!), but since they resulted in losses our RE wants to move forward with RPL testing and genetic karyotyping  on both DH and me. I have been on lovenox for the last three pregnancies. 

Any advice on specific testing to ask for? Also my RE has mentioned DHEA to improve egg quality, does anyone have information on this or other supplemental/dietary changes to improve egg quality?

Married in 2/2006, TTC since 3/09 with Endo stage 4(DX 1999) and PCO (DX 2010), DEC, LAP and 2 rounds of Depo Lupron

• 2/10: IUI #1: Clomid 100mg= BFN
  • 3/10- 5/10: IUI #2 Clomid 150mg; IUI #2.2: gonalf, lupron; IUI #2.3: 2 rounds of 5mg Femara=All cancelled for nonresponse
  • 6/10 -IUI#2.4: gonalf, ganirelix, estrace, ovidrel, endometrium- early M/C
  • 8/10- IUI #3: gonalf, ganirelix, ovidrel, estrace, endometrium, lovenox, hcg boosters= BFP;  Beta#1=179, Beta#2= 360, Beta#3=1775; 1 perfect little HB!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP 2/13!B- M/C 7w 4D, D+C 3/13

Surprise BFP 6/13! - Blighted Ovum found at 7w, D+C 6/28

Surprise BFP 8/13!- Hopefully third time is the charm!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: RPL, Genetic Testing and improving egg quality

• Options

I don't know about RPL, but I have often thought that for some the cause of their DOR could be related to auto-immune issues...and auto-immune issues can lead to repeat losses. 

As for DHEA, you need to have your DHEA-S levels tested first before supplementing.  If your DHEA is already normal or high and you supplement, it can screw things up even worse...I believe DHEA is androgenic (sp?).  Some women with DOR do have low DHEA levels, but not all of them. Mine was tested and it was actually on the high end of normal--thank goodness I did not supplement.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    imageIBackBevo:

As for DHEA, you need to have your DHEA-S levels tested first before supplementing.  If your DHEA is already normal or high and you supplement, it can screw things up even worse...I believe DHEA is androgenic (sp?).  Some women with DOR do have low DHEA levels, but not all of them. Mine was tested and it was actually on the high end of normal--thank goodness I did not supplement.

This this this!  I was going to start DHEA on my own because I had read that it could help with egg quality and my acupuncturist told me not to even touch the stuff until I had my levels tested.  I'm so glad she told me!  

Instead, she put me on a bunch of Chinese herbs along with wheat grass, fish oil, CoQ10, Vitamin C & D (I may be forgetting something???).  

Good luck to you.  

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I hope the RPL gives you some answers.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options

imageLeahB12:
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I've had 5, and they are all hard. I had RPL testing done twice. It's included tests for thyroid problems, blood clotting disorders, autoimmune problems, karyotyping, and cd 3 hormone check. It turns out I have 3 blood clotting disorders plus most likely an autoimmune problem. Lovenox and prednisone got me through the last pregnancy. I think all those tests are pretty standard for RPL testing. I hope you find some answers!

I had similar testing done after I developed a blood clot in my leg after the birth of my second child.  The testing for that is almost the same as for RPL, minus karyotyping.  Later, after my second  miscarriage I had additional testing done for more immune issues, including natural killer cells.  I was found to have one copy of the MTHFR gene mutation along with elevated natural killer cells.  With my next pregnancy I was treated with Dexamethasone, Lovenox, baby aspirin, high doses of progesterone, high doses of folic acid  and also IV intralipids.

I hope you find some answers and I am so sorry for your losses.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"