Breastfeeding

nursing baby #2 and beyond

For those of you who have nursed more than one child, was your experience the same with each baby? Was your supply the same? Did your milk come in around the same time?

I was able to nurse DS for 14 months and I had a good supply. Is it wishful thinking to assume that it will be just as easy the second time around?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: nursing baby #2 and beyond

• I had low supply and various issues BF'ing DD1.

With DD2 I have no supply issues and our BF relationship has been smoother and happier.

• I'd say my experiences were pretty similar as far as supply and milk coming in.  My 2nd was a MUCH slower gainer than my first which really threw me - she was taking in plenty just didn't spike up like my oldest did (although in fairness she was already 10 pounds at birth so I think she was just dropping back to her curve so to speak). 

I think having done it once gives you a leg up in that you know what to expect - and it makes you better able to handle any challenges that might arise.
  • Loading the player...
  • My experiences were VERY different. But, with DD#1 I had just about every complication ever - poor latch, poor weight gain, cracked/bleeding nipples, thrush, mastitis and a breast abscess requiring minor surgery. 

Fortunately, with DD#2 things have been smooth sailing :)  

• I've nursed 3 babies and it was the same great experience all 3 times.  I nursed 10 months with #1, 18 months with #2, and am 2 months into #3.  I would think if you were successful the first time, you have a great chance for success again.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I nursed DS1 for 14 months and had to really fight for ever ounce while pumping at work.

it has been so much easier this time around. Not only am I more laid back, my milk came in on day 2, and I actually had an over supply (that has now finally regulated).

Bc I had such a tough time keeping up with Ds1 from 9-12 months, I planned on stopping at 6 months with Ds2. Bc things are going so well, I will continue to a year and beyond.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The experience has definitely been different this time around. It has been harder this time, but not deal breaking hard. They are just different babies, different preferences, eating habits, etc. My supply has needed a little help this time around but simply solved with fenugreek and a nighttime pump session. Maybe it just doesn't seem that bad since its not my first go at bfing. It may be different, but it will still be just as great! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My milk didn't come in until day 5 w/ DD1 and I was leaking crazy amounts of colostrum from the get go with DD2 and milk in day 2 so that was nice.  Both my girls were spitters and comfort nurses (likely my doing but I can live with that).....DD1 nursed for 24mo, DD2 for 19mo d/t pregnancy or I presume she'd have nursed longer.  I've really had a great experience with both and hope to repeat a 3rd time!
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"