Parenting

Is your house decorated?

DH and I have lived in our house for six years and I have never decorated with the exception of the nursery and DS1's bedroom.  The nursery is animal pirates and DS1's room is Star Wars so nothing too difficult.  I've decided that it's high time I actually took an interest in making my house look a little more put together.  We have a bunch of hodge podge pieces of furniture that we've inherited so this is not as easy as it would be if I could just go out and get matching furniture sets for each room but I'm going to give it a whirl.  We just got hardwoods installed downstairs and it looks too nice to just put whatever in the room.  I've always had a difficult time with decorating just to have things look nice and dislike things that aren't functional in some way.  I'm trying to get over this a little bit.

So, is your house decorated or is everything mostly functional?   

image image

Re: Is your house decorated?

• Ours is a mix. After watching HGTV I want to throw everything out and start over. Not so realistic on a budget. Easiest thing to do is to remove unnecessary stuff. You don't need nick nacks everywhere. And themes can be cheesy in rooms other than kids' rooms. Go with color schemes you like and have fun. If you stick with mostly neutrals you can add a pop of color in various places and swap it out when you get bored of it. I do that with couch pillows, a few decorations on shelves and place mats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • My walls are pretty much empty. I don't even have curtains. It's pretty depressing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Kind of? I have a collection of artwork that I've been adding to over the years. Nothing is really worth anything, but they're all pieces I love. We have them throughout the house. My MIL bought us a nice sofa for the living room when we moved in and we bought some nice side chairs. We have a hand-me-down mahogany dining room set that I would try to take with me if the house was on fire. Other than that, it's mostly IKEA. 

Aside from our bedroom, the house was already painted in colors we liked when we moved in.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    Ours is a mix. After watching HGTV I want to throw everything out and start over. Not so realistic on a budget. Easiest thing to do is to remove unnecessary stuff. You don't need nick nacks everywhere. And themes can be cheesy in rooms other than kids' rooms. Go with color schemes you like and have fun. If you stick with mostly neutrals you can add a pop of color in various places and swap it out when you get bored of it. I do that with couch pillows, a few decorations on shelves and place mats.

I hate nick nacks.  Little frou-frou things that just gather dust.  Yuck.  I never understood the trend with the balls covered in seeds and beans and whatnot just sitting in a bowl.  

I am not against some accessories, though.  DH and I have some awesome art from the Middle East that his dad brought back when he was on tour so I think we are going to incorporate some Moroccan and Middle Eastern style accessories into the living room to kind of tie everything together.  I have no idea what to do with the dining room or our bedroom (frankly, our bedroom is pretty much last on my to do list).  I did finally so something with the kids/guest bathroom which has stumped me for a while because it's all blue.  Blue floor tile, blue bath tub and tile, blue paint, and even a blue toilet for a while until we had to replace it.  I finally decided to just go with an "Under The Sea" theme since it's just for the boys.  Theme rooms are easy.   

image image
  • We've been in this house a year and every room has some decoration but none are complete. It's actually driving me crazy. I have a ton of DIY projects I want to do but we focused first on landscaping the front and back yards. I like trolling antique and thrift stores for decor too but didn't have time while DS was in half day kindergarten, since we live in the boonies. Once school starts, I'm planning to go weekly and fill up some of the empty spaces. Seriously can't wait!
  • MsLsMsLs member
    imageCTGirl30:
    Somewhat decorated.

What I'd love is for the person who styles the Pottery Barn catalog to come and do my house over...

This times 1000. One of DH's lake buddy's house is straight out of PB. He worked there for a short period of time in between jobs and they practically decorated their whole house they have lots of money so they also could afford to
  • Well, I have what I have, but things are placed deliberately, I can't go without art on the walls, etc.

Our style is eclectic, but there is definitely harmony when it comes to color. 

Our bedroom is really the only thing that isn't thought out.  It's kind of "overflow" for furniture that doesn't work anywhere else.

• imageMsLs:
    imageCTGirl30:
    Somewhat decorated.

What I'd love is for the person who styles the Pottery Barn catalog to come and do my house over...

This times 1000. One of DH's lake buddy's house is straight out of PB. He worked there for a short period of time in between jobs and they practically decorated their whole house they have lots of money so they also could afford to

Yeah, definitely. I have a friend who shops that catalogue and gets everything to match. Some years ago I had a grad school friend whose wife did the same with Ethan Allan pieces. I had house envy for sure.

I want a bigger decorating budget, dang it! I like our Ikea and Pier 1 mismatched stuff, but I really want to redo a room or two from top to bottom.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Ours is fairly decorated.

When we moved in, I painted every room. I love my colors, they're timeless. I kept the major rooms [living room, family room, master] neural so I can substitute out accessories for a new look every few years. Smaller rooms with less coordinates [dining room, kitchen, bathrooms] are in bolder colors.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• We originallt had hand me downs when we first moved out on our own together (still do 10 years later) however everything works with burgendy and a sage green color pallet.... wine country or Asian sort of color tones. Over time, we are changing out and have added furnature as needed. Now with a soon to be crawler, we have been putting away (or eliminating) knicknacks.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We're finally beginning to decorate now, growing out of our first apartment/hand me down dorm furniture. I'm with you about knick knacks. For the downstairs, I ended up doing a big area rug and colorful lamps and mirrors as my decorating. I also picked three colors and repeated them in different variations for each room.

Not sure if this is what you need, but check out (you can google) the Megan Method. She's a designer who has a book and a website that teaches you to combine form and function.

It's a bit of work, but it definitely worked for us when we recently redid one of our rooms, especially since we didn't have a huge budget. If nothing else, it taught me to avoid the impulse buy and think about how the piece would be used.

• My best friend is a top interior decorator in our city, so yes my house is decorated thanks to her. I will say one of the things she taught me is that truly well decorated houses are never matchy matchy. People pay big money for her to put together hodge podge pieces that she collects from all over, so you're probably already ahead of the game! You can do a lot with changing hardware, restaining, repainting, or changing the fabric on pieces.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Naw, I think we are pretty far from it. We have hung some pictures and artwork, and our love seat and sofa match. But everything else is just stuff we have accumulated. I do like the way I did DD's room. But it doesnt extend to the rest of the house. Someday, when money isnt as tight, I hope to have a bedroom set. It would be nice if I could convince MIL to stop giving us all her old crap, but so far I am losing that battle. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved in two years ago and are just now really starting to decorate. Were going for cool colors with pops of patterns here and there. I'm finally starting to feel moved in.

imageimage
  • I house is decorated, but not really how I want it.  It definitely isn't anything fancy either.  I would say our most decorated room, other than DS's, is the kitchen and dining room area. 

Our living room has some nice shelves with some pictures on it, also some wedding pictures and a few other misc wall d?cor.  DS's bathroom is all monkeys and ours is beach theme. 

I wish we had more d?cor in our bedroom and the living room.  I am hesitant to get too much until we actually buy a house.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"