Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

2 Ectopics...Crazy to try again naturally?

Hello all,

This is my first ever post on here but after recent events I thought I'd give it a shot. My husband and I started TTC this past Jan and found out we were pregnant in Feb. We were so shocked that it happened so fast.  I started spotting bright red a couple days after we found out so I went to get checked out. They saw something questionable in my sonogram (and nothing in the uterus) but wanted quantitative labs to verify. Long story short, I had an ectopic, was given methotrexate right away but my tube ruptured and I had to have it removed.

In May we started trying again, thinking it would take longer with just one tube. Well, we got pregnant right away! Because of my history they wanted to check me out right away. Everything seemed fine (no pain, bleeding) until the sonogram showed something questionable under my right ovary. They want my quants to back it up and they came back showing it was ectopic. Again. I was given the injection right away and luckily was able to spare my remaining tube. Currently my hcg levels are at 6 so they want one more week of labs showing its down to zero. 

At this point we really can't do too much besides wait. Because of travel plans, I won't see my doctor for another month to talk about the next steps.  I'm assuming she will want to do an HSG to check my remaining tube. So I guess my question is, if the tube appears normal after the test, are we crazy to try again naturally?  Our only alternative at this point is IVF and I know that will take years of saving up for. But on the other hand, I may be putting my physical (not to mention emotional) health at risk. 

Anyone have a similar experience or any advice?  

Re: 2 Ectopics...Crazy to try again naturally?

• We have had one previous miscarriage. This time we had an ectopic. We are still in the process of waiting to see if the med works. My doctor has already said he wants to check the tube/s. We've discussed IVF with our dr. He told us IVF is affordable and that some insurance covers some of the costs. So check on that and maybe payment plans before you get too down.

I hope your tube is ok, though!!
  • I'm sorry for your losses. I just want to say that IVF doesn't mean you won't have an ectopic. I did my first IVF cycle in April and had an ectopic pregnancy.
    I would discuss with your doctor thoroughly. You were able to get pregnant with one tube which is great.
    Also if you pursue infertility treatments, I recommend seeing a reproductive endocrinology rather than your OB.
    Good luck to you.
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry for your losses! 

I have no experience with ectopic pregnancy but I do have experience with IVF.

Did they tell you that was an option?  Sadly, you can still have an ectopic pregnancy as the result of IVF.  Yes, they do transfer the embryos into your uterus, but they cannot control if or where they implant. 

I would talk to your doctor.  Personally I would probably give it another shot naturally since it seems that getting pregnant is pretty easy for you.  IVF/ICSI can be a good alternative for folks with miscarriage because of genetic issues (they do PGD) and for people with tubal issues (blocked tubes where conception is impossible/difficult).  But for ectopics I would be wary to spend that kind of money and put your body through that.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagecarolinamommy2014:
    We have had one previous miscarriage. This time we had an ectopic. We are still in the process of waiting to see if the med works. My doctor has already said he wants to check the tube/s. We've discussed IVF with our dr. He told us IVF is affordable and that some insurance covers some of the costs. So check on that and maybe payment plans before you get too down. I hope your tube is ok, though!!

Some states mandate infertility coverage.  If you are lucky enough to be in one of those states, IVF can be affordable.  However, the average IVF cycle is about $15,000 and the vast majority of couples are out of pocket.  $15,000 for something that might not work is not "affordable" IMO.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:
    Some states mandate infertility coverage.nbsp; If you are lucky enough to be in one of those states, IVF can be affordable.nbsp; However, the average IVF cycle is about 15,000 and the vast majority of couples are out of pocket.nbsp; 15,000 for something that might not work is not "affordable" IMO.nbsp;

I guess maybe we are one of those states. I know when my dr brought it up that was my first question but he said "it's affordable" and something about the fact that insurance usually covers part of it. A lady in my office who had several MCs said when she checked our insurance does cover it.. Not sure if we just have good insurance or if its statewide though? It's a scary thought even outside of that so hopefully that won't be an issue for any of us.
  • Thanks everyone. Unfortunately yes, I have been told that IVF does not guarantee I won't have another ectopic. But if IVF isn't an option, I'm not sure what is. I'll need to do a little more research but it looks like I may be in a state that mandates coverage for IVF. I'm curious to see what that actually means and what our insurance company has to say. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I just want to be prepared if trying again the old fashioned way isn't an option for us. I guess we'll see in a couple months. Thanks for your support :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"