June 2013 Moms

sleeping with LO

the only way our girl has been sleeping is if she is in bed with us. she is 10 days old and this isn't a habit we want to keep up. We've tried the arms reach, snuggle nest, PnP, and rock and play. She makes it about an hour stretch...in bed shell make it 3.5 hours...big difference for mommy. We nap her during the day in the rock and play and she again sleeps for hour long stretches, and she sleeps wonderfully in the carseat. 

Anyway is it too early to form a habit? Is it too early to try and break this one? How do we get her used to sleeping in something other then my arms? All my friends keep saying to do what works, but again I don't want her in the bed with us til she is 5 haha 

Re: sleeping with LO

• are you swaddling her at night? Our baby girl sleeps in a pack n' play next to the bed and the woombie swaddle helps her sleep for long stretches. You can also try a white noise machine and see if that helps.
  • she is all swaddled yes, and we have a noise machine going :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • Our baby B has to be double swaddled. That is how the hospital has us swaddle them and he seems to need that extra bit of closeness. I don't know if you are or if it would help, but it is just a thought.
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • PGASTLPGASTL member

With my first LO nothing else worked and I literally had to hold her during sleep for the first 12 weeks. The day she turned 3 months old, she slept in her crib. We tried EVERYTHING. Seriously, EVERYTHING - and nothing would work. :(

I would just keep trying different techniques, you never know when something will work.

Here is what we tried: swaddled, unswaddled, super-swaddled (two blankets), using a heating pad to warm the sheets before we put her down, inclining the mattress, white noise machine, belly sleeping, using a sleep positioner, we also tried the rock n play, swing, car seat, stroller, papsan chair, etc. I am sure there were more methods, like I said nothing worked till she was 12 weeks old and then she just decided she was ready!

GL

• Don't worry about forming bad habits until at least 12 weeks. For now it's just survival.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • imagePGASTL:
    With my first LO nothing else worked and I literally had to hold her during sleep for the first 12 weeks. The day she turned 3 months old, she slept in her crib. We tried EVERYTHING. Seriously, EVERYTHING and nothing would work. : I would just keep trying different techniques, you never know when something will work. Here is what we tried: swaddled, unswaddled, superswaddled two blankets, using a heating pad to warm the sheets before we put her down, inclining the mattress, white noise machine, belly sleeping, using a sleep positioner, we also tried the rock n play, swing, car seat, stroller, papsan chair, etc. I am sure there were more methods, like I said nothing worked till she was 12 weeks old and then she just decided she was ready!GL

This was us to a T with DS1! I finally decided I actually got more sleep by sleeping in the rocker and holding him than I did fighting to get him to sleep anywhere else so I could sleep in bed. Eventually he was able to sleep in his crib and has been a great sleeper since. I know its hard but LO will get there!

• imageDragonfly1226:
    Don't worry about forming bad habits until at least 12 weeks. For now it's just survival.

Exactly! Goodluck!

• I really wouldn't worry about forming bad habits--do what works for you and baby and when it no longer works, do something else. For what it's worth, our daughter slept in our bed until she was 15 months or so and she now sleeps wonderfully in her toddler bed. I wouldn't trade those 15 months of snuggling with her for anything in the world...in 20 years, when I look back on her first year, I won't be saying I wish she had spent more time in her crib alone...

Pregnancy Ticker

• We're in the same boat LO is 2 weeks and will sleep 4 or 5 hours in bed with us but not nearly as long in her bassinet. My pediatrician said to just work with get during the day: eat, change, swaddle, in the bassinet. All day until it clicks. We're about 50 percent there I'd say after a week of that. She's now sleeping fairly well in the bassinet from 9 pm to 3 am or so, then I typically can't get her back in the bassinet so she'll sleep with us until 7. At this point, I'm cutting myself some slack. She's only 2 weeks old. This is pretty early to expect her to be so independent really. But the pediatrician said working on that routine right away results in babies who sleep through the night a lot sooner and avoids Crying It Out when she's 6 months old.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi, Im a mom from the July 2012 board- 1st off congrats on the little one! and I have 2 things to say- 1st is your a new mom so you do what you have to (we have all done things we aren't super proud of- but sometimes you just gotta)

2nd- My LO would wake EVERY HR the 1st 2 weeks of life- he was FF so not sure if that was part of it- but he would seriously wake and need to eat every hr.  I think after those two weeks hed go about every 2 hrs.  so its probably normal for your baby whos not even 2 weeks old yet to not sleep such long hours.  But if you are worried or concerned give your pedi a call.   

• imagehandsonthewheel:
    I really wouldn't worry about forming bad habits--do what works for you and baby and when it no longer works, do something else. For what it's worth, our daughter slept in our bed until she was 15 months or so and she now sleeps wonderfully in her toddler bed. I wouldn't trade those 15 months of snuggling with her for anything in the world...in 20 years, when I look back on her first year, I won't be saying I wish she had spent more time in her crib alone...

Thiiiis. I say as long as it works for both of you, do it.

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"