August 2013 Moms

Update to sick puppy

It's been almost a month since Loki was diagnosed with immune mediated anemia. [basically his body is killing his red blood cells]. They ruled out all cancer, tumors, bone marrow disease etc and in the end they have no idea why this is happening.
He went on prednisone for 2 weeks to see if that would make his immune system stop the attack. No dice, his red blood cell count is now down from 27 percent in the beginning to 16 percent. We've started him on an additional medicine and will retest again in a week, but he doesn't seem to be feeling any better. He is sleeping all day and you can tell his energy is just gone. He's lost 6lbs and you can feel his ribs and backbone a little now [he was alway very lean so 6lbs is a LOT from his original 57 lb frame]
The entire thing is absolutly tearing me up, he is our first baby after all. I try to stay positive that maybe the medicine will help him but in the back of my mind I feel like I need to prepare to make the hard decision that may be ahead.
I've always envisioned him sleeping in the nursery by DD's crib and letting us know when she is awake or crying. Now I'm facing saying goodbye to him and hello to my daughter within weeks of each other. I just can't process it all.
Sorry for the sob story. Keep my guy in your T and P!

Re: Update to sick puppy

• So sorry to hear that. We had to put down our first fur baby a few months before DS was born and it was unbelievably difficult. Hang in there t and p's for you.
    IMG_0663
  • Sorry. T and P's
  • Loading the player...
  • Sad So sorry to hear there has been no improvement. T & P your way. Thinking of you.  

• This is heartbreaking. So sorry for you

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh this is so sad. I work as a vet tech and hate hate hate to see people go through this. I'm so sorry you're dog is so sick. I've seen dogs recover from this lots of times before but it's a long long road. Have they discussed blood transfusions with you? I know it's super expensive but maybe try it once to see if it helps? And have they upped his pred dosage at all? Good luck and I hope he pulls through!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Gosh, I hate this for you. I am so sorry to hear this.

I was hoping to hear some good news.. T&P for you and your baby.

• I am so sorry you are going through this. My fur baby was sick leecently for abou a month with similar symptoms. We did a bunch of tests as well and now they believe she has inflammatory bowel disease. She lost 2 pounds which is a lot considering she only typically weighs 11. We have her on prednisone now and she is doing much better. I know how you are feeling though and it sucks to think about difficult decisions. I will say some prayers for your dog and I hope this new medicine works.
  • imagesparks4stp:
    Ugh this is so sad. I work as a vet tech and hate hate hate to see people go through this. I'm so sorry you're dog is so sick. I've seen dogs recover from this lots of times before but it's a long long road. Have they discussed blood transfusions with you? I know it's super expensive but maybe try it once to see if it helps? And have they upped his pred dosage at all? Good luck and I hope he pulls through!!

We doubled the prednisone in the second week. This week we added cyclosporine to the existing pred dosage. If his levels keep going down at the rate we have seen so far he will need a transfusion in about 2 weeks. We are willing to do that at least once or twice to see if it buys enough time to find a medicine combo that works. I think At some point it becomes a quality of life delima...what is the point of doing transfusions and high dosages of medicine that just keep him alive enough to just lay there. It amazes me how fast this has gone. 4 weeks ago he was his usual playful energetic self...today he has only gotten up to eat once and go outside to pee.
  • Oh no. We will be keeping him in our thoughts. There has to be something that will make him feel better.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I'm so sorry, I was so hoping this was a happy post! TPs for your sweet fur baby and that the new meds work! I can't imagine the emotions you must be feelin right now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you all for the kind words. I haven't really shared this with many people or on Facebook mainly because I do t want the constant questions about how he is doing...especially since it hasn't been good news so far. It good to have somewhere to talk about it. :]
  • imageStephw32:
    imagesparks4stp:
    Ugh this is so sad. I work as a vet tech and hate hate hate to see people go through this. I'm so sorry you're dog is so sick. I've seen dogs recover from this lots of times before but it's a long long road. Have they discussed blood transfusions with you? I know it's super expensive but maybe try it once to see if it helps? And have they upped his pred dosage at all? Good luck and I hope he pulls through!!
    We doubled the prednisone in the second week. This week we added cyclosporine to the existing pred dosage. If his levels keep going down at the rate we have seen so far he will need a transfusion in about 2 weeks. We are willing to do that at least once or twice to see if it buys enough time to find a medicine combo that works. I think At some point it becomes a quality of life delima...what is the point of doing transfusions and high dosages of medicine that just keep him alive enough to just lay there. It amazes me how fast this has gone. 4 weeks ago he was his usual playful energetic self...today he has only gotten up to eat once and go outside to pee.

I totally understand the quality of life issue. What I always tell pet owners is that they know their pets better than any of us at the animal hospital do and they will know what decision is best and when to make it. I wish you all the luck in the word and really really hope he pulls through. Just remember, you are doing everything you can for him and he knows how much you love him. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"