December 2013 Moms
Options

STMs? Handmedowns

Hello. FTM here but this will be the 11th grandchild. My three siblings have a total of 5 boys and 5 girls. So I am grateful for the amount of handmedowns that will be coming my way. My question is whether there is anything you guys think DH and I should definitely buy/register for our own. If not, should we just register for a ton of diapers??

Re: STMs? Handmedowns

• Options
    Personally I would like to have my baby gear brand new...so if anything happens you can always return it and replace it...
  • Options
    I'd see what people are offering and then register for any pieces that are really important to you or anything that's missing that you want. It's usually a good idea to buy car seats and cribs new, unless you are super super sure of their history and recall status (your call). You might want a cool new stroller, but if you get a great one as a hand-me-down, that's cool too. As for clothes, I'd just see what you get and then buy any additional pieces you need as you go along.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Brand new: bottles, crib, car seat, teething toys.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Given that this is coming from family, I'd be comfortable with any items AS LONG AS you're confident about looking up recalls and checking up on safety regulations. Cribs, car seats, and strollers in particular would need to be checked. Cribs shoukd not be dropside and should have no larger than 2 and 3/8 inch spaces between the bars. Car seats have printed expiration dates. Any hard toys, including teethers, can be sanitized in hot water, with a bleach and rinse, or even in a dishwasher's sanitize cycle.

For my part, I will be accepting any donations from my cousin, who has a 2 year old. Hooray for free... And due diligence!
  • Options

imageCashingn2:
    imageKKDRAGONFLY:
    Brand new: bottles, crib, car seat, teething toys.
    This though if they're willing to give you a crib that's in good condition, I'd make sure it's safe and doesn't have any recalls or anything and only then would I consider taking it. The rest, I'd always plan to just get my own

Yes, I'd say it's more important to have a new crib mattress than the crib itself (assuming it doesn't have dropsides, is in good condition, etc.) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    InkfulInkful member

I'd personally take hand-me-downs for almost anything except furniture, so long as they check out ok. The only reason I wouldn't want hand-me down furniture is purely for aesthetic reasons.

• Options

If you have a drop down crib hand me down...

The crib I have was recalled for having a drop down side... I looked them up and found a free kit that converts it so its safe and not drop down ( it was super easy to find on the Internet and free shipping).  

Sandralee
  • Options
    jmb527jmb527 member

I found it strange to register for diapers, it's like stating the obvious. I'm sort of picky, well I was probably more with my first, but I'm not too big on hand me downs either depending on the condition of the things being given.

ETA: missing word

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The car seat is the only thing I would NEED to purchase new. There are constantly new regulations all the time. For example, in Canada there were no standards introduced in 2012 so anything with a manufactured date (regardless of expiration date) is not supposed to be passed down to a family member or sold.

And as PP mentioned, you really would have no way of knowing if the seat was dropped or something too hard. Something to small someone might even forget about. Buy a new car seat and new nipples for bottles and pacifiers.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"