May 2013 Moms

Letting them rip!

My son goes down fine at night (anywhere between 8:30 and 9:30) after I feed and swaddle him.  Then he sleeps about 3-4 hours, wakes to feed and goes back down after being swaddled again pretty easily.  The problem is the next feeding.  He wakes up again after about 3 hours (usually anywhere between 3 and 4:30) and it seems that he has a hard time nursing. He grunts and pulls off, which for him usually indicates gas.  He also starts letting the gas rip out of him while he is grunting and writhing.  I feel like he doesn't eat enough, but won't nurse.  I always feel this is an unsuccessful feeding.  When he won't nurse anymore, swaddle him up and put him back down, but he never really goes back to bed. At this point he is only content when I un-swaddle him and put him in bed with me, which means I can't go back to sleep because I am uncomfortable with him being in bed with me. 

Anyone else have a LO that is super gassy after being swaddled up at night? I mean it makes sense to me.  I am wondering if I should switch to the sleep blankets to give him some more freedom, but he definitely sleeps better swaddled.  

Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Letting them rip!

• kmcd23kmcd23 member

Is it possible he's burping less on his own after the 1st feeding because he's sleeping, creating more belly gas by the 2nd feeding?

My LO is much harder to burp at night because he's a limp noodle, and it's harder to get all the passageways lined up to let out the gas. Then he's gassier early morning.  I'm working on fixing this, because I hate to see him so uncomfortable. :(

• My LO is gassy all the time even if she burps during and after feedings. She passes a lot of gas and you can see that it hurts her. I tried swaddling her in the beginning but when we noticed she was getting gassy it did not work. We have to just let her lay there in her footed onesie and she will go back to bed. I would say maybe try and get a few more burps if not try not swaddling and just the footed onesie.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is super gassy after swaddle. He grunts and grunts and sometimes gets the toots out but mostly he lets them rip when i unswaddle.
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My guy does this too. And I never thought about it. It may be the swaddle or the ineffective nighttime burping. My guy doesn't get fussy though. He just farts and will go back to sleep. So I hadn't worried about it. Interesting though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNJAZgirl:
    My guy does this too. And I never thought about it. It may be the swaddle or the ineffective nighttime burping. My guy doesn't get fussy though. He just farts and will go back to sleep. So I hadn't worried about it. Interesting though.

Hahaha! He just farts and goes back to sleep...just like a man!
  • imageLaineyPaney:
    imageNJAZgirl:
    My guy does this too. And I never thought about it. It may be the swaddle or the ineffective nighttime burping. My guy doesn't get fussy though. He just farts and will go back to sleep. So I hadn't worried about it. Interesting though.

My little guy is such a man already. Including farting, then smiling, all while still asleep!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imageNJAZgirl:
    imageLaineyPaney:
    imageNJAZgirl:

My little guy is such a man already. Including farting, then smiling, all while still asleep!!

I love those! Usually, G gets fussy until he lets about 10 in a row go, but sometimes, he just farts, smiles, sleeps, and I love it!
  • You can work some those farts out with a little colic massage, especially drawing their knees up to their chest for several seconds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"