North Carolina Babies

Looking at NC

Hello NC mamas,

DH and I are thinking about moving and we are thinking about NC. It's hard to decide on the specific area when you don't know anyone to directly ask questions so I was wondering if I can get some insight from you.

We are looking in particular for a liberal crunchy area. You know, farmers markets (access to local pastured animal products and organic produce on a regular basis) co-ops, cloth diaper stores, crunchy mamas groups, young families, whole foods or trader joe's near by...do I ask for too much?

And if possible, if you have a suggestion for an area I wouldn't mind if you had an insight into how expensive or reasonable house prices are as well!

Thank you so much in advance! 

Re: Looking at NC

• From my time spent here in Wake County NC I would say perhaps the Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Plenty of stores around. Plus if you have other needs or find other stores to your liking its not really a bad drive from Raleigh the capital to Cary or Apex. This is all IMO of course. Charlotte I hear may have more but I would not know. 
  • Carrboro is the area you're looking for :
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I live in Wilmimgton and there are really awesome ways to get fresh food. There are delivery services from local farms with fresh organic foods. There is a whole foods, fresh market and trader joes. Also different farmers markets downtown and at different beaches. 

There are lots of young families here and home prices vary on the areas you live...

if you decide to move here feel free to message me and I can give you more details if you need! Good luck!! 

• I've lived in NC my whole life and that nails Raleigh, Cary Chapel Hill to the point!
    I live in a little town called Willow Spring just outside of FuquayVarina. I am about 30 minutes from Raleigh.

As far as housing look into Upright Builders and Taylor Custom Homes! Great builders! They build in those areas!
    Good luck!
  • Thanks, ladies! All your suggestions are super helpful! Smile
  • I think anything in or around Raleigh is a good bet. I just moved to Raleigh in October and had a 6 week old at the time. I live near Cary which is a good area for kids and young families and is cheaper than Raleigh. There are greenway paths for walking which I love with my son and the state farmers market is huge, open year round, and located in Raleigh (5 min from my house). As for cloth diapering I found a store called Sweetbottoms baby that is amazing (they have an online store if you want to check it out). Also there are tons of amazing consignment sales that pop all over the area that are great for baby and kid gear! I have not spent more that $2 on any piece of clothing for my son yet and he is 8 months old. Feel free to contact me if you need help finding a good place to look for a place to live, I had a hard time finding something because I didn't know the area well enough. Good luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. My sister was a vegan for a long time and she always called Chapel Hill "God's Country." So I can imagine that is exactly what you are looking for.
    Expecting our first little one in November! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also agree that the raleigh cary area would be perfect, and so would asheville. Raleigh is cheaper to live in and many more jobs than asheville. But it is super duper hot here in the summers. Asheville is so beautiful, cool, mountainous, but not many jobs and housing is expensive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrschristinalou:
    Carrboro is the area you're looking for :

Yep

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I know all the Asheville has vegan places to eat, and my mom received some cancer treatments through a holisitic doc near there
  • Hi!

I second (or third) the Carborro suggestion.  Hillsborough is also another great choice in the Orange County area.  (Both Carborro and Hillsborough are in Orange County - not far from Chapel Hill, Durham and RTP.)  We live in the Hillsborough area and love it - there's a very artsy downtown, lots of local farms and a good mix of people (liberals, conservatives, farmers, yuppies - but all generally seem to be very supportive of the locavore movement, environment, art, etc)  Carborro which is adjacent to Chapel Hill may be a slightly younger and a slightly crunchier population.  

Asheville is would also perfectly fit your criteria, as another person pointed out.  

Best way to figure it out, come down for a visit!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageSteph&Harry08:

Hello NC mamas,

DH and I are thinking about moving and we are thinking about NC. It's hard to decide on the specific area when you don't know anyone to directly ask questions so I was wondering if I can get some insight from you.

We are looking in particular for a liberal crunchy area. You know, farmers markets (access to local pastured animal products and organic produce on a regular basis) co-ops, cloth diaper stores, crunchy mamas groups, young families, whole foods or trader joe's near by...do I ask for too much?

And if possible, if you have a suggestion for an area I wouldn't mind if you had an insight into how expensive or reasonable house prices are as well!

Thank you so much in advance! 

winston salem is also a good place. theres a whole foods and trader joes and fresh market and there's a lot of other organic places here too. (: 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"