School-Aged Children
Options

Sleeping on a different level as your child

We are thinking of moving DD's bedroom down to the basement.  We have a 2 story home and the bedrooms are upstairs on the 3rd floor, and then we have one in the basement.  The basement is garden level and was recently finished, so it in no way feels like a dingy basement. Just wondering if anyone else has done this. DD would be about 6 yrs old if/when we change her room.  
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Sleeping on a different level as your child

• Options

If your child consistently sleeps through the night and doesn't make too many visits to your room, you should be fine.  Especially if she has a bathroom on the same level. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Why move her? How many kids do you have and how many bedrooms upstairs? I personally would never let an elementary school age kid be two floors away from me especially since she would have two floors of access to leave the house and you would never hear it. Even if you had an alarm I would be uncomfortable.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLittlejen22:
    Why move her? How many kids do you have and how many bedrooms upstairs? I personally would never let an elementary school age kid be two floors away from me especially since she would have two floors of access to leave the house and you would never hear it. Even if you had an alarm I would be uncomfortable.

This. No way would I do that!

• Options
    jehprbjehprb member

DS has been on a separate floor since we bought this house when he was 2.5yrs - he's 7.5 now.  We still use the baby monitor though because even if he screamed bloody murder there's no way we'd hear him :-P

• Options
    First floor, maybe.  Two floors down in a walk out basement, definitely not.  For one, I am too paranoid.  But the other reason is the teenage years, as a PP mentioned.  Makes it way too easy for her to sneak out and sneak friends in.

• Options
    ppantsppants member
    We recently built a two story home and all bedroom are upstairs.  I don't worry so much about the future sneaking out, but I worry if there was a fire or some other emergency and not being able to reach my two 7 yr olds in time.  I agree about the walkout (which we also have) and someone getting in easier.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options

At age 6, I don't think I would do it in your house layout.  If it was a split level where you were only flight away, I could see doing it assuming your child has no issues getting up to go potty or come get you if needed.  With my 7 year old, she could easily be on a separate floor but my 5 year old (March bday), no way.  She refuses to get out of bed herself for anything.  The dark freaks her out in some ways still (even with a night light).

When DH and I have the money, we are turning our guest room/bath and part of the laundry room into a master suite with huge walk-in closet and nice bath.  We live in the split level the girls will be on the upper level and we will be basically, directly under them.  I won't do it for a few years though, until my LO is able to get up on her own at night for any reason and I want her to be a little older anyway - I am thinking 2 years min before I do it.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    No, I wouldn't put my child 2 floors away from me.  Our bedroom is on the main level of our house and all the other bedrooms are upstairs.  I'm comfortable with this.  I wouldn't be comfortable with being upstairs, though, while the kids are downstairs.  Much less being TWO floors away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"