Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Air travel questions

I haven't flown with a toddler in years, so I have some questions. I'm planning on bringing my baby carrier for ease in getting on and off the plane. Am I allowed to wear him when I go through security? I read that I can carry him through the metal detector, but not sure if the carrier will be an issue. I'm trying to think of ways to expedite the whole process. We will have our stroller, but that will have to go through the x-ray machine.

What exactly is allowed food-wise? I checked our airline's and TSA's websites and I'm a little unclear on what is allowed/not allowed. It talked more about liquids, but not that much about foods. Can I bring plenty of snacks from home? I know that whatever we buy beyond security is allowed. I just want to be prepared in case we get stuck for a while and I'm not sure that stuff we can buy will be stuff my son will eat (traveling at lunch time, too). I've heard a lot of stories recently about being stuck ON the airplane near the runway for hours.

Thanks!

Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: Air travel questions

• Options

Even without a child, food from inside the US to inside the US isn't restricted as long as it is within your carry-on size allotment. It is only liquids that they restrict. They say a 'reasonable' amount of formula/BM/milk but I take an entire 30z camping thermos of milk with out any issues. Sometimes they Ph test it and other times they don't. Just be prepared for an extra 30+ minutes some times depending upon the airport/time of day. I've had the exact same item list with me and have taken 15 minutes at security and have also taken 1hr.... 

I hate carrying the kid through the airport because between LO and the bags it gets heavy. I push her in the stroller or car seat and load all the bags up around her. Last time we flew she was in a convertible seat so I just used the LATCH connectors to anchor it to a $20 luggage cart and i checked her stroller. Before that LO was still in her infant carrier and I locked the carrier into the stroller and pushed all of it. It was nice having my hands free in the bathroom and other places. 

• Options
    Not sure about the carrier but they hand check strollers and car seats. You definitely hold him thru the xray.
    I brought snacks including puree pouches and they let them through. I also brought an empty sippy and bought water or milk after security.
    I found Houston hobby to be very helpful and frienfly when i flew slone eith lo all around. Kind of wish it was my home airport
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"