Blended Families

NBF: stupid observation

American Girl stores have free occasionally, like make a bookmark, just something small.  They are for "girls ages 8 and up."  I did not play with dolls at 8, stopped playing with Barbies around 8 or 9.  Now I know American Girl was not around when I was little since I am old and all but I cannot imagine that I personally would have wanted to go to a doll store by 9.  Now I know some kids are still into dolls and kids collect them and they put an age of 8+ of the large dolls but from the people I know most kids are getting these younger so it is a stupid marketing decision not to allow younger kids to participate since once you bring your kid in the store you are screwed into taking out a second mortgage.  I wanted to do NYC with the kids this summer and would have planned going on an event day but oh well.

As a side my kids have only been out of school one week so I am trying to make a calendar of stuff to do and trying to make it cost as little as possible...and I am jealous of Ilumine's almost daily beach pics on Facebook.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: NBF: stupid observation

• The original American Girl dolls were definitely geared toward the 7 to 12 age range. They were all spin offs of the book series and I believe the main characters were all 10 or 11.
    I was a huge AG fan. When I first started reading them there was only three. Samantha, Molly and Kirsten. Then they added Felicity. I loved the history and the storylines, even though each character had the exact same stories. I hate that they have basically done away with the historical characters. Makes me sad.

I buy each of my special girls, goddaughters, close friends girls, a bitty baby for their first birthdays. GDs will get whatever historical dolls they want as they get older.
  • imagexmaryrickx:
    The original American Girl dolls were definitely geared toward the 7 to 12 age range. They were all spin offs of the book series and I believe the main characters were all 10 or 11.
    I was a huge AG fan. When I first started reading them there was only three. Samantha, Molly and Kirsten. Then they added Felicity. I loved the history and the storylines, even though each character had the exact same stories. I hate that they have basically done away with the historical characters. Makes me sad.

I buy each of my special girls, goddaughters, close friends girls, a bitty baby for their first birthdays. GDs will get whatever historical dolls they want as they get older.

I totally agree. I wish there was more focus on what the original AG's were, the historical characters. Rather than 100 different "just like me" dolls.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know they are aimed for the older kids, I just wish that if they were having events that they would have something for the you little ones especially since they sell dolls for kids 3 and up and also since they clearly know people buy them for younger kids too. And my 6yo son is really into WWII right now and the Molly books. He has read the first two and one of the mini ones. Oh well. Like I said it was a stupid complaint but annoyed me.
  • To attend the events you have to be over 8?
    I'm not following you here lovely.

When I went to the NYC store there were tons of under 8 yo there. As an aside I would not go within a mile of that place between thanksgiving and Christmas. I was talking to one of the employees who said on weekends in December it can be a three hour wait to get in the door. Insert appalled face here. We were there on a Saturday afternoon in february and it was lovely. Not really crowded at all.
  • Yeah for the little events you have to be over 8 not for shopping or eating.

I would guess that store is insane Thanksgiving weekend and the day of the tree lighting. We have gone during the week the around Dec 7 or 9 and it is very crowded but no line to get in and probably a five min line to check out. I have also gone the weekend that same week and same thing.

I do agree that they should have never done what they did to the whole line but Mattel bought them so it is not surprising. They are actually retiring Molly. My DD only has a Bitty Baby and Bitty Twin but like I said my son is interested in the historical characters and historical fiction. Molly was one year older than my Mom so he really likes reading about the time which is so cool since those books are obviously not written for his age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"