November 2013 Moms

Nursery/Baby shower

I know everyone does things differently, but I'm a FTM and wondering when a 'good' time to start shopping for cribs/nursery furniture is. We haven't bought anything for baby girl yet PgAL brain but would like to start soon as I'm 21w now. Have any of you FTMs started a nursery and purchased clothes etc.?

Also, a friend is throwing us a baby shower but I don't know when is a good time to have that. I know some moms do it in their second tri and others during their third tri. Anyone already picked a day for their baby shower? If so what week will you be in at that time?

Re: Nursery/Baby shower

• As a FTM: this is my plan, I'm not sure its the best.

As for buying stuff, we're not buying anything, unless we find a really good sale, until after my showers. At least I can use the 10 percent off coupon.

As for showers, my family is hosting one when I'll be only 24 weeks, but I'm traveling 12 hours each way to go to that one. It works better for them to do it early too. As for friends, I have some friends who have mentioned having one, but no one has set a date yet. I had one friend who had hers at 37 weeks. I just hope mine is before that, but unless my friends ask, I'm leaving it entirely up to them.
  • My nursery has been "done" (painted, furniture put together, though I still need to make curtains and hang artwork) since Memorial Day weekend when I was about 15-16 weeks. We did it really early because it was a 3-day weekend when MIL/FIL could and help me/DH carry everything. Our house is 3 stories plus no central air, so getting all the big stuff done before summertime heat struck was pretty important. It was also a slight relief to know that once our showers happened, I had places ready to store all the stuff we'd be bringing home.

My showers are/were scheduled for 24 weeks and 27 weeks. We had to cancel the earlier shower due to my bedrest/travel restrictions (it was supposed to have been in NC and I live in IL). The 27 week one also is fairly early but my shower hostess is orthodox Jewish and doing it any later would have put her in the middle of all the September/October religious holidays and it wouldn't have worked out for her.

Your mileage may vary. Do what works for you and your hostesses.

ETA: Be aware, too, that some furniture companies can take up to 16 weeks to get your crib and other furniture delivered to your house, so you really should at least start looking now to get an idea of what you want and if there will be any backorders or delays in getting it all delivered.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm due nov 18 and my shower is sept 14. I'm single so I want to make sure I have time to wash and set everything up before baby's arrival. I wanted a month buffer in case I'm a beached whale or baby comes early.

I also bought my crib and dresser already. I knew what I wanted and looked on craigslistvahd got them both for 150. However I have seen these items on lots if registries so you can certainly register for them and buy them after the shower if you don't get them.

Congrats on 21 weeks!

• I don't know much about baby showers myself but I was thinking about trying to have mine around holloween. It's a month before I'm due but I'd love to have some holloween influence with the theme of the shower.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my first and I am almost 21 weeks. I bought my crib today from Costco. It's a nice feeling to get the ball rolling. I'm getting hand me downs from a lot of friends which is awesome. My shower will be in September, not sure of the date yet. Good luck with all the decisions, it's quite overwhelming isn't it?
  • Im 21 weeks and Our nursery has been repainted, new carpet and trim, all furniture is put together and all my hand me down clothes and blankets are washed and put away. We're team green so I bought two 3 laundry baskets. Put gender nuetral stuff in the closet and dresser. And all the boy in one basket and girl in the other. When baby is born we'll just put the unneeded gender clothes in storage containers and store them away for next baby. I still have to get curtains. I'm cheap and can't find ones I like on sale, dang it. And our theme is giraffes. My friend is a photographer and as a gift to me she's gonna go to the zoo and take some pictures of the giraffes and have them blown up. And my mom has offered to have them framed. I'm so excited for that!!!

We got our dresser, crib and changing table from jcpenny.com. We got all three pieces for 650.00 with free delivery! And they are beautiful! The changing table is a low dresser so when it's no longer needed ill just take off the pad and it can be a dresser.

