Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby food

Hi, ladies!  I've lurked around this board, but never posted.  I'm searching for advice here!  Is there anyone out there who feeds their LO store bought baby food?  DS is 6 months old as of yesterday and we're ready to start solids.  I wanted to exclusively BF, but was only able to for 3 months before having to supplement and eventually switch to formula.  So, I was dead set on making Hudson's baby food, but my hubby is deployed and I just don't have time (or energy) that I need to get it done.  Our families are 6 hours away so it's just me and the babe 24/7.  Anyway, I've been thinking about store bought, but feel really guilty, especially reading through the boards and seeing all the posts from BFing moms who make their own food (and snide comments about those who don't/can't).  HELP!  

Re: Baby food

• There is nothing wrong with store bought baby food. Don't worry about the moms who want to judge, those who cast the first stone and all that.
    We tried it with DD, she wasn't impressed so we switched to BLW. I was using a variety as long as it said organic. With that said, I did just plain old gerber with DS and he's a very healthy, active, wonderful six year old. You could maybe do your own bananas and stuff like that if you wanted. It's easy and practically zero prep.
    If I had a kid when my DH was deployed, you bet your butt I'd be doing things as easy and conveniently as possible.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Sounds like what happened with me. I wanted to to bf until LO was 6 months old but I went back to work and wasn't able to pump so I had to switch her to formula sooner than I wanted. We are using store bought baby food (gerber) and she loves it! GL and I hope yor hubby comes home safely!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Nothing wrong with store bought food!

I made DD1 and now DD2s purees because I think it is easy cheap and kind of fun.

However when DD1 was done with baby food from a spoon she took a liking to the pouch baby food and at almost three years old has one daily more if we'd let her. So even though I made all if her food as a baby she has actually consumed way more store bought baby food in her lifetime.

One advantage to the store bought is they have some really cool combinations of fruits and veggies that I woul never have thought to do. It also travels easier.

Do store bought if it works for you and don't junk twice about what the silly judgy people say!

Also, you could do a combo of both. Mash a banana for breakfast when you are home but give a jar when you are out for lunch etc.
  • imagejwebb0512:
    Hi, ladies!  I've lurked around this board, but never posted.  I'm searching for advice here!  Is there anyone out there who feeds their LO store bought baby food?  DS is 6 months old as of yesterday and we're ready to start solids.  I wanted to exclusively BF, but was only able to for 3 months before having to supplement and eventually switch to formula.  So, I was dead set on making Hudson's baby food, but my hubby is deployed and I just don't have time (or energy) that I need to get it done.  Our families are 6 hours away so it's just me and the babe 24/7.  Anyway, I've been thinking about store bought, but feel really guilty, especially reading through the boards and seeing all the posts from BFing moms who make their own food (and snide comments about those who don't/can't).  HELP!  

Plenty of Moms use store bought, just do what works best for you! If you're looking for convenience though, you may want to check out BLW. I just cook one meal for all of us. If it's not baby friendly I give her banana instead (no prep, just unpeel the tip).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've made some baby food just to save money. It's not too hard but I can understand you don't have much spare time. We've used regular Gerber, Sprout, and Happy Baby. I like them all fine but prefer Gerber because it is more reasonably priced. Don't be so hard on yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with store bought food.

• I am a breastfeeding baby food making mamma who is here to say you deserve all the respect and support in the world for being as strong as you are and doing what you do!! There is nothing wrong with store bought food at all and if I were in your shoes I'd be doing the same thing. 
  • I had every intention of making DD's food too, but so far I have not. Don't feel badly at all! I work full time and I just haven't been organized or motivated enough to go through the steps to make it.

Plus, I only give her food every few days and the tiny jars last at least two feelings, so I think buying a jar or two is just easier!

So far I've used the Earth's Best Organics and a Ella's kitchen pouch. I like that the stage one foods come in very small jars/pouches and are about .75 each.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ton's of people use store bought food, this isn't something to feel guilty over. I work full time and I would rather spend time with my baby then extra time cooking. I use mostly Plum pouches and Gerber finger foods. Now that he is older I am also giving him bits of what I am eating too and we are leaning more towards the finger foods.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I use Gerber fruits and veggies for G and she loves them!
    Untitled Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If nothing else, having a baby has taught me there is more than one right way to do something, everyone has an opinion and you just have to do what works for your baby and your family.

Having said all that. DD had her first taste of "real food" last night. She had Gerber butternut squash and LOVED it. All it is is water and squash.

We plan to give her fresh avacado, fresh sweet potato and fresh banana over the next few weeks. If if make mashed potatoes I plan to let her try some without all the butter, milk, salt, added.

We are using the store bought pureed carrots, green beans and peas, though.

I feel like it doesn't have to be all or nothing and that we all are feeding our babies the best we can and ultimately that's what matters.

• Oh, jeez, there are so many "feeding snobs" on here. Just ignore them.

BF is best, yes, but formula is really good too, and there is nothing detrimental to it.

Same with making your own or buying. In fact, jarred food is made when produce is at its peak ripeness, so it has been suggested that it may actually contain more nutrients than homemade food.

Personally, I use Earth's Best. I refuse to feed my kids anything that I would not eat myself, and Earth's Best is quite tasty. It tastes very, very fresh. Plus no artificial anything, and it is stored in glass, not plastic.

Keep in mind that even if you jar feed in the beginning, by 7 or 8 months, your child will start to eat finger foods (that you don't have to cook and puree), and you can also give him or her fresh fruit and veggies in a mesh pouch now. So his or her period of consumption of jarred food is actually quite short.

Whatever you decide for your own child is wonderful.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you, ladies! Feeling much better! 
  • I originally bought a baby food maker to make my baby's food but soon realized I didn't have the time or energy either. My husband is also in the military and gone a lot. So with me and the baby all alone most days I don't feel like making it either. So now I am just buying the food and its so much easier. My daughter loves the Gerber food. Also the food that I made with the maker she actually didn't like it. I made it before I gave her the store food. Don't feel guilty about it. My dr. Says there is nothing wrong with it. :
  • DCKateDCKate member
    You are a good mom and you're feeding your LO the best way you can. Nothing wrong with that!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • The ONLY reason I'm not using store bought food right now is because I'm still not back to work yet! And it's kind of fun to make. When I go back, I will try to keep up but I will not hesitate to pick up a jar of Gerber. Go for it!

(I am kind of nervous about the meat in jars though...anyone else...?) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"