Breastfeeding
Options

Ravenous 3-day old

I know cluster feeding is common at the start, but from this morning at 5 AM till now, this little guy can't seem to do anything but nurse. He slept for about an hour this morning, when I ate breakfast, and for a few 20 minute stints. The rest of the time he's been rooting and/or nursing and/or making pterydactl noises because he's not nursing.

I can't keep this up. He latches well, but my nipples are getting really sore from constant sucking, and by 11 AM I was feeling weak and shaky since I'd been nursing all morning long. As soon as I finished eating lunch, at 11:45, I started nursing again, and I finally just handed off a rooting baby to DH.

Suggestions? 

Re: Ravenous 3-day old

• Options
    Have someone run to the store and stock up on healthy snacks and lanolin for you, and hang in there =) It's normal, and it will get better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Plan to spend your days on the couch with your nursing pillow and baby!! Enjoy the snuggle time. My DS nursed hourly for a long time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Get a gigantic water jug and drink as much as you can - that always helped me when I was feeling weak.  And tell DH (or whoever else is helping you) to keep the snacks and meals coming, specifically things that you can eat with one hand (sandwiches, baby carrots, apples, crackers, string cheese, granola bars, etc).  

Also, have someone go out and get Lansinoh soothies if you don't already have them.  You can put them on between sessions, and they feel especially amazing if you keep them in the fridge.  It'll get better soon - just keep at it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"