Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Still NOT interested...

DD is almost 7 months old and still totally uninterested in ingesting anything except for milk from a bottle/mom. We have even tried milk on a spoon before a meal so we know she's hungry and will "like" the taste of what we're giving her. We never see an open mouth of wanting to eat, and nothing we've tried gets anything but a gross face. She's doing the gagging noise as well(which isn't too concerning at this point).

Thoughts? Is she getting old enough that we need to start really pushing it? All the other babies around us are happily eating what's in front of them...and some started early (maybe too early..) too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

Re: Still NOT interested...

• LimaDLimaD member
    No advice, but just wanted to let you know I could've written this word for word!  DD turns away from the spoon and messes up her face like it looks,smells,tastes GROSS. lol  she does seem to have a stubborn personality so idk how long this will go on :/
  • Have you tried letting her self feed and doing finger foods? Many babies do not like being fed. Try giving her pieces of soft fruits and veggies (french fry size if she doesn't have a pincer grip). It may be what she needs to start solids. Also, there is no harm only having BM for a while longer.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Does your DD seem interested in what YOU are eating?  What does she do during YOUR mealtime?

For 2 weeks before we started DS on solids, we would put him in the high chair during our mealtimes, so he could watch what we were doing.  At first he showed no interest (we let him play with his toys), but gradually he paid more and more interest in us.

Also, I echo what PP said - maybe your DD isn't interested in being spoon-fed and/or purees.  DS was happily eating my homemade purees for 2 months, then he started clamping his mouth shut & turning his head away from me when I went near him with a spoon.  I eventually gave up and we switched to BLW.  Before we switched, meal time was almost like a battle, with us "fighting" with DS to get him open his mouth as well as holding his hands down (he wanted to grab the spoon).  AFter we switched to BLW, he's happy as a clam feeding himself. I'm happy too because I finally can eat my dinner in peace before it gets all cold b/c I no longer have to spoon-feed DS. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I purposely only EBF my kids until around 8-9 months old (I have 3 kids; the youngest is 6 months old).  When they were around 8-9 months old I would give them whatever we were eating (I did not do baby food).  My 2nd DC was 9 months old with no teeth and eating steak.  So my advice, don't worry about it.  Age isn't a factor on when they are ready for food- swallowing and chewing are.  Wait until your baby is ready.
  • So, I'm totally interested in self feeding (pseudo/bastardized BLW)...but I'm just nervous about it. What foods did you start with? Cut up sweet potatoes/avocado? Is the french fry size so it's big enough not to be choked upon? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary
  • Nope. Don't worry. DD1 barely ate anything until closer to a year. Never purees. DD2 is almost 8 months and just now starting to consume. I did/do BLW with both girls. I think ppl put too much emphasis on solids. BM is all they need now. Just keep offering tastes, etc. But he will get it soon enough.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagersolsem:
    So, I'm totally interested in self feeding (pseudo/bastardized BLW)...but I'm just nervous about it. What foods did you start with? Cut up sweet potatoes/avocado? Is the french fry size so it's big enough not to be choked upon? 

I'd start with anything soft - favorites in our house are very ripe fruit.  Most foods we do "pinkie" size.  DS loves strips of mango, peach slices, bananas (halved lengthwise).  Avocado will work as well.  Dinner-type foods DS favs are roasted sweet potato wedges, roasted butternut squash.  He also LOVES any sort of noodles (spaghetti, soba noodles), as well as pasta like rotini.

Just so you are prepared, your DD will gag for the first few times.  DS gagged at every meal for like a week.  It's not choking - babies' gag reflex is located near the front of the mouth, far away from their throats.  As they grow older, the gag reflex moves back towards the throat.  So gagging is a GOOD thing - that's how they learn how to move foods around in their mouth, and learn how big a piece they can safely swallow.  As long as the baby can make noise, he/she is not choking.  Choking hazards are foods like whole grapes, hotdogs, and whole nuts. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • We are in the same boat OP, baby will turn 7 months next week and does not want to eat anything... we tried rice cereal around 5 months and purees around 6 months. My older two were eating rice cereal at 4 months and purees at 5 months, puffs & regular food around 6 months. I was amazed that this guy didn't gobble the food up because he is bigger.  But he seems to be satisfied with formula(supplementing) & breastmilk.

This week we decided to try those baby MumMum things. He likes to hold them and play with them and even ate about 1/2 of one yesterday.  Today he ate almost 2 whole ones. They dissolve faster than puffs, but they are solid enough for him to learn how to swallow.  If he keeps eating them in the next 2 days or so, we are going to skip purees and go to BLW.  I didn't know much about it, but it seems easier all around then baby food stages. GL

• Thanks for all the great insight! We will keep offering but not get too worried. BLW sounds like a good idea! 

• Let her have a soft tip spoon to play with and chew on.
  • imagepb_bride:

imagersolsem:
    So, I'm totally interested in self feeding (pseudo/bastardized BLW)...but I'm just nervous about it. What foods did you start with? Cut up sweet potatoes/avocado? Is the french fry size so it's big enough not to be choked upon? 

I'd start with anything soft - favorites in our house are very ripe fruit.  Most foods we do "pinkie" size.  DS loves strips of mango, peach slices, bananas (halved lengthwise).  Avocado will work as well.  Dinner-type foods DS favs are roasted sweet potato wedges, roasted butternut squash.  He also LOVES any sort of noodles (spaghetti, soba noodles), as well as pasta like rotini.

Just so you are prepared, your DD will gag for the first few times.  DS gagged at every meal for like a week.  It's not choking - babies' gag reflex is located near the front of the mouth, far away from their throats.  As they grow older, the gag reflex moves back towards the throat.  So gagging is a GOOD thing - that's how they learn how to move foods around in their mouth, and learn how big a piece they can safely swallow.  As long as the baby can make noise, he/she is not choking.  Choking hazards are foods like whole grapes, hotdogs, and whole nuts. 

I didn't know that. Interesting! 

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • In addition to the above suggestions I found that my lil one was more interested in the cereals if I mixed them with breast milk not water.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"