January 2013 Moms

1st Birthday

While I knew we have 6 more months, the thought if LOs 1st birthday crossed my mind today. My DH and I don't live close to family, with my family being 2 hours away and his family being 4 hours away. Has anyone who has a similar situation thought about what you'll do for your LOs birthday party? Knowing how dramatic both of our families are, I feel like if I have it near either family it will cause issues, but I'm afraid if I have it where we live he won't get to see most of his cousins. At this point I'm thinking I'll just have 2 small get togethers, but it would be great to have the whole family in one spot.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 1st Birthday

• All of our close family is within a 7 hour drive.  If we move into a new house by then we will host it at our house.  If not, we will either rent a space in our town or have a party at my parents' house which is almost 2 hours away but a halfish way point for a lot of people.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Yes, I completely understand! My parents are divorced to add to the travel issues. As much as I want to just say suck it up and do this for your grandbaby. I know the best thing to do is have two small gatherings.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're a 5 hour FLIGHT from both of our families, and my husband is in the Army. So chances are his first, second, third, and fourth, birthdays will be just the 3 of us. Maybe some of his friends in a couple years. I can't tell you how sad that makes me.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Since DS's birthday is December 30th I wanted to book it already with everyone since it is holiday time. The 30th is a Monday so it's at 1pm on Sunday the 29th. Here at our house (family is mostly local at most an hour away). Theme is decided, cake is booked...I'm a LITTLE excited about it.

It's just for family...DH and I decided we didn't want to do the big 1st birthday hoopla with a ton of people. Nice, quiet and simple....and fun of course!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imagejobiann:
    Since DS's birthday is December 30th I wanted to book it already with everyone since it is holiday time. The 30th is a Monday so it's at 1pm on Sunday the 29th. Here at our house family is mostly local at most an hour away. Theme is decided, cake is booked...I'm a LITTLE excited about it.It's just for family...DH and I decided we didn't want to do the big 1st birthday hoopla with a ton of people. Nice, quiet and simple....and fun of course!

Our DS's share a birthday! I'm starting to plan now and that's what made me think of location!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• I'd like it to just be the 3 of us but I know we'll have to invite DH's family. Mine lives across the country. There is no way I'm going to make it a big party.
    I've suffered through way too many huge 1st birthdays for people's kids who we're just friends with, not even good friends. But I always feel obligated to attend.

• I am highly impressed that so many of you have family/friends that would travel so far for a 1st birthday. I understand it is a big milestone, but I can't imagine having people travel more than an hour for some cake and ice cream. 

I'm not judging if this comes out that way. I am just surprised. Even two hours seems like a long drive for a party unless maybe you are the grandparents.

I would say go with two small get-togethers or find a place in the middle. Maybe a nice park or zoo with picnic area.  

EDIT: I am still in July baby mode (my 1st son). I don't know where you live, but the park/zoo thing might not work for our January babies. Oops. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamberhoon:
    imagejobiann:
    Since DS's birthday is December 30th I wanted to book it already with everyone since it is holiday time. The 30th is a Monday so it's at 1pm on Sunday the 29th. Here at our house family is mostly local at most an hour away. Theme is decided, cake is booked...I'm a LITTLE excited about it.It's just for family...DH and I decided we didn't want to do the big 1st birthday hoopla with a ton of people. Nice, quiet and simple....and fun of course!
    Our DS's share a birthday! I'm starting to plan now and that's what made me think of location!

Birthday buddies!! We don't have the travel issue but I figurd that close to the holidays may be tricky and I don't want his bday to be smooshed in somewhere. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageAshleyDehaven:
    We're a 5 hour FLIGHT from both of our families, and my husband is in the Army. So chances are his first, second, third, and fourth, birthdays will be just the 3 of us. Maybe some of his friends in a couple years. I can't tell you how sad that makes me.

Same here, well the flight part. It makes me sad but that's reality. When I was a child my mom's family was overseas and a 11 hour flight. We didn't see them often but I have very fond memories of the time we did spend together. Now that Skype is around I think it will be easier. Ugh.....rambling... Sorry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejobiann:

Since DS's birthday is December 30th I wanted to book it already with everyone since it is holiday time. The 30th is a Monday so it's at 1pm on Sunday the 29th. Here at our house (family is mostly local at most an hour away). Theme is decided, cake is booked...I'm a LITTLE excited about it.

It's just for family...DH and I decided we didn't want to do the big 1st birthday hoopla with a ton of people. Nice, quiet and simple....and fun of course!

This is exactly where I'm at.... minus the actually getting things booked.

I want to do a cake smash photo shoot with one of those giant cupcake looking cakes and DS in a tuxedo. I will either invite the grandparents to come watch DS's first cake at the photo studio or will get a photographer to come out to my house... not sure which yet, still pricing. Afterward, the party will be pretty low key... food and visiting. :) 

My own birthday is December 28th and my BIL's birthday is December 20th so both my family and ILs are used to holiday time birthdays. DS's birthday is January 1st and I'm super excited about it!! Everyone will stay up New Year's Eve and when midnight comes DS will be asleep but I'll kiss DH and then kiss DS and whisper happy birthday to him while he sleeps. I'm getting a little teary thinking about it. He is growing TOO FAST!!

ETA: We don't have a travel issue with close family. LO's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all live within 2 hours away. MY grandparents live significantly further away, but I don't expect them to want to make the trip and there would be no way to work out a location for all of them (one in Northern CA, one in Southern CA, and one in MN).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"