September 2012 Moms

Question for the BF babies

How often is your baby drinking milk? Ds1 would literally nurse every 2 to 3 hours up until he was a year old and we weaned. Ds2, my sept baby, put himself on a little longer schedule ever since he was little. While awake I try and nurse every 3 hours but sometimes he only nurses for a couple minutes and is super distracted so I'm not sure if he's getting a full feeding. If I offer more frequently for hydration he gets real spazzy. We are still struggling on sippy cup usage. So... How often are your babies nursing during the day?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question for the BF babies

• On weekends when we nurse full time she nurses 6 times or so. My supply is decreasing so she is eating a little more often to get enough. Today I broke out a small bottle because she was getting fussy and I was worried about her consumption. If she only got bottles and I can monitor her intake, she would eat 5 times all day (5-6 oz bottles)

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I try to get her to nurse for a full "meal" every three hours or so, but sometimes it's more like four. If we are home all day she wants to snack off and on.

She isn't too fond of sippy or straw cups, but she likes to drink from a real cup, but she doesn't drink very much water, and I don't pump.

56 oz bottles seems really big for a bf baby?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DD nurses about 5 times a day.  We feed on demand but its roughtly 6am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, and 830 pm. She takes 5 oz bottles when I work. She takes about 3 oz of milk from a sippy total throughout the day.  My DS' never did this. They stayed on the every 2-3 hr routine until we weaned at 1 year. 

She eats a ton of solids.  No pur?es.  

• She nurses about 6-7 times a day. Usually every 2-3 hours. Her long sessions are first thing in the morning, before afternoon nap, and before bed, the rest of the time are pretty quick.  She sucks at sippy cups too and just chews on them, but today we tried with a take and toss cup (no valve so the water pours out and you have to hold it) and she actually drank some! It gave me hope that she will not completely dehydrate when I go back to work in September!  Until today she had never drank anything except BM straight from the breast.  
  • Par13Par13 member
    DS has recently reduced how often he nurses down to 6 nursing sessions a day. He eats about every 3 hours while awake and has 1 overnight session.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• We are still nursing 6-7 times a day as well.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your input! My period hasn't returned yet although somedays I think may be THE day... I worry my supply is tanking and won't meet ds2's needs since his nursing habits are different but he eats solids regularly and his longer nursing sessions are MOTN and first thing in the morning. He's gaining so I guess things are ok. Thanks again!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Depending on how the night went and where we are 4-7 times a day. Morning and bedtime are the longest feedings, at around 15 min each. During the day sometimes it is as little as 2 min but never longer than 10min.
  • imagemrssqueegy:
    DS nurses every 34 hours for 515 minutes at a time, usually 67 times a day.

This is us too.

• Gray99Gray99 member
    On the weekends when I'm with DS full time he still eats every 2 to 3 hours. His morning, before nap and before bed time feedings are longer 15 to 20 min. The rest are only 10 to 15 min.

• imagebubblewrapjk:
    I try to get her to nurse for a full "meal" every three hours or so, but sometimes it's more like four. If we are home all day she wants to snack off and on. She isn't too fond of sippy or straw cups, but she likes to drink from a real cup, but she doesn't drink very much water, and I don't pump. 5-6 oz bottles seems really big for a bf baby?

I have a big baby. And she is only eating solids twice a day with a small snack. She likes eating, but doesn't like being confined to the high chair to do it. BUT, we are starting breakfast at DC this week so we shall see if her bottle intake lessens. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"