November 2013 Moms

Placenta Encapsulstion?

Be honest. Who is interested in consuming their placentas after birth? My younger sister is trying to convince me to do it for the hormonal benefits. Then one of my good friends brought it up?! Thoughts? Feelings?
imageimageimageimage

Re: Placenta Encapsulstion?

• I feel like I will not be exploring that option. I think it's worth looking into if you're curious or interested. From what I've heard, it really is good for hormonal restoration... I just don't know that it is something that is for me. I am interested to hear if anyone else around here has actually done it and can tell us if it works!

• I want to do it but I'm too grossed out to actually make the capsules myself and I don't want to pay someone....
  • Loading the player...
  • elrodaelroda member
    I read that it costs about 30 for 100 to 200 pills. Benefits seem amazing...buttttttt it's a placenta!!!!!
    imageimageimageimage

• I just can't wrap my mind around this! I'm the "more natural" type having a doula and midwife who both offered me this option with DD, but I just can't get into it.

I kinda hope there's a mama on this board who can give us the inside scoop on this! It is fascinating but not for me.
  • I am doing it this time around. With DS#1 I had to take a lot of stuff to get and keep my milk production up, and I had a small amount of PPD and serious PPanxiety which actually lead me to leave my job.

I'm just going to think of it as another vitamin not what is inside of it. I totally think the benefits out way any of the ick factor. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ::Shrug:: There's no data either way whether there's a benefit or not. If you have $200+ to drop on a maybe, then whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I'll trust medications with clinical trials and proven track records, plus therapy, if I start to have issues with PPD/PPA. 

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Too gross for me. I laugh at the mammal comment bc I've seen mammals eat their poop, but that too doesn't make it acceptable! Lol
    I get it, but I just can't get passed it!
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    I never knew anything about this. Wow.
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    Now I'm looking it up. This line disgusted me lol

Some women have cooked the placenta in a stew, mixed it into a smoothie, or even taken it raw to tap into its powerful effects.

One site even has pics. Wow
  • imageCoIvie:
    Now I'm looking it up. This line disgusted me lol Some women have cooked the placenta in a stew, mixed it into a smoothie, or even taken it raw to tap into its powerful effects. One site even has pics. Wow

I read a blog where someone made placenta tacos and shared them with two other women. It made me gag a little. (Aaand I just went and looked up that blog post again. It still makes me gag.)

I also have a friend whose bio professor kept all his kids placentas in jars. 

I thought I wouldn't want to even see the placenta when DS was born because I was grossed out by the idea, but I ended up asking to see it. It's kind of cool that it was what connected us and how I nourished him for nine months. But it is an organ, and organs, however awesome they are, can be a little gross to those of us who are squeamish, lol.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    imageTobieRose:

imageCoIvie:
    Now I'm looking it up. This line disgusted me lol

Some women have cooked the placenta in a stew, mixed it into a smoothie, or even taken it raw to tap into its powerful effects.

One site even has pics. Wow

I read a blog where someone made placenta tacos and shared them with two other women. It made me gag a little. (Aaand I just went and looked up that blog post again. It still makes me gag.)

I thought I wouldn't want to even see the placenta when DS was born because I was grossed out by the idea, but I ended up asking to see it. It's kind of cool that it was what connected us and how I nourished him for nine months. But it is an organ, and organs, however awesome they are, can be a little gross to those of us who are squeamish, lol.

WOW!! She shared it!?!? Just wow. Lol
  • This was recently discussed at my group dr visit,  one mama there had done it with her DD and really thought it was beneficial..everyone else was grossed out by the idea.   I can't see myself doing it but I'm sorta fascinated too..really don't know enough about it
  • Exactly!! I can barely stomach a prenatal vitamin god forbid my own placenta!! More power to you ladies who do it! I hope it works out well for you!
  • The one article I read about it was not in favor of it til more research is done.  I think it had to do with one of the jobs of the placenta being to filter out harmful stuff so it might contain toxins? Don't quote me on that.  It was something along the lines of it keeping harmful stuff from your baby and you don't want to then ingest those things.

I'd like to note that there is no way I'd want to even see the placenta so it's mind boggling to me that people do this. 

• I could perhaps get over the ick factor if I were convinced of the benefits, but as PPs said any claims of it helping with milk production or preventing PPD are anecdotal.

Not something I plan on doing.

• I am actually considering this. I just have to weigh the overall benefits
    versus the gross factor.
  • I am doing it this time. My acu has a woman in her office who is certified to do this. She will make the pills in my house.

I had some bad PP OCD and anxiety while weaning last time. And I am I am willing to try this to see of it helps. I was told that I can save some of the pills for later during weaning.

I have done a lot of TCM herbs and I don't really think a placenta pill would be much different. I would not eat it in a lasagna or whatever though. That is gross to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wayyy too gross to me, sorry!
  • imageCoIvie:
    imageTobieRose:

imageCoIvie:
    Now I'm looking it up. This line disgusted me lol Some women have cooked the placenta in a stew, mixed it into a smoothie, or even taken it raw to tap into its powerful effects. One site even has pics. Wow

WOW!! She shared it!?!? Just wow. Lol

I know! I can imagine getting over the ick factor to take the capsules if I struggled with intense PPD. But sharing someone *else's* placenta?? I can't even go there in my head!  

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • I plan to do it.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• elrodaelroda member
    imagedollphnfreek10:
    Nope! nbsp;I don't even wanna see that thing! nbsp;Much less eat it.

Hahaha! This is what I feel like when I hear about placenta soups, smoothies, and the like. So strange to me!
    imageimageimageimage

• I plan on doing it. I have a tendency towards depression and I think my milk supply may need a boost with having twins. Going to have it encapsulated by a certified woman who will have the hospital staff bag them up so I don't have to see them. I am just taking the pills and not serving them up. As an older mom, I also read that the leftover pills will benefit me when menopause comes. You can store them in the freezer.

Interestingly, I have to get a court order to get my placentas released by the hospital since it is considered medical waste.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elrodaelroda member
    imagesrdaniel:
    I am doing it this time around. With DS1 I had to take a lot of stuff to get and keep my milk production up, and I had a small amount of PPD and serious PPanxiety which actually lead me to leave my job.I'm just going to think of it as another vitamin not what is inside of it. I totally think the benefits out way any of the ick factor.nbsp;

I want to hear all about it!
    imageimageimageimage

• elrodaelroda member
    image3Dewdrops:
    The one article I read about it was not in favor of it til more research is done. nbsp;I think it had to do with one of the jobs of the placenta being to filter out harmful stuff so it might contain toxins? Don't quote me on that. nbsp;It was something along the lines of it keeping harmful stuff from your baby and you don't want to then ingest those things.I'd like to note that there is no way I'd want to even see the placenta so it's mind boggling to me that people do this.nbsp;

I read one article that said some places will not make capsules for you if you had a water birth because of possible contaminants. And then there are some who STILL WILL DO IT! Blehhh!
    imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"