Trouble TTC

New and questions

Hello Ladies,

I am new to the board and have some questions that maybe you can answer.

Backstory; was on BC for 3 years and got pregnant with the first child after trying for 6 months. The only problem with that pregnancy was low progesterone levels. Now we are trying for #2 for almost a year, I stopped the BC pill and got only one period back in January. Saw my doctor who prescribed me Provera to start my period but suggested to get an u/s done to make sure that nothing else going on there. I traveled out of the country right after the appointment and decided to get an u/s done abroad and saw a doctor abroad. That doctor told me that I have PCOS and that in order for me to get pregnant I need to take Clomid. She didn't suggest doing any testing before taking Clomid, which I am not sure about.

Long story short I am back to US and will see my doctor in the week to discuss all of this. But trying to do my research so I know what to ask her. My research is saying that normally you get different tests done like they check the tubes, and DH also needs to get some tests done, is that normal? Or since I already have a kid some of them are needed?

Sorry to ask stupid questions but I cannot find the info online and will appreciate any help 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New and questions

• You are right all those test should be done before taking clomid - bloodwork, semen analysis, HSG, etc. Even if you have children, your body can change. I don't have experience with clomid, but if you read a couple of the boards, you'll learn more about the proper monitoring that should go along with it. Sounds like you'll be seeing an RE?  Most OBs don't tend to do the proper monitoring & testing.  Good Luck! 

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Welcome. Probably the most important thing to do is ask for a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) and let that person order testing and medications. Good luck!
    Me- 35 Dx endo; DH- 33 no probs.
    BFP#1 (totally a wonderful surprise)- 3/10/11. IUFD 6/25/11. 
    TTC since 8/2011.
    BFP#2- 11/1/11. EDD 7/6/12. Blighted ovum 12/1/11.

New OBGYN 12/2012- CD3 labs, SA, HSG normal. 
    First RE appt 1/16/2013. Unexplained infertility. Lap planned. 

12/2012- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN 
    1/2013- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN.

Lap 2/11/2013- Removed endo. 

3/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    4/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    5/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN

June 2013- Time for a new RE!

July 2013- We're in Shared Risk! Love my new RE!
    August 2013- IVF#1- 14 R, 11F, transferred 1 perfect blast, 5 day 5 frosties= BFN.
    Sept 2013- Let's get ready for FET October 7th ish!< transfer 2 embies 10/11/13.......BFP 10/18/13!!!!/div>

PAIF/SAIF and everyone is welcome. If I can make even one person's journey less painful, I will consider my experience here successful. Thank you to all for sharing their stories, the intimate details of their lives, their knowledge, and their hearts. I hope this experience changes me, always for the better.
  • Loading the player...
  • You should add a siggy warning to your title. Most of the women on this board are TTC #1. Also, try checking out Secondary IF.
  • Hey and welcome to the board. You are so smart to be trying to get informed about your health. Clomid is a very serious medication. You are only allowed to do six cycles so before you waste a cycle you do want to make sure to address any underlying issue which is why it is so important to do the testing first. The testing usually consists if a semen analysis, an hsg, bloodwork, and ultrasounds during the cycle usually on CD3 and CD12.

The ultrasound during the cycle are very important so pleae make sure those are done. During the ultrasound they will see how you responded ie wht size your follicles are. I do not usually ovulate on my own so we also do an hcg trigger shot when my follicles are mature, generally over 18 mm, to ripen the follicle and ensure a good ovulation.

My RE doesn't like clomid as much as femara so maybe ask your dr about femara as an option. The femara is a tad bit more expensive but doesn't negatively affect the uterine lining, has fewer side effects, and although it produces fewer follicles my Re thinks the ones it makes are a little higher quality. Hope this helps. You are welcome to pm me if you hav additional questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"