Parenting

Restaurant Tipping

Last night we went to a new restaurant we found on Yelp. We had a terrible experience.  Food was terrible (although this isn't fault of waitress). Service was terrible. There was only one other table occupied in the whole place so you would think service would be good. Nope. It took forever for them to bring drinks. Then the food came. DH and DD got theirs. Mine didn't come out. Then waitress goes and sits down two tables away from me and starts eating her dinner. (I have not issue with her eating BUT I think she should make sure her customer has her food first). When she done with her food she goes and gets my food and brings it to me. By this time DH and DD were done eating.

Then it is another long wait to get the check. and forget about drink refills.

I tipped 10%. I seriously debated giving nothing. In my opinion tips are voluntary. I believe you should always tip and I do, usually 20% but I am NOT giving 20% for terrible service. 

What say you? should I have given nothing? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Restaurant Tipping

• Where's Springs1?!

I probably would not have tipped, personally.
  • You should have complained to the manager. It sounds like the waitress didn't get her break, and there was no one to cover her table(s). That's management's screw up.

My grandmother would have written a letter. It's actually not a bad idea if you can find a contact email address. The owner may not be the manager and may not be aware of such a huge breakdown.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you had to deal with such shitty service.  I'm guilty of having to leave at least something, but you're definitely right not to give the 20%.  I would have also commented to the supervisor/owner, because you had such terrible service. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Wow, that's pretty unprofessional. I don't disagree with you there.

In terms of what I would do? I tend to be a sucker when it comes to tipping and probably would have left 15, on the low end for me, and been done with it. I tend to fall on the side of "waitressing is a hard, thankless job and those extra few dollars mean more to her than to me." Benefit of the doubt because everyone has rotten days. But I would not go back to that restaurant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Make sure to give them a bad review on yelp!
  • imagecerratocc:
    Make sure to give them a bad review on yelp!

I plan on it!

• I personally think a waitress shouldn't eat in view of the patrons when she's not on a break.  In that situation, I would have left a very minimal tip.  I don't think I could leave nothing.  I would also make the manager aware of the poor service and not return to the restaurant.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekiraliz2:
    If an experience is ever bad enough that I am considering leaving less than 15 tip, I alert the manager. nbsp;

The only people around were the cook and two waitresses.

• imageNechie122:
    Wow, that's pretty unprofessional. I don't disagree with you there. In terms of what I would do? I tend to be a sucker when it comes to tipping and probably would have left 15, on the low end for me, and been done with it. I tend to fall on the side of "waitressing is a hard, thankless job and those extra few dollars mean more to her than to me." Benefit of the doubt because everyone has rotten days. But I would not go back to that restaurant.

I totally agree. 

• imagefredalina:
    I think you were generous. That is very bad service. I have had worse, but pretty similar, and tipped a quarter. My friends thought I was mean but I'm sorry, if I ask for water 4 times and never get it, don't get syrup for my pancakes that came after everyone else ate, and get bad attitude, I am not tipping.

Who does that? Why would they torture you like that?

• imagekiraliz2:
    imageKKDRAGONFLY:
    imagekiraliz2:
    If an experience is ever bad enough that I am considering leaving less than 15 tip, I alert the manager. nbsp;

The only people around were the cook and two waitresses.

I didn't ask.

So you asked for the manager?

• imagefredalina:
    Not everyone wants to ask for a manager. If the only person I had to ask to get the manager was the crappy waitress, I probably wouldn't. That's asking for confrontation at a time when all I want is to be done with the horrible dining experience. It would be nice to tell the manager because they need to know their servers suck, but it's not the patron's responsibility to tell either, especially if the only people visible are the server and cook.

That was how I felt.

• My friend left a bad review on yelp for one restaurant and the manager contacted her and offered her a free meal.  maybe it will happen to you, too!

ETA: not the free meal, cause you don't want to go back there (my friend did not accept) but at least you will know the manager saw it. 

• imageBuddy the Elf:

imagefredalina:
    I think you were generous. That is very bad service. I have had worse, but pretty similar, and tipped a quarter. My friends thought I was mean but I'm sorry, if I ask for water 4 times and never get it, don't get syrup for my pancakes that came after everyone else ate, and get bad attitude, I am not tipping.

I feel a little sad any time I get fake maple syrup instead of the real deal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • No tip. We are pretty critical bc FIL manages a very well known restaurant and dh has basically grown up in the industry. We can tell the difference between a bad kitchen and a bad server. However if you do a good job we have been known to tip 50 percent.
  • Personally I agree with what you did.  I hate tipping for bad service too but I can't in good conscious leave nothing.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageSpooko:
    imagefredalina:
    imageBuddy the Elf:

imagefredalina:

Seriously, it was like 10 years ago and I am still traumatized.

You shoulda thrown your dryass pancakes at that biotch. 

LMAO I'm picturing somebody pissed off throwing pancakes at their waitress
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm usually a pretty good tipper (20%), but I have given a quarter (or maybe it was a dime) in the past (only once) for absolutely terrible service.

We had a group of friends out to celebrate someone's birthday and our server was just horrible. He was rude to us, giving us attitude and "forgot" to bring us drinks when we asked. I think the whole table barely tipped him, that's how bad the service was.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I normally leave 12-15%, if I honestly feel like they deserve less, I do get the manager involved.  Since I was a server through high school and college, I tend to be a little more forgiving and generous.  However, there are just some things I do not let go - rudeness and cleanliness are two of them. 

I hate having to ask for things, so if I have to ask for things more than once or twice, I get so annoyed.  I also try to think of everything I need, so I don't have too run the poor person like crazy. 

When we went on vacation several weeks ago, we had driven 8 hours only to get into our cabin and find the water was working.  We had already unloaded two cars and had to load everything back and drive to another cabin.  At this point, we were tired and sweaty.  No one felt like showering or getting dressed up and we ended up at a Western Sizzling (a buffet restaurant) an hour before they were supposed to close.  The people were all so nice and friendly.  Our server was a young guy and went above and beyond, told us to take our time and we never had to ask for anything.  Our table's bill was $48, we left $20 and I called the manager over to compliment our server.

• I wouldn't have tipped.

That said, I left a terrible review on a dry cleaner's page on Yelp a few months ago and he harassed the hell out of me [constant anonymous phone calls, commenting on the post, messaging me] and threatened to sue me for libel. El oh el.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• imageKKDRAGONFLY:
    ). When she done with her food she goes and gets my food and brings it to me.

My question is WHY didn't you go up to her to get your food instead of SUFFERING like that, huh?

I would have stiffed her, but I also would have tried to make my experience no so horrible either but not letting her do that to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"