I have a lot done because I've been unemployed and so has my mom. So we did a lot quickly.
  • My PgAL brain won't let me do anything until our AS, which is at 20 weeks. DH is on vacation that week, so we plan to get a lot done that week because our scan is on Monday, July 9.
  • I've got my baby shower planned when I'll be 21 weeks.

I can't help but to buy clothes!! How can you help yourself! Lol it's the fun part!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are doing minor renovations to the house throughout July, but I plan to have the room painted by the end of the month. We have only purchased a changing table at a garage sale, cloth diapers and 6 outfits. We are slowly getting everything squared away.
    My shower will be early September.

• Wow... Well you guys have me feeling better. Everyone's telling me its too early to be getting ready for the baby but I don't want to stress at the end. I am a planner! I am 21 weeks, have a crib picked out but not purchased, and have just been kind of working on getting the house ready for baby. My friends and family are nuts.. You guys are spot on. I think it's okay for me to be getting things done!
  • We started buying furniture for the nursery as soon as I knew what I wanted, mainly because I knew no one was going to buy it for us, and we had plenty of other stuff we needed for others to buy as gifts. Clothes, I slowly started buying stuff once we knew what gender the baby was.

As for showers it's really what works best with you. I had mine last time around 35 weeks. That way I had time to get everything situated and buy other necessities that I did not receive as a gift. But I know people that have had them very early so certain people could attend. It really just depends on you and your schedule.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • NL105NL105 member
    Baby dresser was bought and assembled last weekend. Taping off the walls tmrw, painting next weekend. Then we'll start buying the crib, decorating, etc. My mom and I hit up a huge mom to mom sale when i was 19 weeks and then several garage sales since then, and baby girl is all set with clothes until she's 9 months. DH and i have bought gender neutral items like bouncer, toys, etc. and received hand me downs also. I'm due November 1 and my mom is throwing my shower on August 17... she wanted to do it before she went back to work in the fall. Feels early but it doesn't really matter to me. Ill be 29 weeks.
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    I turned 19 weeks today. I was at the mall and Sears was having a VERY good sale so I couldn't help but grab a couple outfits for the princess.

I know what carseat/stroller, high chair and bouncers and swing I want. I'm going to order those one piece at a time

My mom found a barely used bassinet at a garage sale and my boss is giving me a crib.

As far as the baby shower, my mom is supposed to be planning it. But nothing has been started, I'm about to give her an extra push because we need to pick a place to have it and all of that. Due November 23 so I want to have it maybe a month before
  • I'm 21 weeks. I just ordered the furniture yesterday. It's a little earlier than I would have liked (gun shy due to previous miscarriage). However, I ordered from restoration hardware baby and I've read horror stories about delays in their delivery. I wanted to ensure plenty of time for delivery and also take advantage of their 4th of July sale. My MIL is paying for the crib so I will probabtly bring a picture to the shower to pass around.   I'm due nov 7. My shower is mid sept, just in case of bed rest or early delivery. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• I'm 20 weeks and have just finally painted our nursery today well dh did just waiting to put second coat tomorrow I have a crib waiting to be put up when paint is good and dry, I also have her swing already and a rock n play, a boppy pillow and lots of clothes my sister gave me from her 2 yr old. This is my second child but my husbands first so his fam wants to do a baby shower for us, which will be either late September or early October. My first child is a boy who is seven so i really don't have any baby stuff left from him and I'm having a girl this time anyway
  • I say research cribs and what not now.  Sometimes it takes awhile for them to come in so be prepared for that.  

As for the baby shower, we had mine at 33 weeks and I delivered 2 weeks later.  It was perfect timing so I had enough time to go out and buy everything I still needed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FTM here. Our furniture took all of 6 or 7 weeks to come in so I would definitely get those items ordered if you haven't or as soon as you feel safe to do so.

We have the crib, dresser, and glider together and ready to go. My showers are in Sept or early Oct and we will finish picking up any essentials after that.

ETA I would love to do my showers in Aug because Sept and Oct weekends get so busy for everyone, but I really can't take a weekend off from studying for my CPA exam 8/31.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"