January 2014 Moms
Options

STMs: Anyone used a doula?

If you used a doula for birth before I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm starting to look into this because I have some concerns about birth, but it really does not seem to be a popular thing in my area. None of my family members have ever used one and I only have one friend that has. This is strange to me because everyone is having babies! Anyways I am actually not really hoping to have a medication free birth, but I have a pain condition that really limits how much relief interventions might actually offer. I fear that if none of the pain management options work, I will be stuck having a natural birth unprepared. So here are a few questions for you: 

1. Are you glad you had a doula?

2. How did you find your doula?

3. Did the doula being there interfere with family bonding time? I was present at my sister's delivery and it was the most emotional, close, private experience possible. I still want that emotional experience with my hubby (and sis) but with more help than she had with the labor process. 

4. Di you have any pain medication or an epi?

5. Anything else you'd like to add!  

Thanks! 

*********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STMs: Anyone used a doula?

• Options
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm really starting to think this will be a great choice for me once I find the right one. 
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. Are you glad you had a doula?  Yes, and I will be using one again.

2. How did you find your doula? doulamatch.net

3. Did the doula being there interfere with family bonding time? I was present at my sister's delivery and it was the most emotional, close, private experience possible. I still want that emotional experience with my hubby (and sis) but with more help than she had with the labor process.  No, we interviewed several doulas and found one that was very laid back.  And since it was our first baby, she made sure DH was involved instead of just sitting back not knowing what to do.

4. Di you have any pain medication or an epi? No

5. Anything else you'd like to add! Best experience of my life, here is my story: https://annaminzel.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/kylan-patrick-minzel/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never used a doula in a pregnancy that went to term, but my doula was awesome when I found out about my miscarriage at 12w3d last pregnancy.  Anyway, I found my doula because I had trained at a ToLabor doula workshop with her, but if you are looking for a doula you should try going to the websites for different doula organizations they have listings for their doulas.  A couple of organizations to check are DONA and ToLabor.  Also, there is a website called doula match which is really active in some areas and not in others (unfortunately).  It could also help you find a doula.  If you ask around you may also be able to find a doula working toward certification for much less money (but just as much training) as a certified doula.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"