February 2014 Moms
Options

Pressure from mum

Has anyone had this problem... I don't live close to my family and will be visiting them around the 11 week mark. My mum knows I'm pregnant and is pressuring me to tell the family when I'm down. This would be the whole family: aunts cousins etc...

I don't have my first scan until 12weeks and really want to wait to see if everything's ok. I told my mum this and she says she is really disappointed. This is her first grandchild. I feel really guilty now but I told her not to pressure me and I wouldn't so it.

What do you think?

Re: Pressure from mum

• Options
    I think do what you want. If you feel better about waiting then you should wait. This is your pregnancy, not hers. I know we have this want to make everyone happy but that's just not the case sometimes. Besides, she will get over it.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Stick to your guns. She's allowed to be disappointed. You're an adult and get to make decisions.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your pregnancy, your choice. She had hers when she was pregnant and needs to respect that this is not about her. I have a similar mother who tends to do things like this. I reminded her that my choosing to tell her in the first trimester was a kindness to her that she should not make me regret or avoid with future pregnancies! The motherdaughter trust is important to have. Hey, a little guilt never hurt!
  • Options
    My mom was like this at first and then she calmed down and honored my decision to wait. I honestly was shocked that she was so pushy on this topic because she struggled to have me and I have struggled for years as well.
    It is hopefully the initial excitement and soon it'll be easier for her to keep quiet and let you tell in your own way in your own time.

P.s. I did let my mom tell her one sister so she could day dream with her. I believe this helped a lot.
    Married to the love of my life since 2005
    TTC #1 - 
    BFP # 1: 5/2006 - m/c @ 6 weeks (natural) / EDD 1/17/2007
    BFP # 2: 7/2007 - chemical pregnancy / EDD 3/18/2008
    BFP # 3: 6/2013 - 7/9 u/s: No hb, measuring 2 weeks behind. Very high HCG#'s 7/21 u/s: No change, ruled out molar pregnancy. Completed Natural Missed M/C 7/26/2013 / EDD 2/5/2014
    TTA with Diaphragm. 
    CFNBC
    I didn't want to kiss you goodbye, that was the trouble; I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there's a lot of difference. - Ernest Hemingway 

Licensed foster family. No current placements. Open to adoption but that is not our goal and as such we don't have dual foster/adopt home study.
    2012-2013: Former Foster Mommy to 1 bubbly little 8 y.o. girl that has moved onto an amazing adoptive home.

• Options
    this is YOUR pregnancy, and YOUR child, and it's up to YOU to decide when it's time to tell everyone. She can be disappointed.  She'll be fine.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    This actually happened to me my last pregnancy. Although, I told just my sister and she pressured me to no end to tell everyone. I stood firm and waited. However, I found out later that she did blab to my mom and her DH and his family.
    I was pretty disappointed at her breaking out trust.
    I did tell her this time, but I wish I would have waited because I seriously can't trust who she will tell and I don't like that feeling. I also really want to wait because my BIL is getting married and we don't want it out before then in respect to them.
    The next next time only DH will know :

• Options
    This pregnancy is for you and dh to enjoy and to make your own decisions. Your mom will deal with it. :
    October Siggy Challenge "Scared People"
    BFP#1: 10-20-12 Missed M/C: 11-30-12
    BFP#2: 5-26-13 Due Date 2-2-14 
    COUNTDOWN BEGINS
    COMING 2-2-14
    BABY K

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"