Multiples

Pop and Water

I was wondering how you guys feel about drinking pop during pregnancy? Avoid it all together? Or moderation? Do you think that occasional drinking of pop can have long term effects on the baby? Also does anybody really drink the amount of water recommended for their weight? What about flavored water is that just as good?

Re: Pop and Water

• I drank one soda almost everyday and sometimes two. I did drink the recommended amount of water daily. In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with.

ETA The soda I drank was caffeine free.
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • I cut out all caffeine and am not a big soda drinker.  Flavored water is fine.  It's not about getting away with anything, it's about staying healthy and hydrated.  I try to drink 60-90oz of water/day.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't drink soda to begin with but I don't think it will hurt to have it in moderation. If it was me, I would be careful about the amount of caffeine and also go with regular instead of diet to avoid the asparthame. I am, however, a huge water drinker. During my pregnancy I drank about 128oz a day. Now that I am nursing twins I drink even more. GL!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • I was addicted to coke before pregnancy but cut back when I found out I was pregnant. Now I drink one aist everyday to keep my headaches at bay. I've never been a big water drinker, but crave it now with this hot weather and humidity. I try to drink close to 100oz a day.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I drank some Coke during pregnancy, especially early on as it seemed to help my nausea. But I was very careful to stay under my caffeine limit and still drank a lot of water.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've heard that one caffeinated drink a day is okay, but I wasn't a big soda drinker and I didn't do it. The issue with flavored water would be artificial sweeteners, but if you were careful, you should be okay there. I drank 100oz of water per day, but I craved it and didn't struggle with that goal. If you'd like, you can make pitchers of water with fruit slices. That's what I did with lemons, limes, and oranges. Great for morning sickness!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• I drink a lot of water throughout the day but I do have maybe one pop a day. I didn't cut out my morning coffee either, there is no way I'd be able to function!
  • SV917SV917 member
    With all the crap that's in it, drinking soda at any time is not good for you, but having an occasional coke while pregnant is not going to harm the babies. I don't drink it because I don't particularly care for soda; coffee is my vice. I drink at least 100 oz of water a day. My goal is a gallon of water a day, but I don't always make it. I think naturally flavored water (adding fruit slices or cucumber) is just as good, but I'd stay away from artificial sweeteners. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I loved soda pre pregnancy and I'd totally drink it in moderation (caffeine free) during pregnancy if I could stand it. Same goes for flavored water drinks like Sobe.

I've never tracked my fluid intake. 

Lilypie - (4vrz)

• I drank maybe 1 or 2 sodas per week. I prefer coke zero, so that's what it was. I drank flavored fizzy water that had no artificial colors or flavors. I tried to drink as much water as possible but w reflux it was hard.

I drank ice tea like it was going out of style. I didnt pay attention to caffeine intake, but I did stop drinking coffee daily bc my reflux couldn't handle it.

• I gave up all soda and caffeine while going through fertility treatments. It wasn't until my third tri that I would have a root beer every now and then as a treat. No artificial sweeteners either.

Now I am back to drinking my iced teas and will have a decaf coffee in the morning since I'm not breast feeding.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• I have tried to drink mostly water or real fruit juice.  Every now and then though I want a soda--caffeine free.  Usually I try to get ginger ale if I get anything carbonated.  This has honestly been the most I have drank soda even before being pregnant.  I guess its my mini craving.
  • Maybe I'll invest in a big water bottle and refill it to make sure I get enough. I like water but sometimes I want something with flavor.
  • I think I am the UO here. I drink one to two cans of soda per day maybe four times a week, a lot of water (sometimes I do not hit the recommended amount per day but I come close), and at least four to five glasses of milk per day.

I did this with both of my previous pregnancies and they are fine. I would never suggest that it is ok to only drink soda and no water and things will be fine. I personally give into my cravings and it will also depend on what I am eating when I grab one.

• I love my pop. I added extra water since caffeine can dehydrate you 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • I think a soft drink here and there will harm your baby.. On the other hand alcohol and drugs will so as long as your still getting your water fill a little treat with a soft drink won't hurt you!
  • imagepinkmickey24:
    I drank one soda almost everyday and sometimes two. I did drink the recommended amount of water daily. In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with.

ETA The soda I drank was caffeine free.

Same here!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"