Health & Exercise
Options

Plus size FTM

My name is Nikki and I'm 26 and just found out last week that I'm expecting, I'm about 4 weeks 2 days. I'm a size 16 right now. I had planned on losing weight before getting pregnant, but that didn't happen. I don't have a current routine and a lot of stuff I've read says to stick with what you've been doing. If I do that, I'll be the size of a house! lol Any recommendations?!

Re: Plus size FTM

• Options
    If you weren't active before, walking is a safe activity to start now. You could also do some light free weights. Try to eat as healthy as possible and walk, walk, walk. Good luck with your pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagessmb_clarinet:
    If you weren't active before, walking is a safe activity to start now. You could also do some light free weights. Try to eat as healthy as possible and walk, walk, walk. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Agreed!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagechristy32685:
    imagessmb_clarinet:
    Agreed!!

Also agree, walking is a great exersize. Watch your diet too :)

• Options

I agree with the walking. While your goal shouldn't be to lose weight, it should be to help strengthen your body to have a healthy pregnancy and to get you through labor :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

You can't start an exercise program if you have not worked out prior to pregnancy. Discuss with your dr....ask for suggestions....

m/c #1 6/30/05 m/c #2 9/18/06 m/c #3 9/18/08 BFP 10/21/12....EDD 7/6/13....Praying this is my sticky baby. Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Really light pre-natal yoga might be ok for you in addition to walking. Just absolutely take it easy and do all the modifications (don't push yourself).

As far as being concerned about gaining a lot of weight, talk to your Dr and do some research on your own, and just really watch your diet. You will have to gain some weight, but really to be healthy you should be ok with only 20-30 pounds - you don't need to gain a ton. Some women do gain a lot and are ok with that, but some women also have a history of being able to loose weight easily. If you are concerned about loosing it later, its probably easiest to try not to gain it. You can still load up on food (you will get hungry!) just make healthy choices like tons of fresh vegetables, some fruit, whole grains like air-popped popcorn and oatmeal - it will help you from gaining too much, and eating healthfully is good for your baby as well, plus it gets you in a good habit for once the baby comes.

• Options

Your number one focus should be on eating healthful food. Talk to your doctor right away about this and make sure that you have support from others to keep you on track with good food choices. Exercise is good and staying active during pregnancy is important, but the majority of weight gain is attributed to your intake. There are women on bed rest who don't over-gain during pregnancy, which supports that it isn't nearly as important to figure out a new "workout routine" as much as it's important to figure out a new "eating routine". PPs are right on when they say you need to clear activity with your OB when you have your first appointment, but until then, don't feel like you have to restrict your activity. Go for walks or bike rides, and just avoid over-exerting yourself.

Best of luck to you in your journey! 

• Options
    water aerobics. Great way to stretch everything out. And takes the weight off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    That's a big wrong answer. You can and should start an exercise program. Talking with your doctor is the right answer. I weigh more than the poster and my doctor said do whatever you are comfortable with, where you can talk and just get your off the couch. Walking is the best answer to do and then stretching is the second. I just made it through my first (yoga) and (public class) today and if I can do it, than so can you. Good luck!
    imageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"